No announcement yet.

New topic week of 11/21/04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If APBA were to make a rule stating that hydros must have some sort of crushable pickle-fork or a rounded pickle-fork of some kind, then it must be for both hydros and runabout. I just finished building a new CSR last summer and it has a pointed nose, purely for looks, but I would be willing to change it if that were the case.

The only difference between a pointed nose vs. a duck bill nose, would be the increase in surface area of the top deck. This would allow more air to travel over the top deck creating more lift from the decks. Yes, you can still get a good "V" in the bottom even if the boat does not come to a point.

One of my favorite runabouts was my little 60-J, duck bill, cloth deck, Austin. I won one J-mod nationals and set one record with that boat.
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
    JH/JR

Comment

Retro-fit??????????????

I just came back from the barn were I was mounting studded snows on Beth's Cherokee. Yep it went from 50 degrees with rain to 30 and snowing hard this Thanksgiving morning!!!
      Gotta love this northwest Pa. weather!

While out there I was admiring my three wood hydros that are standing against the wall next to my 85 Mustang GT and my motorhome.
      Webster Bsh/Amh
      Pavlick 20ssh/Csh
      Schlipf Csh/D-classic

Matt is in possesion of my carbon rig for refinish and maybe any up-dates he has time for.

While breaking down the last tire on my old May manual tire machine I looked over and saw a hack-saw sitting on the bench.
      I could almost hear the wood rigs start to cry as they seemed to Know my thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!

How would you refit an older rig?
      would you cut the pickle off at say a 45 degree angle, cap the ends and dowel pin it back on?
      Take my 10" body grinder to the first 3-4 inches of the points, stuff the opening with a sponge and glass it over?
      Duct tape an old size 13 boot over the point?

Hey maybe that last idea would work! A slip over "bumper/slipper" that could be epoxied/riveted on. Could be made out of light weight rubber?

Gotta find my "Rambo" knife to cut the soles off those old boots

Just some thoughts from a non-woodworker

Matt go ahead and use my rig for a retro/ginnee-pig. Your far enough away that I won't hear it cry!!!
      Might as well "Git-er done" while you have it. (I git me a gut feel'n this gonn'a happ'n soon'r or lat'r. )

(Hopefully you havn't smashed your moniter before you got to this post )

I had a couple close ones at Loch Haven. Thankfully this rig turns like a "Go-Kart on rails" and I had no trouble avoiding trouble! Looking back though, If I had not crossed over Jimmy Robb Jr's wake to his left side, just before he blew through the bottom of his rig when it nosed in at the start of BMH, I would of been right on top of him.........

Time for a Coors light and carve the turkey.---Have a great day all!!!!!!

19P GOING FASTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 11-25-2004, 09:24 PM.
      100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Jeff, no, I do not sleep.
        Joe, don't give away your secrets.
        Also, I would just like to add, the point of a runabout sits about 8 inches higher than those of a hydro. You're most likely going to go up and over(ask Jay Thompson about Loch Haven) or barrel roll in most cases.

Matt Gallagher
        58J
        sigpic

Comment

Burt Hoefs round nose runabout

This past year Burt hoefs went to the xtent of glueing a foam ball to the nose of his FE Runabout. I don't belive driver saftey was his intention as much as avoiding paying for those turn pins that kept jumping in front of him and getting destroyed.
          DOUG SCHULTZ--HERE FOR THE SUPPORT OF OUR SPORT

Comment

Fox Craft runabouts all had round type noses.

tunnel boats have had ongoing rule changes regarding collapsable pickles for the past five years. See the opc rules book. We cut the pickles off and add a 3/4 inch bulk head at least 4 inches in diameter to tie all the stringers together (very important). Then we add a rounded cone for absorbtion and deflection. We made this rule retroactive so that all boats not just new ones had to comply. The majority of people then add a fake collapsable pickle made of thin fiberglass over the top

Comment

Working...
            X