A look inside Ecuador boat racing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A look inside Ecuador boat racing.

This is a great video to show what boat racing is like in Ecuador, South America. My friend Nelson Yela just posted this video to YouTube. These guys race nearly every weekend year 'round down there. A different venue every time, always in front of a crowd of fans. This is their rainy season right now, so that's why the river is flooded.

http://youtu.be/arT4ESNT5Bs
    Attached Files

Jeff, I share the link here another video of the races in Ecuador

http://youtu.be/1fBMAFWgRYE

Official website. http://ecuadorboatracing.com/
    Attached Files
    http://www.facebook.com/ecuadorboatracing

Comment

Jeff. thanks for sharing with friends the videos of our boat race championship in Ecuador.
      best regards from Ecuador.

Ecuador Boat Racing

http://youtu.be/0KmrH2tawtc
      Attached Files
      "LIKE" www.facebook.com/ecuadorboatracing
      sigpic

Comment

Ecuador

Those are great videos. No hydros?? Also why do some drivers have the motor trimmed way out? What happens when drivers run over all the junk in the water?? Are some of the motors being run 25ss mod motors?

Comment

Originally posted by 3autility View Post
          Those are great videos. No hydros?? Also why do some drivers have the motor trimmed way out? What happens when drivers run over all the junk in the water?? Are some of the motors being run 25ss mod motors?
          Some great questions.
          They only have two racing classes, called simply "Standard" and "Racing". And no, there are no hydros. Only runabouts. The Standard class is a service 25hp Mercury engine with a standard service engine gearcase. That is why those classes are trimmed out so far, to get the right attutude out of the rig with the big gearcase in back. The Racing class consists of both the Yamato 302 and the Mercury 25xs racing engines.
          Most of the junk in the water is nearly harmless Water Hyacinth. The props seem to cut right through them, if it's not a large concentration of it. There is always a danger of other debris in the water, sticks and logs carried by the swift current.

Comment

They sure do seem enthusiastic about it. How big of a ‘region’ does activity span? Not trying to put you on the spot with questions you may not have the answer to but if you do: Do you know how many boats/drivers participate yearly? How would you characterize the South American market activity (growing or shrinking) compared to us here in North America?
            Raymond

Have you or your team set up a social network page yet? Do your part to expose and promote the sport when you’re not racing and create a presence online today.

Comment

Raymond, Ecuador is about the size of Nevada. Of that, I would estimate 1/2 of that is active with kneel down boat racing. I would estimate there are 25 very active racers who will be seen racing every weekend. There are another 20 who pick and choose between 5 and 15 races per year.
              Judging with my limited historical knowledge of their racing circuit, I would guess their sport is at least maintaining it's current participation, perhaps expanding slightly.
              Attached Files

Comment

Motors and props

Looks like Don Allen's basement.

Comment

Here is the official promotional video for the Guayaquil to Vinces regatta 2012:
                  (I'll be there)

http://youtu.be/O5iLoH-9GyE

Comment

Very Nice.
                    Raymond

Have you or your team set up a social network page yet? Do your part to expose and promote the sport when you’re not racing and create a presence online today.

Comment

Although I never experienced apba stock outboard racing in its early years (1950’s or so), I’d imagine it to be very similar to what its like in Ecuador today. The rules are very basic, the classes are basic and the interest is very high. It reminds me of those old pictures and video’s you watch where you’d see hundreds of people watching the race and all the sponsorship banners, ect… If anyone ever wanted to feel what it was like to race here during the birth of Stock Outboard, go to Ecuador and experience it. I think it’s the closest thing to that experience today.

The “Racing” class is basically a slightly modified Yamoto 302. They add the megaphone and change out the yamoto carb with (I believe) is a merc carb. This combination seems to work GREAT. The motors run all day, everyday… they idle around with ease… This combination seems to be ideal. The boats are basically an Austin design (literally). Bobby Austin and crew came down in the early 80’s with a boat and they’ve been using that design since. The top speeds are between 68-70mph.

I think the sport down there is really taking off… as you can see they are buying motor’s like crazy. They have a couple really good boat builders down there and Dewald tells me that he sends props down there like crazy as well. The community is really into the sport. Sponsorship has exploded on the scene. Team V220 (Nelson and Jorge) is the team that helped Jeff and I last year and are helping Jeff’s again this year. V220 is an energy drink (basically Red Bull). In fact, I believe it is Red Bull, just the south American version.

Good luck Jeff, Nelson and Jorge and the rest of my friends down south. I can’t wait to see you guys again in 2013.

Comment

Josh, You describe Ecuador racing very well. And you're right about the popularity. A lot of new equipment is migrating to Ecuador. Speaking of new Equipment, I'm taking two new props from Craig DeWald in my luggage to deliver to a couple new racers. I may have to convince the customs officials that they are NOT throwing stars! Haha!

I'm sure a lot of people will be asking me where you are. You were quite a personality down there, and you really showed your racing talent. I will assure everyone that you will return for the big race in 2013.
                        Remember to bring sharpies!

Comment

Lower unit

Jeff
                          Did you get the lower unit okay???
                          Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cronk View Post
                            Jeff
                            Did you get the lower unit okay???
                            Tom
                            Tom, The lower unit arrived yesterday. You did a great job on it! I'll be sure to let everyone down there know where I got the thing shaped correctly, and made to look so good.
                            Thank you!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X