A Stock story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Stock story

A 5 to 10 knot wind blows across the harbor from the south, making the water inside the break wall a tad choppy for stock outboard racing. A fleet of spectators line the shore, and outside the marked course in their Lymans, Chris Crafts, and Cruiser runabouts packed with a picnic basket with home made sandwiches, and a glass bottle containing coke or pepsi sitting in the metal cooler filled with ice recently purchased.

The boats are lines up on the beach, each driver talking to each other about different tactics and which lanes they are going to take for the run. This morning will be a Leman's start, with the driver sitting on the beach with their motors off. It's Saturday and most drivers are surrounded by friends and families, all of whom have been here before. There is the smell of a mixture of oil and gas that only an outboard can make floating in the air, and a familiar rumble as motors are dried fired, . There is an excitement feeling in the air, and a pit in the stomach of most drivers, wondering not only if their engine adjustments, prop selection, and other enhancements were just right for this first heat. Some are already thinking about the post race pot luck dinner and what stories will be told when they get together after dinner around a camp fire.

Sounds like a familiar scene that takes place almost every weekend somewhere across the country in the warmer months, right? The only thing different is that this is Stock Outboard racing in the 1950's on the shores of Lake Erie. This was the last time that Jack Deck ran his Switzercraft Baby Bullet (100) with his stock Mercury KG7H until...

Forward 50 years later. The scene is Fort Custer Park, Augusta Michigan, and the same driver, boat and motor is wheeling his Tee Nee trailer into the water, and donning the borrowed Kevlar pants, jacket, suit, and helmet. Family members and new friends, assist the 76 year old driver into the boat, and with a squirt of starting fluid, the 1952 kg7 starts and just like that, he is off on the marathon course.

20 minutes later, the kg7 still running, and the driver smiling from ear to ear, reliving the past days of simpler times, comes into the pits, with a collection of friends and family waiting and cheering at the accomplishment. Not only for the rookie driver, but the equipment able to finish. Forget winning, just finishing.

“Wow, haven't done that in years! The only thing that is different is that when I raced, we wore flip flops, a t-shirt, and this handmade fiberglass helmet. This modern stuff is hot! What a rush! Haven't felt like this in years!”

The same scene was repeated in different varieties at Grass Lake, Michigan, Trenton Michigan, and finally the season finale at Indian River with Top O'. By Top O, Jack had recruited 2 sons and 2 grandsons to run his pit crew. 1 son, races currently in 20SSH, and the other is searching for a boat. 1 grandson is begging his father and grandfather for a ride in the baby bullet, while the other has taken his first ride in a J Hydro at MHRA's Never Ever Racer program at Big Rapids and is looking forward to his rookie season next year.

So how did a driver come out of retirement after 50 years? He attended a MHRA racer school with his son in the fall of 2010, and asked if his class was still sanctioned.

Without this one racer school, Jack Deck would not be reliving his glory days, Mike Deck would not have run 20SSH this year, Dave Deck would not be running C or 20SSH in 2012, and Alex Deck would not be running J Hydro in 2012. One 4 hour afternoon, not only brought 3 new racers to the sport and 1 out of retirement, it also brought a family together for the summer weekends across Region 6.

Bottom line, you are never too young to enjoy this sport as a participant or supporter. One person's interest can spark a pyramid of others if you are passionate. Next year, there will be 3 generations of drivers on the circuit, 2 still being rookies with over 60 years age difference.
    Attached Files
    When it comes to boat racing and the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission, and of course I spent a number of nights sleeping on the couch!

Memories

That brought back memories of racing on Lake Erie. Sailboats on Sat. (vary little wind), inboards and outboards on Sun. (wind and waves). Hard hats, tee shirts, levis, knee pads (that seemed to not want to stay on your knees),
    and any kind of shoe. Then came better head gear (polo corkers). I lived in Lorain, OH at the time.
    Bill Thomas
    Attached Files

Comment

Lake Erie Races

Hey Guys,
      I think someone has finally inspired me to get off my butt and post some Lake Erie racing pictures. My first ride in a D Stock Hydro was at the Cleveland lakefront in my Dad's Swift hydro with his brand new 55H. I was only four years old at the time, but I vividly remember being lowered into the hands of my Dad by my uncle Lamont Munson. My Dad (Bob Wagner) was breaking in his new motor and the only good water was along the breakwall.
      Bill, if you ever raced at Gordon Shore Boat Club in Cleveland, chances are, I have 8mm movies of you. I haven't watched the movies in years, but I seem to remember your boat in some of the movies. My Dad's racing buddies were, Tony Lamontia, Leo Wojick, Frank Gienger, Maury Beckman, Morely Winter, Clyde Wiseman, Tommy Cavell, and of course Lamont Munson. Wasn't the T on your boat because you raced outlaw with Tri-State. You've got to remember some of these guys: Dick or Al Kromer, Stu Yates, Vance Roth, Gordon Jayne, Danny Thornburg, Charlie Novince, Phil Storm,
      The only pictures I'm able to post at this time are two of my uncle Lamont. I have to scan and edit the other other pictures I have. Somewhere there is a picture of my brother, sister and I sitting in the 13 foot Lyman my dad raced in the C utility class. He ran an evinrude sport four and then a Mercury Mark 40 on that 13 foot Lyman. One year I remember he screwed number boards on the side with the number 1/2 S. (Half S)

Rick Wagner Sr.
      Attached Files

Comment

Pictures taken on the same day?

It kind of looks like the pictures of my uncle Lamont and Bill Thomas were taken on the same day.

Comment

Gordo shore Boat Club & etc

Date would be between 1956 and 1959. The number was T for Thomas. This was before I raced in TROA. I remember Dick Kromer, he had a Sid Craft BU and I believe at the time was dating one of Clyde's twin daughters. At one of the GSBC's races my Van Pelt went across the finish line without me (I was dumped out at the last bouy) idled on to the end of the GSBC boat dock, somebody jumped in and shut the motor off. Also raced at Lakeside Yacht Club. Beavercreek Boat Club, Edgewater Yacht Club, Lorain and some races we did as the Lorain Outboard Racing Club. I finally learned to stay in the Van Pelt and did much better. First TROA race was at West Bridgewater, PA. I came in next to last (always bring someone along you can beat so you don't come in last) I was there when TROA joined APBA.
          Bill
          Attached Files

Comment

Gordon Shore Boat Club, Cleveland, Ohio.

This is where I was inspired to race. The Boat Club is still in existence to this day. I understand that there is a starting clock in the attic of the clubhouse. The building with the windows shown in these pictures used to be an unloading dock for car carrier boats from Detroit. Today it's a luxury condominium complex.
            My Dad talked of racing out to the intake crib and back, also down the east lake front to White City Beach. (Northeast Yacht Club). He even talked of racing inside the yacht club breakwall at Edgewater Yacht club. He would run his D hydro in the free for all events. Talk about a rough ride. Anything that was there would be in the free for all. (Lymans as well) Sadly, I just listed the 25 ft. Lyman sleeper my Dad and I owned since 1975 on Craigslist.
            Well here some of the pictures I have. Jack will definitely see Lymans in some of these shots. Jack, you're an iron man in my book. Welcome Back. I hope to see all of you guys next summer.

Rick Sr.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ed Verbeck jumped into your boat

Originally posted by SeaBat View Post
              Date would be between 1956 and 1959. The number was T for Thomas. This was before I raced in TROA. I remember Dick Kromer, he had a Sid Craft BU and I believe at the time was dating one of Clyde's twin daughters. At one of the GSBC's races my Van Pelt went across the finish line without me (I was dumped out at the last bouy) idled on to the end of the GSBC boat dock, somebody jumped in and shut the motor off. Also raced at Lakeside Yacht Club. Beavercreek Boat Club, Edgewater Yacht Club, Lorain and some races we did as the Lorain Outboard Racing Club. I finally learned to stay in the Van Pelt and did much better. First TROA race was at West Bridgewater, PA. I came in next to last (always bring someone along you can beat so you don't come in last) I was there when TROA joined APBA.
              Bill
              Somewhere, I have the newspaper article of Ed Verbeck jumping into your boat. I went to school with Ed's son Rich. The reporter said Ed went for a wild ride. My Dad said it was grossly exaggerated. A GSBC regatta was my Dad's last race. He collided his D hydro with a fiberglass utility and went into the water really hard. He trashed the boat. Later he sold his motor to Rico Rossini from Italy.
              I raced with Al Kromer in the early 70's. He lives in Port Clinton. His brother Dick the last I heard, was living in Connecticut. Did you ever know of Jerry Bobel from Lorain. He raced TRORA in the early 70's.
              Attached Files

Comment

Mike,
                Nice story! Glad you and your dad raced with us this year and hopefully your son wiill be next season. You and your family are an asset to our club and we hope that you'll be with us for some time. Talk to you later.
                Mark

Comment

Mike,

Nice story. I look forward to seeing you and your family next year.

Rick,

Are you the handsome young man wearing the Combat Helmut?

Sincerely,

Doug Follett
                  87-P

Comment

Jerry Bobel

Don't recall Jerry. There was a Bobel Family in our church. I believe that they owned Lorain Stationary or something like that. We moved to Lake Havasu City in 1973, then California, now in Beaverton, OR. Hope to see you at the SO Nationals at Grass Lake. My Oldest daughter, Sherri Hathaway 36R races AXR and ASR here in Region 10. I'm the pit monkey. I' slowing down some, I'll be 79 next month. Still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!
                    Bill

Comment

Awesome..Love all the old pictures. My dad used to run a 30H Merc...wish I had some stills to post..
                      Roger A 68M
                      Team Casual

Comment

Post Script

I just saw Mike's article today. I wondered why he wanted that old newspaper picture. I ran the GSBC 50 Mile Marathon in 1953 in 100. Came in 5th, protested an outlaw KG7 (enlarged exhaust ports) and finally finished 4th. It was my first and last APBA race until this year. I raced with the old Tri-State Racing Association running out of Conneaut. Jimmy Burnham and I hung together a bit. He went on to win some C-Stock Runabout Marathon Championships. Good Times!

New Subject:
                        Can anyone get a hold of Chris Hagerl? I have sent emails to his web site but no response. He has Ron Oswalt listed as finishing the Saturday run at TOPO. Ron had some issues and could not get on plane. I did run and finished albeit on one cylinder. I believe the time listed for Ron is my time unless I was DQ'd for some reason. No body told me that I was and my pit crew never heard John say I was. Just want the record set straight, right now it appears I was never there. Thanks, Jack Deck (100S)

Comment

Switzer D Marathon Racer

http://www.acbs-bslol.com/Outboard/Switzercraft.htm

Boat and owner(77) still looking good!

Comment

Thanks for the pictures of the old GSBC days. My one and only APBA race in 1953 was the 50 mile marathon at GSBC. I came in 4th in the BU. That was a great article on the Switzers.
                            Now if I can only keep the KG7 running.

Jack Deck 100S

Comment

Whiteman's Grove Ohio

Is anyone on here remembers racing in the 1950s at Whitemans Grove on the Sandusky River in Ohio. I have lots of memories as a kid watching my father drive a Bstock Utility. Somewhere have old stills. Many different motors and boats. Remember drivers carrying boats on cars in trailers all kinds of ways. Not much has changed over the years except I now race and my father is gone. Still just as much fun even being able to race Pro Antiques. Thanks for reminding me of old memories not thought of in a while. I always carry an old photo of dad coming in after a race.
                              David Everhart S52
                              David Everhart S52
                              Avatar credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Working...
                              X