APBA site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English Please

Would y'all speak english for crying out loud !

I am not a programmer, or even remotley close to an IT type. I have a hard enough time navigating what I do.

A quick question, shouldn't a professional website support all browsers that the general public might be using ? I think the core group that currently participates in stock & mod outboard racing is not the type to go out and by the latest greatest software every two weeks. Am I way off base ? I have no clue, but it seems like their are upgrades to Firefox every week.

And for those that are having issues in getting a membership, if it were me, I would call the main office and do it over the phone with the credit card.
    Dave Mason
    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

A nickel's worth of free advice...

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
      Would y'all speak english for crying out loud !

I am not a programmer, or even remotley close to an IT type. I have a hard enough time navigating what I do.

A quick question, shouldn't a professional website support all browsers that the general public might be using ? I think the core group that currently participates in stock & mod outboard racing is not the type to go out and by the latest greatest software every two weeks. Am I way off base ? I have no clue, but it seems like their are upgrades to Firefox every week.

And for those that are having issues in getting a membership, if it were me, I would call the main office and do it over the phone with the credit card.
      The short answer is, yes. All browsers should support every website.

The webmaster answer is, it is impossible for every browser to support every website every minute of every day. Upgrades on websites and browsers occur every day, meaning one thing gets fixed and two more things break. It is a constant struggle. Code that works in one browser may not work in another, and a work-around must be found. Unfortunately, the user is the one who finds most of the usability issues. When they get reported, they can be repaired. The Internet is in a constant state of flux, and even the best site monitoring software can never catch every buggy issue.

My honest advice is simple. If you're using IE, use something else. (Chrome and Firefox are free downloads, by the way, and are proven to be more secure than IE when it comes to viruses and malware.) When the updates for your browser come down the pipeline, do not ignore them. If you find a problem with a website, first try a different browser, and if possible, a different computer. If the problem does not resolve, report it to that site's webmaster or that site's IT Administrator.

I hope this helps.
      Michael J. Mackey
      Lola Boatwerks Factory Foreman
      Pavlick Race Boats Factory Driver
      Yamato Aficionado
      21-V

Comment

I tried again, using Firefox, and it worked fine. My first post to them was to describe my experience.

I can readily accept your description of the "constant struggle," Michael, and am in no way critical of site hosts who have to deal with it. I just pass along the hang-ups I run into in hopes that the hosts can find a way to make things work for the next computer-dummy that comes their way.

Michael's solution, which is simple and obvious enough, is not so to somebody who has just turned 66 years old and is doomed to be frustrated by computer-related issues for the rest of his life. A lot of folk my age are so baffled by all the changes in modern life from the world into which we were born that it is a little like finding ourselves living in a foreign country, if not a slightly alien planet!!
        Last edited by Smitty; 04-19-2012, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I feel your pain.

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
          I tried again, using Firefox, and it worked fine. My first post to them was to describe my experience.

I can readily accept your description of the "constant struggle," Michael, and am in no way critical of site hosts who have to deal with it. I just pass along the hang-ups I run into in hopes that the hosts can find a way to make things work for the next computer-dummy that comes their way.

Michael's solution, which is simple and obvious enough, is not so to somebody who has just turned 66 years old and is doomed to be frustrated by computer-related issues for the rest of his life. A lot of folk my age are so baffled by all the changes in modern life from the world into which we were born that it is a little like finding ourselves living in a foreign country, if not a slightly alien planet!!
          Smitty:

First off, I'm glad Firefox worked for you. It's a very good browser; very stable and compatible with most websites. But there are some sites out there, as with IE, that just choke it into submission.

Secondly, I feel your pain about being overwhelmed by technology. I work with websites every day, and there is always something out there that causes me to scratch my head and wonder if we're really better off this way, or if it would be best to revert back to rotary-dial phones, printed books, and pen-and-paper. (But then I'd be out of a job -- at least my current one. I could learn book binding as a trade!)

Hang in there, and if you need any more help, don't be afraid to throw up a flag.

By the way, I did submit a new thread on the APBA site regarding your ReCaptcha and my Compatibility Mode issues. Hopefully they will be able to give some attention to it, but I would guess with a new site launch they've got a lot of other irons in the fire.

Have a great one!
          Michael J. Mackey
          Lola Boatwerks Factory Foreman
          Pavlick Race Boats Factory Driver
          Yamato Aficionado
          21-V

Comment

Originally posted by ZUL8TR View Post
            To follow up on my original question at the start of this thread I sent a direct email to APBA and they answered as follows:

------------------------------------------------------------
            Pete,

The old speed records are currently being converted to a nicer format and will be loaded on the site in that format as the site is developed more. In the mean time you can go here

https://www.apba-racing.com/resource...d-records-2780

to download the PDF version.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
            Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2012 10:23 AM
            To: apbahq@apba-racing.com
            Subject: APBA site info

APBA web site manager

Why were the speed records not included in the present web site, they were
            available on the old site?
            Personally I thought the old site was easier to use.

Thank you

Pete
            I'm looking for a kilo record from around 1970. Any ideas on where to look for this?
            Mark N

Comment

Records

Mark N

Look on page 3 the 7th post by me and left click on the link in the post for the records. All the records that APBA has are in the listing. Note that as records are broken they are replaced by the new so the record you are looking for may have been superceeded.

If trouble getting it look here

https://www.apba-racing.com/sites/al...;20Records.pdf
              Last edited by ZUL8TR; 04-27-2012, 12:40 PM.
              "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
              No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Actually the record I'm looking for is in a class that is no longer running and would have been broken in later years too. The record is a Kilo record in OPC
                in the SJ class from around 1970 to 1973 and set by Bob Holloway in a DelCraft. Anyone have old rule books?
                Mark Nelson

Comment

SJ Record is Still Held By Kenny Hoffman

Kenny broke the SJ record at Parker, Arizona at 105 MPH with a Seebold hull, Merc 1500XS and Ted March's Ron Hill 32 Cleaper...

Comment

Working...
                  X