Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Format ( By John Runne )

Format
    <hr style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I have a potential race sight here in N.C. that I'm working on. The sight is right in the center of town and will be packed with spectators. Due to the shape of the body of water I'm thinking of trying something new. It would be perfect for a triangular course with a LeMans start. The triangular course would keep all the action in front of the spectators. The LeMans start is exciting and easy to understand for the crowd, as well as challenging for the drivers. Most of all it should be much easier for the race commitee not to mention the program time should be signifacantly reduced. My only concern is whether Boat Racers are willing to give it a try. I believe an occational change in format may help our growth as well. Even if this is not a worthy topic, I'd still like to hear some opinions. Thanks, John Runne
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Retired racer input . . .

RUN IT! Your format would be fun, John. And a plus, no clock! Super plus, spectators would love it.
    carpetbagger

Comment

sounds good

sounds like fun to me .I would come from atlanta with three driver. mike

Comment

where in NC?

Large state...

The triangular course we ran in Grafton, WV was a lot of fun - great view of MJR starfishing out of his 250cch.

The last LeMans start I was in, I drew the lane next to my dad in CSH - he tried to push me into the guy next to me - very crafty driving by Big Dave...

Sounds like a lot of fun John - let me know if I can help.

Sean

Comment

It's a great idea John and the start is as much "fun" for the crew as it is for the driver.

If Sean and Ian aren't racing, we'll pit for the highest bidder.
          Need references? Talk to Gary
          Last edited by Dave_E71; 12-13-2004, 09:26 PM.
          I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
          The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

Originally posted by Admin
            Format

<HR style="COLOR: rgb(0,0,0)" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Due to the shape of the body of water I'm thinking of trying something new. It would be perfect for a triangular course with a LeMans start. The triangular course would keep all the action in front of the spectators.
            One of our local clubs has a race site in which they run a triangle course in a large protected bay. It is a lot of fun running a different course. Everyone seems to like it, and have never had any complaints. However, they still run a clock start. I don't think you can go wrong with it.
            Sattler Racing R-15
            350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
            TEAM VRP
            The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Just DO IT !

At the Region 2 race in Norwood , NY last June, we got blown out on Saturday, so the race committe put together some $$ for a 'dash for cash', CSR only. Six or eight boats entered, they started off the beach, no clock, two pit crew, one holding, one roping. They ran on a shortened course, normal turn two, and a single pin in front of the pits.
              It was the most entertaining race I saw all year.
              Big bonus is that this type of start speeds up the program , and the club loses the pleasure of setting up/dismantling, and manning a clock.
              Times can still be recorded.
              I say DO IT!
              Last edited by bh/; 12-13-2004, 09:51 PM. Reason: Error
              Brian Hendrick, #66 F
              "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

WHAT, NO CLOCK START!!!!! THAT WILL ELIMINATE 50% OF TIME THE RACE DAY TAKES AND 100% OF THE DOWN TIME!!

Dock/beach starts are coooool. I've done them all over the place. Anyone remember when the Title Series was 100% beach starts? 1982. I was second in my first 250 race. Seems a FA König was faster of the dock than a VA or a RA Yamato.
                " It's a sad day when you've outgrown everything"
                Art Pugh

Comment

John, you know I will be there!!! Any help you need you can count on me(little far away, but will make time to travel and help). Oh wait, let me check with my wife(hahaha). I'm there!!!!!

Matt Gallagher
                  58J
                  sigpic

Comment

Or try this....

This is Buddy Tennell's idea of an alternate start.

Still use a clock. All boats stage in one area togther, preferably near turn one, but with a triangle course you have more options.

Three minute gun fires (or a two minute gun or a one minute gun with a warm-up period). Once you enter the course, you must run the course. You cannot cross the start/finish line until "0". So timing is critical, but you can leave and run whenever you like. Probably want at least a 500 foot bouy to hold a straightline and may want to limit drivers running deep into a cove for flying start. Again, the intent is to largely hold to the course shape.

One benefit is to eliminate milling accidents. Testing would be important, so drivers can get the timing together.
                    David Weaver

Comment

I love the idea of a shorter triangle course. We race on one at Waterford, Canada, it is a true tri oval because of the shape of the small body of water. It is by far my favortie course to race on!!!

However, some classes are just not as Lemans start friendly.......I am not saying do not do it, but if you did I would just leave the Hot Rod classes off the schedule. Truthfully I would be kind of torn if I lived closer as to if I would attend or not....my 102 just does not start on the first pull....

Hope you try it though, would love to see how it goes.

Later,

Comment

Lemans Start

Sounds great John just the way you stated it, no clock, Lemans start and all. At the world 125's in Lakeland they had 15 boats and they all (except 2 or 3)started on the first pull and these were pro boats, which are not user friendly starters at all. To do this they were all allowed 3 men per boat, they lift and start the engines for warm up then shut them down and give the 15 second countdown for the start. My Hot Rods will start like this on the first pull. I think we could make it work for us with careful planning. Count me in I'll be there.

Comment

Engine start probs???

As others have pointed out, a Lemans start includes an engine warm up. That is better than a PA as the racious sound of a dozen (or more) antsy drivers goosing the throttle gets the spectators off chairs with cameras in hand!

Hot Rods are no more pesnickity about starting than any other engine, in my experiance. True, mine took three pulls cold, two to make it *pop* and #3 = VAROOM and I was out of the pits. Warm, one lame rope started the Rods, assuming the vacious brained driver (that would be me) had all the fuel thingers set right and remembered to hook up the kill cord.

From my time racing, lemans starts were way cool, and from my time on the judges stand, lemans starts are the greatest! Hold the green flag up, survey the drivers and pit crews to make sure all are paying attention - drop the flag! No clock to fuss over, less time wasted, and a buncha boats roaring off the beach in a pack is a thrill.
                          carpetbagger

Comment

race&amp;boat

John...back when we raced at mays landing,N.J.,the original course was somewhat of a triangle, a fun course to race!!!!! ps That is a fine looking csr you and Ryan built.if you could add 2/3 ft. Hank & I could run 2 man FRR !!!! ! pss, I bet Walker & Nuccio tongues are hanging out for this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BILL correct e-mail janenpc@bestnetpc.com 386 447 7746

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for all the input guys. If I can get local support it'll be a done deal.

Sean, the site we're talking about is in New Bern, NC.
                              John Runne
                              2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Working...
                              X