102 vs 302 for first motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 102 vs 302 for first motor

Since it appears that I will be starting out in one of the "C" classes (OSY 400 or 20 SSH) with a lay down boat, I need to choose a motor.
    There is a very nice 102 available locally, but the seller (a MOST helpful chap!) tells me that those motors, being points ignition, require more maintenance than the 302.
    And, he says that some parts are getting hard to find.
    A new 302 would be more expensive up front ($2800 ready to race with prop shaft, head work and gear case smoothed?), but less fiddling during the season.
    Any thoughts or suggestions here?
    Thanks!
    Bob Cowgill
    Mims, Florida

Originally posted by Bmwbob View Post
    Since it appears that I will be starting out in one of the "C" classes (OSY 400 or 20 SSH) with a lay down boat, I need to choose a motor.
    There is a very nice 102 available locally, but the seller (a MOST helpful chap!) tells me that those motors, being points ignition, require more maintenance than the 302.
    And, he says that some parts are getting hard to find.
    A new 302 would be more expensive up front ($2800 ready to race with prop shaft, head work and gear case smoothed?), but less fiddling during the season.
    Any thoughts or suggestions here?
    Thanks!
    Bob Cowgill
    Mims, Florida
    You have said it all.. Plus some folks still want 302 prices for 102's that are hard to get parts for.. If you buy a used 302 just make sure it has the small plugs..

If I were you I would get a new 302 then you can focus on driving and set up. The motors take care of themselves.. Just change the oil in the foot often..
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Im partial to the 102 myself.It is more maintnance.I used to set the timming before each race and it was good for the weekend.But thats just my thought.Both would be a good choice for you.
      Bob

Comment

Yamato

302 is the way to go. It's currently in production and parts are readily available. Make it easier on yourself.
        Shawn Breisacher

Comment

If you would want to race OSY400 you need the 302. From what Ive heard & seen 302 has more torque but a good 102 hydro can be as fast as one with a 302
          Team Tower

Comment

302!!

302 no question about it!!!!!!!
            Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

^^^^^^^agreed^^^^^^^

302 fosho

CMH. 61R
              Short Fuze Racing
              Team Darneille
              ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
              IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

302 all the way

Clamp on and go. Probably the single best Stock outboard engine made in my opinion. Requires low maintance, simple, and always runs (as long as set up properly). Can't go wrong, Oh and Ricky the dealer has about 60 sitting in his garage ready to sell in Seattle.
                Kyle Bahl
                20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Is the 102 still legal in all classes ?

CMH. 61R
                  Short Fuze Racing
                  Team Darneille
                  ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
                  IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

Kg4

Hey KG4...is that a Fiberform Waikiki with a 6 Mercury Tower of Power? I had one up until last year....just curious.....

Comment

Since you will be driving a lay down, my suggestion is to call Diane Murray, ask what she and Pete did to get her running so well and then copy exactly what she did to start. She always ran very strong and up front with her laydown. She already invented the wheel - just copy it.

Comment

Considering lay-down configuration and engine choice

I concur with Doug, contact Diane regarding the lay-down configuration. Also, note the UIM OSY400 class: nearly all hulls are lay-downs as well. Try to contact some of those teams and see what input you can gather within the scope of the set-up (driver position, weight distribution, motor position or rather gear case position relative to the trailing-edge). Keep in mind the UIM guys follow different rules, but may have some helpful insights.

As far as your immediate decision between a 102 and 302. My vote is for the 302. Many will claim that the 102 is a "faster" motor. I have found this is true in 2 ways: the motor is capable of slightly higher RPMs than a 302 and the straightaway speed can be slightly higher. However, the 302 would be the quicker motor. Personally, I have driven both and the 302 generates more thrust out of the corner (at lower RPM's) and generally stays on its power band. The 102 feels less powerful in these situations.

The 302 is also considerably less tedious to maintain due to its electronic ignition. Its parts are readily available and prices are reasonable. This is your motor. Contact Rick at RPM marine 2062834773 for a quote on a new one, with a 9/16 prop shaft and 14mm head. These are necessary components that will make your racing experience considerably less difficult.
                        28-R

Comment

Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
                          Hey KG4...is that a Fiberform Waikiki with a 6 Mercury Tower of Power? I had one up until last year....just curious.....
                          Thats an Avenger Mach by Cee Bee with 1500 merc.Runs great but is a handful over 60.
                          Bob

Comment

Kg4

Looks like it is about 17 feet long...and a carbon copy of my Waikiki, which was rated for 115hp....It would do a little over 40 at full throttle...and lemme tell you, there is nothing like the sound of a Tower of Power at full speed....I don't think my rig could have handled a 150....Dave

Comment

Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
                              Looks like it is about 17 feet long...and a carbon copy of my Waikiki, which was rated for 115hp....It would do a little over 40 at full throttle...and lemme tell you, there is nothing like the sound of a Tower of Power at full speed....I don't think my rig could have handled a 150....Dave

you wuss, your boat would handle a 150...................****, I had a 200 V6 on my old Tahiti...........you just gotta have the balls to squeeze the throttle.............
                              Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X