Races galore!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Races galore!

Okay, as a casual observer I note three SO/MOD races that are kind of close to each other: Delaware, OH - Millville, NJ - Tabor City, NC. All on the same weekend. Ouch. Normally racers from those three general areas would support each others race, but now they will be split among three.

Sometime early next week could the bean counters from those races issue a quick report? My questions are: Were their enough entries to keep the race finances from going in the red? And were their enough entries to make the racers happy with the competition?

If so then our sport may be a tad gimpy, but it ain't dead yet.
    carpetbagger

Inboarders have a race in Greenwood NJ, too. Depleting some of the potential J's at Tabor City.

Comment

Yeah i dont get that either ... Power in numbers... too many regions in the apba..

Comment

Here is the reality of that......Fuel cost to travel!
        Local is the only way to survive......MOD will suffer the most.

I'm in the middle of all this weekends races and can't git to any!

At $4.10 gal fer diesel at 17MPG a 400 mile,one way run is ........uhhh lets see, 800miles divide'd by 17mpg x $4.10 = ?
        $192.94........huh?....not that bad.......hey, I'm out'a here.....GREEEEN FLAAAAAAAAG!

My Buick gits 20MPG tow'n test trailer with 1 rig......800miles divided by 20mpg x $3.86=$154.40

Now which direction?.............yeh, it is complicated.

So is .....life?........LOL!
        Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 05-14-2011, 03:45 AM.
        100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Mod... the way

Originally posted by STEVE FRENCH View Post
          ......MOD will suffer the most.:
          I strongly disagree Steve... now pass me ahnuthr one uv your beers willya... thank you! What I'm getting at is this: As we in APBA have ourselves choked up with rules, "Mod" offers a way to go racing. In what other category can you cobble-up some POS drop it on a tower and go have some fun?

NBRA might just be the light at the other end of the tunnel - fewer rules, restrictions, etc. True, they don't have the spectacular awards/recognition program or historical significance that APBA owns. But, the few new people I see getting into boat racing aren't doing it because of all that baloney... uh uh.. that stuff isn't the attraction. It's the challenge of putting something together and going out there to duel with the other dogs... and hopefully beat the snot out of them with your homely rig... that's one of the drivers!!

Kids? Sure. Put em in a J boat. Spoon feed em for a while. But, it's got to have an attraction for them to stick with it. ATTRACTION!!

Thongs do it for me.... pass me another beer will ya

SATISFACTION... that's the other big player.

See yer at Wells Bub.

Comment

You are right comrade. The number in APBA that take the former attitude is declining, but they are still in control as the old guard.

Comment

Somewhat Agree

Originally posted by ram95 View Post
              I strongly disagree Steve... now pass me ahnuthr one uv your beers willya... thank you! What I'm getting at is this: As we in APBA have ourselves choked up with rules, "Mod" offers a way to go racing. In what other category can you cobble-up some POS drop it on a tower and go have some fun?

NBRA might just be the light at the other end of the tunnel - fewer rules, restrictions, etc. True, they don't have the spectacular awards/recognition program or historical significance that APBA owns. But, the few new people I see getting into boat racing aren't doing it because of all that baloney... uh uh.. that stuff isn't the attraction. It's the challenge of putting something together and going out there to duel with the other dogs... and hopefully beat the snot out of them with your homely rig... that's one of the drivers!!

Kids? Sure. Put em in a J boat. Spoon feed em for a while. But, it's got to have an attraction for them to stick with it. ATTRACTION!!

Thongs do it for me.... pass me another beer will ya

SATISFACTION... that's the other big player.

See yer at Wells Bub.
              Comrade, in my experience the NBRA actually has just as strong a recognition program in place. They have a year end banquet for ALL drivers and crew and family, friends etc. They award the high point champions in each class with a good amount of cash and prizes. In fact a couple years the over all high point champions put names in the hat and they drew from it and someone won a BRAND new enclosed trailer, other year it was an open trailer. This is among the cash prizes, and other goodies from Lifeline, Bass Tahotsu, to name a couple bigger names.

And at the Nationals I recall Award presentations that night at locations with free beer and good food. If that was not available they called all drivers and crews to a podium like area and awarded it in front of the spectators. THey were always trophies too. Nice decent trophies among the other prizes.

While not steeped in the traditions as you say, they are now in a setting precedent mode. Trust me, it is the same kind of folks as APBA has, a lot of old timer APBA guys racing in it. One thing is important to note, it is not a pissing contest with APBA. They simply choose to move forward in the way they feel is right for the sport, and try to not get drug down in the past.
              Dave Mason
              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
              X