What is it called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it called?

My support for my C Mod pipe broke and two people asked if I had tried this thick black plastic that would hold up to the vibrations and heat and it had a name but I can't remember what they called it. Can anyone help with the name?? They said you can cut it with a jig saw.

My wood support ring just could not hold up to the ocean racing course we had this weekend
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Mike,

There are many plastics that can do the job. Delrin and Nylon are 2 of the better engineering grade materials that will hold up to the vibration. Delrin is a little easier to machine and can be cut easily with a jig saw. Nylon is a little gummier to machine, but still doable with hand tools. There is a guy on ebay that has odds and ends for sale at reasonable prices. he goes by surplusdealdude.

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Great-Ind...id=p4340.l2563

Hope this helps,

Dan

Comment

King Starboard brand

Starboard is a Polymer material . works just like wood. Most Marine suppliers can get i in small or full sheets in black or white.

Comment

Pipe Ring Material

Mike,

I would use either UHMW or Acetal. UHMW is cheaper than Acetal (more commonly known as Delrin) Acetal is a little harder and holds threads better. Try www.onlinemetals.com for a piece pre cut and shipped to your door.
        Lee Tietze
        Machined Components
        Aluminum, Try Racing Without It!

Comment

I agree with Lee!

Originally posted by machinedcomp View Post
          Mike,

I would use either UHMW or Acetal. UHMW is cheaper than Acetal (more commonly known as Delrin) Acetal is a little harder and holds threads better. Try www.onlinemetals.com for a piece pre cut and shipped to your door.
          125's teach what will work and what won't. Acetal is harder as Lee said but will also crack with vibrations, I found that UHMW is best for this and mine has lasted 10 plus years with a rattle trap like a 125. Steve

Comment

Thanks everyone, I will give it a try. Last weekend I am sure being on my tail a lot took its toll. Up till then the wood worked but I don't want to have to carry a dozen of them as spares.

Comment

Isn't UHMW the stuff they make cutting boards out of? Us small boat builders (sail) use the crap out of cutting boards available at any Wal Mart for a variety of purposes.

And if you want to try Starboard I have a 8 3/4" X 30" piece of 1/2" Starboard. Let me know and it's in the mail - be nice if I could cut it in half (15" pieces). Me pay postage, you send me a few Hydroracer.net stickers!
              carpetbagger

Comment

I use uhmw for a spacer plate between my 44 merc and the down housing, works really well. have had it between it now for 4 years , no problems with it and lots cheeper than alum,
                Jeff

Comment

Bill what is starboard? I tried Googling it and got no where except some kind of surfboards I did already order some UHMW

Comment

Working...
                  X