Roof Rack for a Suburban-Need ideas/designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Rack for a Suburban-Need ideas/designs

Looking to build a roof rack for my suburban to hold an A stock hydroplane. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Photos would be useful.
    Thanks
    Doug Martin

are you coming back to stock outboard

Comment

This is what I use with the factory racks. They work great I have a wing I take on and off. To mount the boat I would just set your racks as far apart as you can and then mount 2 boards to these (making a raised boat bunk)and tie the boat down to the racks. If you want to go crazy you can order more racks for your truck and more places to tie down. Extra racks are around 175 and you would need 2 sets of mounts at $40 each.

I would recomend $40 mounts, 2 2x4's $8 and some carpet and be done. I would bet under $65 bucks.

Tip: If you go to any home improvement store and ask them to cut the carpet in 10in long strips then you do not have to cut the carpet. this is free and safe. They mess the cut up it is on them not you.

http://www.yakima.com/shop/factorycr...l-mightymounts

Comment

Tie down!!

Be sure to tie down front and rear of boat to front and rear of vehicle.
        If not, at 60+mph, and heading into strong wind, passing oncoming transport, will tear it off your roof. Use a cam/ratchet straps.
        Front: run strap from the bow eye, forward over the hood/bumper, attach to frame.
        Rear: from transom eyebolts/lift handles attach to trailer hitch, or frame.
        Its really these straps that will keep your boat from taking off like a kite. The roof rack just keeps it off roof, and the bunks from going side to side.
        Stock Outboard Racing!....because other sports,....golf, football, baseball, etc....only require one Ball!

Comment

roof rack

On a 2004 trail blazer, I removed the mounting rails for the cross bars. bought longer bolts and bolted a 2x4 rack directly to the roof rack mounts. I will get pics and post them for you.
          Gene Schertz 26V
          TEAM CAFFEINE
          Cranked up and ready to Roll
          Reeds for Speed!

Comment

Originally posted by david bryan View Post
            are you coming back to stock outboard
            Dave: This is a different Doug Martin than the one you're thinking of.

R-19
            www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

I built a rack that the frame fits on the inside of the roof rack and strapped it down around the cross members. Place the long pieces to the width of the boat and 1/4 in. bolts through cross members. You still have to tie the boat to the car (front and back), but my carrier has been on since I went to Texas last year and hasn't budged. I built it in a rest area before I picked up the boat and equipment so it isn't that hard or time consuming. Works like a champ. Send me an email address and I will send you some pics if I can.

Comment

Rack

I use a Yakima rack system with the brackets used to secure electrical conduit to the wall to attach the 2x4s to the round tubing. Lately I have been watching Craigslist for ladder racks to use on my van. On the tie downs I tie it to the rack in the rear, on the front also tie it to the car. I have attached a section of strap to my firewall/wiper motor that I can just tuck under the hood when not in use. lastly I attach a strap from the rack to the turn fin bracket so the boat won't slide forward.
                Not to offend the previous poster but I an not a big fan of the ratchet straps as I feel flex the the metal parts can damage boats if strapped to tight.
                Attached Files

Comment

Not wratchet straps. I use blue tie down straps that are just like using rope. I try to bring a box of them for the guys and gals that need them at DePue every year. They are used to tie down very heavy fitness equipment to their pallets being shipped from Italy. They only tighten as much as you can pull them. And they don't rot in the sun. These are only used to tie the roof rack to the carrier already on the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by sponsonhead View Post
                    Dave: This is a different Doug Martin than the one you're thinking of.

R-19
                    thanks. DAVE
                    Attached Files

Comment

Roof Rack

Originally posted by jaremad racing View Post
                      Looking to build a roof rack for my suburban to hold an A stock hydroplane. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Photos would be useful.
                      Thanks
                      Doug Martin
                      Doug,

You need to look at the rack on my Avalanche. Don't do anything until you do.

Dean......................
                      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Thule racks

Thule racks makes a removable rack that I mounted on my pick up cap. I mounted bunks to it and have carried a c hydro up there. When I'm not using it I take it of in less than two minutes and put it in garage. Less than $500 invested.
                        http://www.cooltruck.com/index.php?m...st=Truck-Racks
                        http://www.cooltruck.com/uploads/ima...s/other24a.jpg
                        Last edited by Shep; 05-12-2011, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks to everyone

Thanks to all of those who replied. Looks like Thule is the way to go. I will be going to get the parts this weekend.

Thanks again.

Doug Martin

Comment

Working...
                          X