New APBA stock outboard class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifting to APBA website.

After today I am going to shift discussion to the new APBA website. See you all there I hope...naysayers included.

Comment

confused???

is this new class intended to attract (and retain) new racers or more of just a "spec" type class??? I would like to see it aimed more towards a "novice" type class, sort of an adult type C (J) class.........unlike other motorsports, there really is no "beginner" class (for people older than J age) to start in......they are basically "thrown to the wolves" and that is what seems to cause the lose of new members and it very understandeable......

the "spec" class idea should be left to the UIM OSY idea Guido has come up with, as that is where it is truly important worldwide.........stock and pro CAN work together on this!!!

the idea of allowing "veterans" in the new class idea still will discourage "new comers", as they will get discouraged from running at the back of the pack..............let them develop their skills and move up the 20/C classes............I also read that "some newcomers" would want to race with "veterans" to help hone their skills............well, seat time is where that is developed.............you wanna race with the "veterans".........RACE 20 or C!!

BTW, last time I checked a 302 was about $2100 plus tax..........not $3000

PS: all you %^*%*% in Reg10 *****ing at each other is just plain stupid............everyone has the right to voice their opinion...........
      Last edited by mercguy; 01-31-2012, 10:39 PM.
      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

New class

Class is going to be aimed at both new drivers and those current drivers that want to "step back a little" We are still working out the details as to who can run, but I do not see the need for a lot or restrictions on it. I do understand the concept of the UIM class, and we are going to work with them on this project. However....as I see it...the 302 they use is not factory sealed..at least not to my knowledge. And...you will be able to one stop shop for equipment....something never before done in APBA. Laters..

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
          BTW, last time I checked a 302 was about $2300 plus tax..........not $3000
          In post 23 of this thread...

Originally posted by CSH12M View Post
          A Stock Yamoto will be $3,000
          I was thinking there would be premium for a sealed motor.. Just speculation but it seemed reasonable based on what Dean posted...

Comment

the "spec" class idea should be left to the UIM OSY idea Guido has come up with, as that is where it is truly important worldwide.........stock and pro CAN work together on this!!!

One question I would like to ask with all Guedio and Wart have discussed on forums, ECT. What did the PRO commission think/ do about this new idea in the meeting this year?

I think Dave and Co. is on the right track here, perhaps this could be a APBA stock class as well as a true UIM class (with different hulls as ness.) as different regions run different classes, remember Darren your old region has a hard time getting more than 3-4 C's or 20's and any race from within their own let alone what other regions are doing around the country.

We did run the "local C class" last year a few times with GREAT results, it was nice to see the back markers run up front and not lose the reason to stay home next season after getting their butts kicked all year and to look forward to another fun season in C, 20, OSY and local C.

Hone your skills in any class? You bet!! you can hone well driving in crap water all season long and then get board after spending about $1,000.00 a weekend running last for only so long, wonder why go carts have taken off so well.

Sue and I are very serious (more last fall than now since the meeting) about purchasing a bunch of "local C" props from Ron Hill (if the price is right) with the idea maybe APBA might see the light in a year or so and buy them back just to see this class take off in region 10 as it was the BEST NEW CLASS on the water. Trust mewill not a light investment, but for our love of racing it would be a small price to pay to keep our region going in the right direction.

I would suggest everybody lay off slamming this forum the for a while, let the committee get good input and see where this goes in the next few months.

C.C.

Comment

Carl

Hey,,,,had to put a new sim card in my cell, don't have your number. gimme a call wed afternoon. Davey

Comment

Originally posted by CSH12M View Post
                Bill are you really serious?

You mentioned that Novice C in your area was a good class. Won't this replace your novice C class, but on a National level.

I believe this class can take off. A Stock Yamoto will be $3,000 a used CSH $1,500 plus the cost of a Stock prop. This is going to be the cheapest anyone can compete within Stock Outboard. The bonus is they will "really" be able to compete. It will allow the "hobby" racer to be able to race a few weekends a year and not be resigned to finishing last! If this class it introduced the way I think it will be, I think MHRA will have 4-6 within a year.

Thanks,
                Dean
                Just a note that on Ric Montoya's site a new Yamato 302 is $2095 plus shipping..If it costs $905 to seal an engine I am in the wrong business. I thought the idea was to keep the cost down.. Goop to putty a few nuts and bolts could be done at the first race after a inspection and it should be good until a repair is needed.. Have the spec props made with a 15MM hole and no further expense will be needed on the motor.
                Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Ric indicated price on new 302 out of the box, untouched, is $2095.

Comment

Great idea for a new class just a thought on a sealed motor which is ok but you better have a spare powerhead or a second motor as Im sure if it needs to be sent out for repair the turn around time in the peak racing season wont be quick, just saying
                    Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

I was discussing some of the ins and outs of the new idea with a few individuals in Chicago and one of the difficult aspects to figure out was whether or not restrictions should be placed on who can race it. The evolution of the class will be the determining factor in that, but at the start it will be difficult for most regions to have enough "new" or "relatively new" people to race the class without having veterans participate.

As more new people began to participate barriers could be placed on who can race it, but for now I think the only way to manage it, based on pure numbers alone is to allow everyone. We don't have enough of us around to be restrictive.

Propellers: This could be figured out already, but how are propellers going to work? People going to bring a couple, everyone throw them in the middle and then draw names for who races what? Otherwise, are their enough of the bone stock propellers that came from Yamato back in the day to create a couple sets to use? Is there anyway we can contact the Yamato company to find out if we can purchase used 2 blades they no longer use in the stadiums? I'm sure this has all been discussed, but I hadn't heard anything about it yet.

By the way this is a great concept and I hope it takes off, hats off to Dave and the others for trying something out of the box.

Comment

just might have to change my log in name!

I think its a GREAT idea!! -- I talked of this a few years ago when the Sidewinder was just being developed but the idea got lost in the motor/class topic- dialog.

Dave, I fully agree with Ray about limiting the class, I think full parity of the boats,motors,props, would be a blast to run, its now just the luck of buying the right motor, picking the right bag with the prop in it(from scorers table) the morning of the race and NOW ITS YOU AND 12 GUYS (gals)!! FUN!!
                        And as a older racer with experience, This class just may bring me back out!

To be Honest if it was in a slower class it would still be as much FUN because I think side by side racing at ANY speed is Great!

The bottom line is EASE of getting "in" for lots of people, not just cost!

Great Idea guys!!

Leave the motor JUST AS IT CAME FROM Ric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Props in a bag, you get in the morning of the race, number stamped into it!

Hull just weight rule

Just my not wanted .02$$

Your Welcome in advance

Todd A.

Comment

Originally posted by G Stillwill View Post
                          Great idea for a new class just a thought on a sealed motor which is ok but you better have a spare powerhead or a second motor as Im sure if it needs to be sent out for repair the turn around time in the peak racing season wont be quick, just saying
                          They dont break

Comment

OH, one more thing----- the 302 runabout class shall be ROLL UP!

Comment

Boats

Boats, this part of the equation has hot been disused here. A one stop shop is not possible with the boat part because of shipping cost. What I think would be best is a reasonable +/- measurements on key areas so at least 75% of the C Hydros out there are legal. That way a new hull could bought from various boat builders across the country or to keep your start up cost low buy a used hull or build one from plans or a kit.
                              Darrell Sorensen

Comment

...no need for emotional diatribe on this issue. I am sure it will develope as those with the controls wish. I got started in racing in the early 60s and waited almost 40 years to come back to it. In the last 12 years ,I have seen several "new " classes and others disappear. I have seen no evidence that our sport has gained signifigant new participation as a result. In the 60s, our style of boat racing was a pretty big deal. The most dramatic difference I see is the lack of engagement with communities and fans. I'm as guilty as many...I don't much care if anyone watches the races and I don't care if there is prize money. I am encouraged that there are some race venues where our sport gets an exposure. I'll never be convinced that a new class will be any more fun,exciting,or even safer than what we already have. If APBA is making this investment ,I can only hope I am wrong.
                                Hunter III

Comment

Working...
                                X