Boat numbers..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat numbers..........

Could i please get a quick reminder of the "legal" sizing of boat numbers for apba? Also being a pro racer all my life, and now racing stock, in stock racing the number proceeds the region letter correct? Thanks in advance for the assistance. Kevin martin

APBA numbers

Here are the 2011 rules on numbers. They It come from this following manual from the APBA site:

http://www.apba-racing.com/Forms/2011/011SOMOPRO.pdf

You are correct in stock the letter is to the right of the number.

RULE 6 • RACING NUMBERS
    Each racing member owning a boat or boats shall annually request National Headquarters to assign him/her a racing number for each category
    raced. This number, or numbers, shall be valid for the current membership year. The racing member will use these numbers on all boats of all classes
    which he or she may enter in given category’s races. The racing number shall consist of a letter designating the geographic section of the country
    where the owner resides and an assigned number. The assigned number shall range from 1 to 999. The official racing number must be displayed on
    both sides of the boat in accordance with the following procedures:

1. Hydroplanes shall be affixed with vertical numbers on both sides of the boat. Numbers must be a minimum of six (6) inches in height and one
    (1) inch stroke where space permits and shall be black on white or white on black. The background must be solid. There shall be at least one (1) inch
    background border around each number and letter, where space permits. There shall be a minimum of one (1) inch spacing between each number
    and letter, where space permits.

2. In addition to vertical numbers and letters, it is recommended that hydroplanes have deck numbers and letters. These deck numbers should be
    placed on a solid background that contrasts strongly with the color used for the deck numbers.

3. PRO runabouts shall be affixed with numbers of a color that strongly contrasts with the background. The figures and letters shall be not LESS
    than 10 inches in height and the stroke not LESS than 1-1/2 inches wide, if space permits. These numbers must be affixed to both sides of the boat.

4. Runabouts used in MO and SO classes must be affixed with numbers that are black on a solid white background or white on a solid black
    background. The figures and letters must be at least 6 inches in height and the stroke must be at least 1 inch wide, where space permits. There must
    be at least 1 inch of background around the number, where space permits. There must be a minimum of one (1) inch spacing between each figure
    and letter, where space permits. Numbers must be affixed to both sides of the boat.

5. It shall be the driver’s responsibility to make the numbers legible. The numbers must be so displayed as to be clearly visible at all times, and
    shall be securely attached in such a manner that they will not be lost or defaced during a race. The race committee shall have the power to warn, or
    disqualify without previous notice, any driver who races with improper or illegible numbers.

6. A temporary number, such as an “X” or “I”, may be used. However, only one (1) regatta will be allowed without a regular number properly
    displayed on the hull.

7. In the event one owner enters two boats, both of which carry his/her assigned racing number in the same race, it shall be the owner’s
    responsibility to affix a temporary identifying mark to his/her second entry to assist the scorers in identifying the drivers. The identifying mark shall
    be in the form of the letter “I” following the official racing number. If the owner enters three boats in the same race, the third entry shall have two
    such identifying marks following the official racing number, and so forth. Such temporary marks are for the use of the local headquarters or race
    committee and have no official standing at National Headquarters.

8. With the exception of the temporary numbers mentioned above, and CBF members using a CBF number, no one will be allowed to compete in a
    regatta without a letter designation and number displayed on the hull.

9. The following letters indicate the residence of Stock, Mod and PRO boat owners.
    Stock and Mod Classes: The letter is to be on the right of the number.
    PRO: The letter is on the left of the number.

A. Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont
    B. Massachusetts
    C. California, Nevada, Arizona, Hawaii
    CE. Eastern Canada: Ontario, Quebec and Maritime Provinces
    CP. Central Canada: Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba
    CW. Western Canada: British Columbia
    D. Connecticut, Rhode Island
    E. Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, District of Columbia
    F. Florida, Georgia, Alabama
    G. Minnesota, South Dakota
    H. Indiana
    J. New Jersey
    K. Kentucky, Tennessee
    L. Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas
    M. Michigan
    N. New York
    P. Pennsylvania
    Q. Delaware
    R. Oregon, Washington, Idaho
    S. Ohio
    T. Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico
    U. North Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Utah
    V. Illinois
    W. Wisconsin
    X. Iowa, Nebraska
    Y. Kansas, Missouri
    Z. North Carolina, South Carolina
    Boat numbers with the letter “O” are no longer assigned.
    RULE 7 • BOAT NAMES AND ADVERTISING
    The APBA reserves the right to review boat names and advertising displayed on member’s boats, and the Executive Director ma
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Exactly what i was looking for....

Thank you!!! Amazing how many "stock" boats are running around out there with the letters before the numbers. Technically could someone be disqualified for the wrong #'s? I wouldnt think so but curious?? Kevin

Comment

Numbers

I have also seen that but I guess that some us the same boat for pro and stock and since the number of boats at a meet is simetimes low they let it pass to have enough boats for a race?
        "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
        No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Originally posted by ZUL8TR View Post
          Stock and Mod Classes: The letter is to be on the right of the number.
          PRO: The letter is on the left of the number.

A. Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont
          B. Massachusetts
          C. California, Nevada, Arizona, Hawaii
          CE. Eastern Canada: Ontario, Quebec and Maritime Provinces
          CP. Central Canada: Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba
          CW. Western Canada: British Columbia
          D. Connecticut, Rhode Island
          E. Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, District of Columbia
          F. Florida, Georgia, Alabama
          G. Minnesota, South Dakota
          H. Indiana
          J. New Jersey
          K. Kentucky, Tennessee
          L. Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas
          M. Michigan
          N. New York
          P. Pennsylvania
          Q. Delaware
          R. Oregon, Washington, Idaho
          S. Ohio
          T. Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico
          U. North Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Utah
          V. Illinois
          W. Wisconsin
          X. Iowa, Nebraska
          Y. Kansas, Missouri
          Z. North Carolina, South Carolina
          Boat numbers with the letter “O” are no longer assigned.
          Great conversation guys. I do have to admit this has been a topic that has bugged me for years. It amazes me how many people screw this up.

Originally posted by Kevin Martin View Post
          Thank you!!! Amazing how many "stock" boats are running around out there with the letters before the numbers. Technically could someone be disqualified for the wrong #'s? I wouldnt think so but curious?? Kevin
          Nothing worse than watching someone run a 50mph STOCK boat with your APBA PRO number on it.

If people are going to make up numbers, they should at least put the letter on the "correct" side that pertains to the category they race. On second thought, the inspectors are just as guilty as they don't enforce the rule book. So, I guess they don't even know right from wrong, or is that right from left?

Originally posted by ZUL8TR View Post
          I have also seen that but I guess that some us the same boat for pro and stock and since the number of boats at a meet is simetimes low they let it pass to have enough boats for a race?
          It's going to happen to the C-stock/OSY people every once in a while. But everyone should make an honest effort to run correct numbers and in the correct format. They put it in the rulebook for a reason.

And yes, you could be disqualified as it is a rule, and rules are rules. Unless of course the rules are not enforced (which we all know does happen all too often). I'd bet at your local region race it'd be alright, but at the nationals I wouldn't chance it. All you need is to beat the wrong person, have someone complain about it, or get disqualified in inspection after the heat. It'd suck to loose a Championship because someone had their numbers "sdrawkcab".
          Sattler Racing R-15
          350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
          TEAM VRP
          The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

In pro the letter is before the number and stk/mod the letter is after the number.
            Now if you have a CSH run OSY Nobody but nobody will make you change location of the letter unless they are a dumb%$&. also numbers on hydro decks and recommended only. Most cannot be read from judges stand anyway.
            MY son ran C21 for years in CSH. Had a pro/stock/m cross over membership.
            The real problem with numbers is white on black or black on white. Size and readability.
            Then there are the ones who never get around to putting a number on the boat and use X all year
            This has been discussed for years and some still just do not get it or refuse to. They will get one warning to fix their number.
            so what I do as a referee if inform the race Committee if they cannot read the number do not score them. Also the trouble makers get drafted to work the judges(barge) stand and call out numbers to the scorers.
            Last edited by bill boyes; 05-13-2011, 04:46 PM.
            bill b

Comment

Readability

Bill makes some great points. The most important thing to remember is that scorers see dozens of boats, most unfamiliar, in a day. Boats with different colors, cockpit sides and deck angles all doing different speeds, and some hiding in rooster tails. If the scorers cannot read a number they can't write it down. This is your moniker people, I personally want everyone to know who that is, especially competitors and spectators. Make it clear to the world just who you are.
              I also love what Kay and Bill do with people who have minimum standard #'s or hard to read ones. They all spend time calling #'s for the scorers for a flight. It's easy to see your own #'s, you see your boat everyday (sometimes even in your sleep), but try finding, reading and transcribing an unfamiliar # that is going by at 60-90 mph. Now imagine that boat being in a pack of twelve boats.
              Give the scorers a break and make em big.
              Dan Wilde
              58-C

"Don't let a win go to your head, or a loss to your heart." Chuck D

Comment

Make them BIG and plain ... fancy script takes more brain cells to decode and we are talking about working at the physical limits of the eye and brain.

If you don't believe me ... do it yourself

Comment

What do you do if you live in Alaska

Comment

Alaska

Originally posted by Gator 44F View Post
                    What do you do if you live in Alaska
                    Try Bristol's number?? Drill baby drill? I give up.

Comment

Good answer maybe Sarah's mothers Number

Comment

Working...
                      X