Best GPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best GPS?

Looking for a GPS to record speed/lap times... what are the recommendations for best GPS - especially with regard to price?
    I looking for personal experiences with accuracy, reliability, and pricing.

Thanks!

Shane Burkhart

Ditto!!!

Comment

Yep, I could use one too !

John B.

Comment

The standard (at least in region 10) is the garmin e-trex gps. It gives speed, and saves a top speed reading. It does not do lap times. The best recommendation I have for that is a friend and a stopwatch.

Comment

Eagle Tree Systems

Check this out......these are made for R/C planes and boats but have been
          thinking that they may be ideal for the knee-jockey stuff.

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/

Comment

This is the GPS that I use, I like it because it straps to your wrist. You can also set it up to give you max speed as well as real time speed. I used mine in Iraq, so I know it can take a beating and I’ve never had any issues with mine.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=30025&ra=true

look on Ebay or other sites....you can usually get it cheaper

Comment

Jon;

Looks good, I will look at yours at Everett !

Would be good for those of us that forget where the pits at Lawrence are too !

John B.

Comment

Gps

I found a very nice Garmin GPS similar to what Mike Perman described at Pawn X Change for 40 bucks...it works fine and it goes all day on 2 aa batteries. Of course it is not hot......

Comment

The best, Velocitek. Big numbers, lots of functions. Tracks your path on google earth. It also has a lot of sail boat stuff that you would never use. Prices from $339 to $500

Comment

the garmin etrex or w/e is what we picked up. Gives average speed (though you'd have to reset it while making a lap, never tried that before), top speed and current speed.

even has a little map showing you what your lap looks like, but I never really tried to zoom in on it or anything, not sure how acfurate that is.
                    Silas Jordan
                    Windham, Maine
                    CSR 53A (2B till the boat gets redone)
                    Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

Garmin Etrex

Shane, my vote goes to the Garmin Etrex also. I got mine at Dicks sporting goods for around $90.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Garmin Etrex - H

I bought the H yesterday @ Wal-Mart, in Jeff's provided picture. Did some testing w it yesterday. Very easy to use/reset, and priced right at $90.
                        I had a Etrex Legend, more functions, but do not recommend, way too many buttons to toggle through to reset, and burned thru AA batteris in 12 hours of use.
                        Stock Outboard Racing!....because other sports,....golf, football, baseball, etc....only require one Ball!

Comment

mychron4
                          28-R

Comment

Agreed, but...

Originally posted by HydroKyle93R View Post
                            mychron4
                            I agree that looks like a great option, but at $429 for the original tach, and another $459 for the expansion box that logs speeds you better bring your checkbook!

Comment

The basic mycron which is all you need is around 325.00 which measures rpm, heat temp and lap times if you buy the beacon which is around 100.00. I got mine off of ebay for around 250.00 used with the beacon and works like a charm. I download everything off of it into the pc which puts it into a graph so you can see where a prop is good and where it is lacking.
                              Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Working...
                              X