Top O Michigan Marathon Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top O Michigan Marathon Update

85 entries. Approximately 50% finish. 3 A's finish out of 18 entries. Reports of 3 to 5 foot high waves on Mullet Lake

Saturday Winners
    A-Terry Kerr
    B-Chris Hagerl
    C-Kurt Kovtun
    D-Josh Pearson
    Last edited by 42M; 08-13-2011, 04:11 PM.
    Retired racer turned bartender

Thanks

Thanks for the report.

Do you know who won "J" on Saturday and how many "Classics" raced?
    Tom L.

Comment

J winner.

JR Broge won 'J'. I got that from Nick Foster, who snagged a second place.
      I believe that there were six classics, not sure, but we had three at KampKurz and I thought I spotted three more.
      It was an absolute ocean on Mullet. Attrition was as high as I've seen. Perennial front runners in 'C' had a bad day with mechanicals. Tim Ross and Kim Parke broke throttle cables, and many stuffed and could not recover.
      When I got out into Mullet and was not anywhere near Topinabee yet, I can remeber thinking, "We are gonna be on this lake all day".
      A nice story, I think is of the three 'A' finishers, one was Tom Fairbairns' daughter, wearing her rookie stripes, finishing second. Ann Blomberg third. Terry Kerr took first in a boat that spent three days in my garage for repairs. He hopes for one more day.
      Fourteen boats went in from KampKurz, which was a blast. Missed Adam though. Next year.
      Me, ready for another day. Broken blood vessels in my eye from stuffs in the face. No pain, and a scary look that I am sure will demoralize the competition.

Comment

Sunday Results.

Lynne Blomberg wins A
        Chris Hagerl wins B

That's all the info that's been relayed to me. Had to drive back down to Detroit last night for work
        Last edited by 42M; 08-14-2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Overall Winners:

J - JR Broge
          A - Terry Kerr & Lynne Blomberg (Tie)
          B - Chris Hagerl
          C - Kurt Kovtun

Comment

Other winners!

25SS Fred Hollerback
            DSR Josh Pearson
            Forgive me for I do not know the SLT winners.
            Once again attrition showed it's face. What a great weekend spent with a great bunch of people. We had some swimmers and a good time was had by all. Look forward to 2012! From KampKurz to all.

Comment

Confirm the end of the race positions of the different category. (ASR) (CSR) ( Silvio Mosquera , Carlos Mosquera y Jose Adell.
              http://www.facebook.com/ecuadorboatracing

Comment

Public Information of the race positions at www.facebook.com/ecuadorboatracing
                Last edited by nelson yela; 08-14-2011, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Standings, Photos and videos of the marathon Top O 'Michigan 2011 will be published on our official website of Ecuadorhttp://www.ecuadorboatracing.com

Comment

Hey Mark Kruz, how did you do? I read that you were second on Sat but how about Sunday? Jack

Comment

KampKurz results.

Originally posted by Jack Stotts View Post
                      Hey Mark Kruz, how did you do? I read that you were second on Sat but how about Sunday? Jack
                      Jack, I broke a throttle cable going up Burt Lake. Was running with the front four or five boats in what I heard was the roughest water of the day. The high attrition rate resulted in a third place overall finish after a second on Saturday. I am a better marathon racer today as a result of competing in this year's slug-fest.
                      I know that if you were here, you would have asked me how old my throttle cable was. HaHa. Many racers and locals asked about you, and we look forward to your return. Mark

Comment

I wonder why so many broken throttle cables this year, 7 at last count. I replaced Charlie's cable before the race and it broke just into the Cheboygan river. When the boat quit it started to sink from a 6' long split where the chine meetd the bottom. It would not have made it back thru Mullet Lake. I wonder if a braided cable would hold up better. What type is everyone using?

Comment

Throttle cable thoughts

I only run the braided cable on my C and D mod stuff and have never broken one. With those engines I run the brass throttle block though. A regular throttle cable block with a screw like an OMC A or Yamato would be hard on the braided part when rigged several times. A trick to keep the end from fraying is to weld up the end so there are no loose ends. It will shrink up about 1/2" or so, so plan accordingly.

Another thing that can lead to broken cables is having the throttle pull solid to a hard stop. This extra tension combined with vibration will break one far quicker. Always leave just a touch of play in the system with the throttle wide open.

When I heard about all the throttle cable troubles, I was wishing I had braided stuff in my 25 rig, but wound up OK. I think now I will look at figuring a way to use it in this rig as well.

Just a couple of hints.

Steve

Comment

For my yamato's we found using the mercury solid cable works great. The nice thing about them is they have a brass threaded cap on the end that fits well into the throtle block on the carb.
                            MJR Composites racing...cleveland division

Comment

Just once, maybe.

I thought everyone who went around Saturday's must-make buoy at Mullett Lake would like a look at that water tonight. I took this from the dock of the Breakers while on a bike ride to Cheboygan. Look a little different? Even the A's would have enjoyed this.
                              Hat's off to all that went through some of the roughest water in recent years. KampKurz
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X