New APBA stock outboard class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redundancy...

Why would this new class be more attractive than what we already have? We have no less than 9 classes that use the OMC or Merc 15. It would be easy and cost effective for one to buy one boat, one motor, one propeller, and two restrictor plates while having plenty of options for myself AND my son or daughter to race. Speed comes from doing your homework, not having 25 props in your trailer. A Stock hydro would be pretty close to the same speeds as this new class but my 9 year old cant race my 302 yamato. Or if I do want to purchase a yamato, it is only good for this new class and will not be competetive in C stock or OSY or even 20ssh for that matter. On top of that how would I expand my knowledge if I have to send it off to be rebuilt? Point is we have plenty of stepping stones as it is. If competetivness gets sand in your picnic as a new racer maybe you should go buy the latest Xbox game, type in the cheat codes and stay on the couch.
    -Nick Hooten

Comment

A few other points

Thank you everybody for the great ideas on how to make this work....a few other things I need to add to my earlier post (s). We originally went into the new class committee and asked for both runaboat and hydro....they said we could only chose one, so it was hydro. Sorry runaboat guys and girls...we had to chose. But, in the future I would love to see chine turners added to the class. And, at this point, ANYBODY can run the class...whether it be a seasoned vet like myself or a brand new racer...but you do have to be over 16. More thoughts to come later. David

Comment

Well done!

I will admit, I was surprised to see this approved. The Novice C Class that was run in R10 last season was the genesis for this class, and though the proposal and some of class basics of the proposal are different, the intent is the same, which is to give new drivers AS WELL AS inexperienced drivers the opportunity to complete on a more level playing field than the current configuration of C Stock classes afford.

Could it have been accomplished by continuing to run it as a Local Class? Probably. However, the majority of the Stock Commissioners elected to represent their peers seemed to think it was a compelling enough idea that they moved to adopt the concept on a National basis. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Will it get back the 6 members SO lost as a category in 2011 from 2010, or maybe even pick up a few? Time will tell.

In the meantime, Kudos to the SORC for thinking Big Picture, I hope clubs that need a program like this and are willing to try it will do so. And to the Commission and the class committee members, I would encourage you to ignore the naysayers...especially when one in particular has a difficult time supporting the sport by even showing up at his local races.

Finally: If you're gonna throw stones, at least increase your participation level in the sport enough to where your credibility and input has some validity, because right now there's a lot of people at least locally who consider you a laughing stock. I'm just sayin'....

"Arrogantly" yours,

R-19
        Last edited by sponsonhead; 01-30-2012, 02:56 PM.
        www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

222r

I agree with Bill.
          Lets fix what we already are running.

Comment

Thank you Patrick

In all honesty, I was stunned that it got approved....I have been told by others that getting a new class thru the new class committee and the BOD can take years....but it is done and now the real work starts. Thank you for the kudos Patrick Gleason...it means a heck of a lot to me. David.

Comment

I love it guys.....nice work. If I can help in anyway, please let me know.
              Shawn Breisacher

Comment

[QUOTE=pearson95m;195465]
                3.) Ergonomics – Remember that we all come in many different shapes and sizes. Having rules that make it difficult for certain body types to participate in the class would be counterproductive.

So at the risk of bringing a little levity to this emotional topic I couldn't help but notice Josh's comment. I guess this means that I can stop saying “I'm only a few pounds overweight” or “I'm just big boned”. Now I can honestly say “I'm ergonomically different”....................Thanks Josh !

Cheers,
                Sam

Comment

Stock class?

From an outsider to the "stock" world looking in from modified, I am pretty amused by the complaining about how a truly stock engine wouldn't be able to compete with what is currently running under the guise of a stock engine.

I always thought the whole premise of stock was that anybody could buy the engine, do some homework by way of testing, props and setup and be at least marginally competitive. Why should a new engine need to be sent to several people to be worked on to have a chance at competing? I am not saying that someone should be able to walk in off the street and beat someone who has worked very hard for the result, but to complain about a truly stock class running in the division that bears that name is pretty interesting......

Steve Roskowski

Let the bashing begin!!!!

Comment

This type of class is exactly what SORC needs. Very surprised this type of class hasn't started earlier. Can't wait to see this happen.

Comment

limit the veterans...........

I would suggest limiting the "veteran" racers into this class, as we all know that "driving skill" is what wins a LOT of races.............newcomers do not necessarily have these skills yet and the "vets" would dominate the class right of the bat..........and discourage the new racer.........

maybe eliminate the "vet" that has raced for longer than 5yrs.........

sorry Dean but they could probably put you in the slowest boat and you would still beat the "newby" in the fastest boat..........
                      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Stock outboards, more modified than modified

Steve Dunn 10-Z

Comment

More info

Just came in from a 6 mile jog....something I needed to clear the mush out of my brain...Darren brings up a good point..there will be a limit on vet. drivers somehow..nothing too drastic, but it will happen. Here is so more info for you guys and gals to chew on: In my first post I indicated who the committee members will be...here is how the work will be distributed: Jeff Brewster like I said is ex-officio, he will be point person with the BOD of APBA, Christine (his wife) will be secretary and keep us all in line, Mike Pavlik will be in charge of hull specs and aquisition, Kyle Bahl will be in charge of props, safety gear, and misc stuff, Tom Johnson will be in charge of motor specs and inspection matters, Paul Nielander is in charge of all promotions, as well as working with Crown Partners, and finally I am chairman of the project. For those naysayers out there, such as Bill Dingman, Mr Hooten, etc...it is not that I do not respect your opinion...I do. But I am up to my neck with this thingtime wise, as well as getting my own equipment ready for race season...if you guys could put ahttp://www.hydroracer.net/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif at the beginning of your post it would sure save me a lot of time on this thing...like I said I am only reading posts with ideas etc to make this thing work..I have a notebook that I am writing everything down in..when the final specs for class is submitted to APBA in a few months, I will go back and read negative posts and see if there is info in them we can use to make the class better. More later, David

Comment

Two things:

1. Make sure you know what the Pro Commission is trying to do with UIM OSY here in the States - work together for the better of all.

2. Work out a financing plan either through commercial CC's (Just like going to a dentist for a big procedure - most don't have cash on hand, but go through a CC for one-time financing) OR private financing. I would be willing to finance a handful of setups (boat, paint, motor, prop, gear): 25% down, remaining due within two-years OAC and a fellow racer co-signing the new-racer's note as a "responsible, big-brother".
                            http://vitalire.com/

Comment

Ideas

Great ideas John....this is the type of stuff we are looking for. ON a side note...back when I was running the Mercury Challenge series.....you could actually buy a 44XS or a 25XS thru Mercury on credit....I thought that was so cool. One more thing...Mr Dingman...I am a little confused on one issue. What was it myself or Kyle Bahl was supposed to bring up at the commission meeting that you wanted discussed? I have been trying to think of something you wanted talked about, but it is not coming to me. As far as the Tohatsu d height, I did vote for it...after I was grilled as to the speeds I have seen last year etc. I gave totaly honest answers, and on the basis the thing went down to defeat.

Comment

Mini-Bikes

I just helped a group of my friends start a "Mini-Bike Challenge". Rules are simple: 12" rear wheel, anything else goes. In our group, we now have 14 or 15 brand-new mini-bikes all tricked out, ready to roll.

Point I'm making, I'm the only one who strait-up bought my bike - every one else financed it along with all their new gear - around the 4k range. (5k x 14 = $56,000)

The kids who all bought these bikes know I race boats; a few have even come testing and gone to the races. But with the ease of going into the dealership, signing some paperwork, getting a new bike (and new bill) is a pretty sweet deal for some.
                                http://vitalire.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X