Burlington, WI - RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burlington, WI - RIP

Say what you want about the mud, Burlington had the most raceable water I've ever been on regardless of the wind. Great pits, fantastic viewing area for the run from the start to the first turn with tons of spectators, and a sponsor that was with us for 32 years. We had a few years there when it was known as Burrrrrlington, but the weather for the last few years was fantastic. Can't believe it is over.

This was the site for my first race, Mike's first race, and Beth's as well, amoung many others I am sure. My first weekend of racing started off with me loosing my steering bar mounted gas tank one day and then blowing the top spark plug out of the block on my Mark 15 the next day. The spark plug stayed in the boot and was sparking as it lay on top of the replaced gas tank. Nice.

Here is a pic from the early 80's. Sam La Banco in 1V battling it out with Dangerous Del Snyder in the 31W in BSH.
    Attached Files
    Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

+1 for my first race as well!

Comment

Still can't believe we won't be there Memorial Weekend I still remember my first race there. It was by far my favorite race too and I loved that I was able to bring my kids to the race I was at when I was their age. Memorial weekend just won't be the same.....

Comment

And I must be old because I started racing without kevlar

Comment

I agree

Your right Pav-- You won't find them kind of growds at any other race.
          Hotel a couple blocks away with supper next door or ACROSS THE STREET.
          Great sponsors with stuff for kids to do. To bad it had to come to this.
          We will miss Burlington.

Comment

My first race was there last year!
            My anger management class pisses me off!!

Comment

I remember the very first one. Pete Mursberger was the force behind it and got it started.

I am thinking 1977?

Tim
              Tim Weber

Comment

I'm sure I would know if I was paying attention but...

What happened to the race? Don't want to dig up bad memories or hurt feelings, just wondering. I feel bad for you guys, it would be equivilant to us losing Newberg, what an awful thought.
                Moby Grape Racing
                "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

Comment

It's just getting to shallow to race on. I do wish I had my camera when Chris took a dive on the back stretch and came up with a face full of mud.
                  Gene Schertz 26V
                  TEAM CAFFEINE
                  Cranked up and ready to Roll
                  Reeds for Speed!

Comment

Who is going to start the fund raiser to pay for the dredging?

Was not my first race since Wisconsin had 0 J racers when I started, but I will never forget seeing Brian Rose's CSH stuck in the mud straight up in down on the straightaway. I'm also going to miss the train rolling by for 10 minutes eliminating any possible way of hearing the PA system. Cool place that will be missed.

Comment

I really like the pic of my dad bill,
                      -The New 31-W Michelle

Comment

When I lived in Florida I always came up to Burlington. I remember the first years when we would have a ball game at night. I have a pic of Fred Miller wearing shorts. For the sake of HR I'm not going to post it either.

It was my favorite racecourse. RIP.

I also got shot by the cannon there too, Thanks Bear
                        Last edited by spud62w; 04-16-2011, 08:06 AM. Reason: added more

Comment

Race

I could be mistaken....but is this the site that ran the night races a few years back?

Comment

My first race also. Loved the coarse, camp grounds across the street, Hoffman pig roast and evan woke up to snow one year. Thank you Burlington for my 15 races their.
                            Jim Petersen 183w

Comment

It was great for me to see Bill Mike and Beth start racing there. It was always the first race of the season for us and we usually did well. That led to thinking This Was The Year. Then the rest of the season happened

Bill 25V

Comment

Working...
                              X