No announcement yet.

Expiration Date on Racing Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to agree with Bill Van! We don't need more regulations and rules. It just isn't necessary........
    But- it does get people talking about something and that is good!
    Last edited by B1PRORACER; 12-29-2011, 04:03 PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

out of date

Are you kiddin me. I run and maintain 50 year old stuff. Sure it breaks but it is always as fresh as I can make it. And I race with weights mandated, no problem it is still fun. Again no dates on equipment, but nothing wrong with being inspected. Come on spring. Too many people with nothing to do but come up with bad ideas.
      David Everhart S52
      David Everhart S52
      Avatar credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Expiration date? NO.

We have inspectors, and last time I checked the inspector had the power, and duty, to inspect our equipment and deem it serviceable, or not.

An example: A properly built and maintained wood boat could possibly outlive the driver's competitive years.

Likewise, well maintained other equipment will last decades.

Improvements in technology and design obsolete moat of our equipment before it comes close to its serviceable lifetime. Just check your prop box for all the also rans.

And as Mr Steenwick pointed out, show me the numbers. If one can provide a handful of accident reports that identify a specific problem, than that problem needs to be addressed.
        carpetbagger

Comment

i thing rick has about 75 302 s he needs to sell

Comment

I think this is a feather ruffling post to pass those long winter days
            Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

I don't know Mr. Montoya well enough (or at all) to comment on his sense of humor or "feather ruffling" ideas, but since I first paid dues to APBA (1968) I have seen many other ideas such as this that served little purpose in the name of "safety" and have caused or have the opportunity to cause unneeded expense for the racer, and do nothing to make them any safer.

If the replies to the OP are any indication, there seems to be little support for the idea, except for possible inspection of safety equipment such as what is worn on the person. Some may remember several years ago when all racing members had to have their life jackets "re-certified". I think most active at that time remember what happened then with that mandate. As has been previously mentioned, if the Referee is doing their job, problems that arise THAT ARE OBVIOUS, can be picked up at the start of the racing season, and possibly at the Nationals or other large event drawing a large number of participants. Lacking the earlier criteria mentioned, namely "show me the accidents caused" this should be sufficient. Peer policing can also be helpful by mentioning something to a fellow participant if an obvious problem exists. If the problem is not rectified, then official correction could be tried by Referee notification, and contact by them to the offender.

Ideas like this one by the OP, whether made in jest or not, sometimes take on a life of their own, depending on category commissioner agendas.

Best to head them off before they have a chance to take on that "life", and polish someones resume in APBA leadership.
              Last edited by bill van steenwyk; 12-30-2011, 12:38 PM.

Comment

rikky,,, luv ya,,, but we all cheep,,,come on,,, if they had a walmart for racing we would all be there,,,

Comment

Originally posted by form-e one View Post
                  rikky,,, luv ya,,, but we all cheep,,,come on,,, if they had a walmart for racing we would all be there,,,
                  Now thats funny but Oh so true!!
                  Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Mike was right. It was a Feather Ruffling Post.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks that our micro management leaders are pushing the envelope of safety vs. extinction of the sport. I personally feel if I want to drive a 1972 VW Bug that doesn't have airbags, that's my choice. However some of the push for safety may be insurance related. If it is, we may see more items declared as safety related in the future.

My favorite post was Bowman’s “How about the drivers”

Thanks for you input and I look forward to seeing you all at the races.

Comment

Ruffling

With all ruffling aside I did here some rumers that our safety gear may have a date placed on it. If this becomes true I see a lot of our veteran racers saying the heck with it because they are not going to spend that kind of money for a short time. As Mr. Bill Huson started We have inspectors.

Mike

Comment

Drivers

Some of our drivers are waaaay to old to know what their doing!

Bruce

Comment

Bruce- You must be joking....right?

Comment

Originally posted by racnbns View Post
                            Some of our drivers are waaaay to old to know what their doing!

Bruce
                            Hey, I resemble that remark!
                            carpetbagger

Comment

waaaay to old

My wife already has visions of me being tooooo old. I don't think so. I still act like a kid, think like a kid, and don't remember getting this old. Does any body else have this problem remembering? Gee what was I talking about again
                              David Everhart S52
                              David Everhart S52

Comment

waaaay to old

My wife already has visions of me being tooooo old. I don't think so. I still act like a kid, think like a kid, and don't remember getting this old. Does any body else have this problem remembering? Gee what was I talking about again
                                David Everhart S52
                                David Everhart S52

Comment

Working...
                                X