Lifejacket Specifications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifejacket Specifications?

Does anyone know what the specifications are for a legal lifejacket? I assume that the European produced lifejackets must comply to the U.I.M. rules. Is a lifejacket that is U.I.M. complient automatically legal to use in APBA races?
    In other words- could we race in APBA races with a European lifejacket....?

Peter Crowley

Lifejacket Specs

Peter,

APBA groups its lifejackets in 3 broad categories: A/A-100, B and C, based on the type of cockpit you have in your boat (open cockpit or restrained/safety cell type). Each category has specific requirements for construction methods and materials. Whether other jackets made by other UIM affiliates are in compliance would probably depend on the jacket being used. That said, it's interesting to note that Bob Wartinger, UIM Safety Chair, wears a US-manufactured A-100 jacket in his kneeldown. He has certainly seen all the options out there.

Attached is a copy of the latest spec published by APBA. Happy reading!

R-19
    Attached Files
    www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

Thanks Pat. It would be difficult to determine whether or not a lifejacket from Europe would meet these rules? I did like the lifejacket that the friend of Ralph Donald had at the PRO Nationals. It was a side entry- similar to the old Gentex....

Comment

Peter: Check your PMs.

R-19
        www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

Working...
        X