Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much are you willing to pay for a new composite boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can tell you right now folks think $500 for a good full size set of prints is to much and most think $2500 to $3300 for a new boat that only needs hardware is to much so good luck with anything over $2000 right now..
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

I've been in Matt's shop many, many times in the past and have probably seen upwards of 6 or 7 Arltralite panel boats being made and I can tell you that Matt's boats are absolutely awesome. He also built Blair's SST-60 (the same one that Rob Rinker just won 2011 APBA Hall of Champions with after Blair sold it to Joe Shulte.

For those guys out there that consistently win races at the regional and national level, they understand that a top runner doesn't come easy or cheap. You always get what you pay for and today $5000 isn't a shocker any more.

Comment

Matt, I've had some success running one of your boats, the Blue Devil. I've heard about 10 different stories how it was created, each a little different, but it keeps me entertained.

This last year, I did a full cost analysis on materials and time to build a carbon boat. Curiously enough, my GF was on the team that built the molds, laid up material, bagged and accuracy measured the 787 wing set – she has the full skill set to put a boat together. Point is, I kept coming up with numbers around 7k for a carbon boat. That’s a lot of money, no matter who you are, even when I can accept CC's – that’s why we haven’t built a boat; besides propellers are way more fun to play with.
        http://vitalire.com/

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
          I can tell you right now folks think $500 for a good full size set of prints is to much and most think $2500 to $3300 for a new boat that only needs hardware is to much so good luck with anything over $2000 right now..
          Seems only wall mart can do well selling to the people who will or can not spend much.

But all there stuff is made in a third world country and not subject to the high costs of the prosperous USA. Stick around USA might be a Third World country soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
            There's only one way to make a small fortune in boat racing...and that is to start with a large fortune...A new boat is worth between 2500 and 3500 dollars. Build boats because you like to build boats. If you want to make money build golf clubs. They appeal to a larger crowd and you win money when you do it competitively. Prize money brings bigger budgets. A boat is a perishable item, they are good for a few years and then it is time for a new one.
            I am not going to build anymore boats out of the goodness of my heart. If someone wants me to build a boat, its going to cost $8000 minimum. Anyone that thinks it is worth any less should build a few themselves.

Maybe everyone just goes to boat races to show off their RVs and trailers.

Comment

I agree

Originally posted by matthias View Post
              I am not going to build anymore boats out of the goodness of my heart. If someone wants me to build a boat, its going to cost $8000 minimum. Anyone that thinks it is worth any less should build a few themselves.

I totally agree......

Comment

Originally posted by pops67g View Post
                With all the thrust toward attracting new racers I certainly cannot see where any boat builder can get what they are really worth. Taking one of my classes (DSH) as an example the breakdown would be: New boat $8ooo (Painted and rigged?, probably not), New motor $6500, a couple of props $700, Helmet and kevlar $1200........ This adds up to about $16400. This does not sound like the easily affordable sport that is being held up to potential newbies. I know the prices are only approximate and a lot of the stuff needed to race is not even mentioned here. Additionally, what is the point of superlight boats in any class that has a minimum weight? I have to add about 20 lbs. of lead to make weight with my old-fashioned wood boat.
                Its not just about the weight!

Comment

Its not just about the weight!
                  I'm guessing stiffness?

Comment

Moby Grape Boatworks

I plan on turning out 3 boats this winter and probably won't make any money out of any of them. I am the reason people think boats are overpriced, but it keeps me off my ass and out of the bars, so what do I care.
                    Moby Grape Racing
                    "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

Comment

Originally posted by propnuts View Post
                      I plan on turning out 3 boats this winter and probably won't make any money out of any of them. I am the reason people think boats are overpriced, but it keeps me off my ass and out of the bars, so what do I care.
                      I have to agree..It keeps me busy and for me a good way to lose weight since we dont eat the best out racing..As long as I get enough to cover the materials I am happy and it gets another racer on the water.
                      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Originally posted by Composite Specialties View Post
                        I totally agree......
                        Been saying this for years--Boat racing is the cheapest racing there is, but we do hang on and take cruises,buy 50.000.00 tow vehicles, Bass boats, muliy hundreds of thousands on Campers, thousands on trailers but complain when the entry fee goes up $5.00 go figure???

Pat

Comment

Panels

Matt,
                          Are you interested in selling any carbon panels?

- Mike

Comment

Originally posted by raceright View Post
                            Been saying this for years--Boat racing is the cheapest racing there is, but we do hang on and take cruises,buy 50.000.00 tow vehicles, Bass boats, muliy hundreds of thousands on Campers, thousands on trailers but complain when the entry fee goes up $5.00 go figure???

Pat
                            So True!!!
                            bill b

Comment

Originally posted by pav225 View Post
                              Matt,
                              Are you interested in selling any carbon panels?

- Mike
                              Matt might do better just selling his carbon panels.
                              bill b

Comment

Boats for sale

Have been trying to sell two Pro BOATS for the last 2 years under $2500.00.
                                1-125H, Nats Champ,Nats Hi Point,Record Holder.
                                1- 250H,Nats champ,Nats Hi Point,Record Holder, Hall Of Champs.

These boats are still in warehouse, nobids,or sales.
                                What I,m getting at is no one is spenting money on boats.I can't
                                aford to build a boat under $4000.00 any more with the cost of
                                ever thing going up.
                                My Hardware sales is down 50% from last year,but I still carry a
                                full inventory in stock.( At this time )

Every body needs to look at what direction we are going and where
                                we need help for YOUR SPORT

Tom (retired)
                                TEC-CRAFT HYDROS
                                REG 5 PRO COMM.

Comment

Working...
                                X