Mike - My Nationals observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike - My Nationals observations

Mike, if I might address the first paragraph of your original post its a known fact that folks are still hurting all across the country on all levels regardless of race creed religion or color. While many folks will not admit it here on HR or any other message board’s times have changed and they have changed drastically.

I am not preaching doom or gloom but I and simply pointing out that boat racing or any other sport that we loved will never be the same in today’s economic climate. Driving across the country from the east coast to west coast is simply not an option anymore for many teams let alone driving a simple few hours. Try to keep in mind that powerboat racing even on the professional level pays nothing to win so when the weekend is over or the winter nationals is done you still must provide for your family which will always come first. I don’t want to ramble on Mike but I’m sure you get my point I don’t think it’s fair to say that boat racing or any other sport is dying it’s just the simple fact that most families can no longer afford it and what you saw over the weekend might have been a real eye opening experience.
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Dan you are so right. Times are changing. I saw diesel prices that were $4.40 a gallon and they are still going up.Unemployment is at 14% here and folks are preparing to move where there is work. I just wanted folks to know that this could be a very disapointing season and be prepared to do what you can to keep the few folks that are left.
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

There is a rule in politics that says real change does not happen until there is a crisis.

The 40+ year slow decline in membership will be addressed when current leadership finally decides there is a crisis and does something or the majority of the membership base realises there is a crisis and votes in new leadership.

It is not doom and gloom, it is just a fact, and too many do not want to hear it.

Ignoring the facts will not make them go away.

You do not have to own a crystal ball to know this year will have record low turnouts and record low membership.

All you have to do is read the for sale ads. I have noted that many multigenerational lifetime members are putting up all their equipment, tools, trailers, safety gear, boats, motors and parts up for sale.

Warning: this is the core membership base and they are leaving.

I am sure they are saying it is just until they get their jobs back or until there are more races closer to their homes. But it is looking like that may be a while.

Stabilizing the decline in membership should be on every committees agenda at next years National Meeting. How many addressed it last year?

BW
      302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
        Dan you are so right. Times are changing. I saw diesel prices that were $4.40 a gallon and they are still going up.Unemployment is at 14% here and folks are preparing to move where there is work. I just wanted folks to know that this could be a very disapointing season and be prepared to do what you can to keep the few folks that are left.
        I hear you Mike :-) I was watching the NASCAR race from Bristol, Tenn a week or so ago and I notice tons of empty seats on the back stretch so... I guess it goes without saying its going to be a long road back for many folks. Good news is things are looking up but its going to take time :-)
        HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Interesting that you say things are looking up. And this is not a…. it’s all doom and gloom but a reality of what is really happening out there. And I’m not taking a shot at you Dan.

Our health insurance went up this year for the company I work for. It’s costing me an additional 60.00 every two weeks that it was not costing me last year...and we got no raise.

Donny’s job has a pay freeze for the next 2 or 3 years, plus he is going to have to pay about 6% more for his insurance…

Krysti’s job cut out their 401k and their vacation got cut in half.

Now I look at it and say, at least we all have jobs…. but the reality of it is we have less disposable income, so something will have to give. At this point I’m not sure what that will be but I could see us cutting back on racing and not supporting all the races we usually do this summer. What makes that even harder is having a kid that wants to travel to do summer wrestling. Just got back from the Cleveland area this past weekend, it cost me the same as it does for a boat race because we had to get a hotel and couldn’t tent it.
          "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Big Don View Post
            Interesting that you say things are looking up. And this is not a…. it’s all doom and gloom but a reality of what is really happening out there. And I’m not taking a shot at you Dan.

Our health insurance went up this year for the company I work for. It’s costing me an additional 60.00 every two weeks that it was not costing me last year...and we got no raise.

Donny’s job has a pay freeze for the next 2 or 3 years, plus he is going to have to pay about 6% more for his insurance…

Krysti’s job cut out their 401k and their vacation got cut in half.

Now I look at it and say, at least we all have jobs…. but the reality of it is we have less disposable income, so something will have to give. At this point I’m not sure what that will be but I could see us cutting back on racing and not supporting all the races we usually do this summer. What makes that even harder is having a kid that wants to travel to do summer wrestling. Just got back from the Cleveland area this past weekend, it cost me the same as it does for a boat race because we had to get a hotel and couldn’t tent it.
            Don,

I hear you loud and clear :-) we have been on a pay freeze for the last two years with no increases what so ever! I fully understand what you are saying.
            Last edited by HRTV; 04-05-2011, 12:47 PM.
            HTML Code:

Comment

We are going to discuss our racing schedule tonight and re-evaluate our plans for the summer. Distance and probability of blow offs will be big factors. We have already scratched Moses Lake. With fuel being over $5 by summer it is really going to hurt everyone that travels for fun.

Comment

I think what the original post was trying to say is that we need to TRY to make sure that everyone gets time on the water. It was not a criticism about the weather we all know that no one can control that. I think it was that when people drive a long way to support an event it would sure be nice if they had a chance to run. It is hard to promote a sport like ours locally in a remote area and tell people you can spend money to buy equipment to join a sport that you will really like, however you may have to travel hundreds of miles and possibly not get to put that equipment in the water.

We have heard from other racers that this has happened to them when they have traveled a lot of miles, they never get out on the water. This isn't helping to promote and grow our sport.

I guess the other point was that it would be nice if flight schedules on the final day of racing could somehow accomodate those that have the furthest to go to get home so they aren't driving all night to get home for work the next day. If there was anyway to run them first in the day so they could "get a move on" towards home that would be fantastic. Another day missed from work is just another added expense. I understand that it isn't always possible but would sure be nice if it could be taken into consideration, especially at events that have pre-registration because you know where your registrants are coming from.

That being said the old adage continues to hold true: You can please some of the people some of the time and all of the people none of the time.

As a side note, I didn't go, I was at home minding the ranch. I missed out on all the bad weather in Washington, but trust me weather wasn't good here either.

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                  We are going to discuss our racing schedule tonight and re-evaluate our plans for the summer. Distance and probability of blow offs will be big factors. We have already scratched Moses Lake. With fuel being over $5 by summer it is really going to hurt everyone that travels for fun.
                  Sorry to hear we may miss you at Moses Lake, Mike. Maybe between now and then (Sept) things will change $$$. It was nice meeting and talking with you at Eatonville and please realize we value your membership to region 10 and APBA. I'm not making excuses, but I feel bad that you only were able to get on the water one time last weekend. Since you lived many years in the Seattle area before moving to Montana, you know how unpredictable weather is at this time of year in our region (better than Montana I bet). We always tell out of region people it rains 24/7 out here and we all live in log cabins, but you know differently. I know you meant no ill will by your comments on Hydroracer, and our club will definitely discuss the future of a early April race and race schedule at Eatonville...it sounded great in a warm room at an SOA board of directors meeting a few months back, but I'm still thawing out and cleaning the mud out of my shoes and equipment. One thing I ask you Mike is where were all of the CMH? I know their is a C-Mod kit out there available at a very affordable price, yet we had only three (lost one in testing Friday) true C-Mods at Eatonville last weekend and to make a class two stockers stepped up. Anything you can do to help promote this class would be greatly appreciated. To end this hopefully we can all work together to promote classes and future races.

PM me Mike, if you feel the need for follow-up.

Thanks
                  Jim

Comment

Eatonville

I think the race committee did a pretty good job, all things considered. I also try not to be pessamistic about the upcoming race year.....but I think things are going to get far worse before they get better....I have my own little sales company, and sales for me are down 15% from 2 years ago. I am seeing almost every one of my customers laying people off, with some customers that have truck fleets now laying off 1/2 of their work force due to the high cost of diesel....one person told me it was cheaper to pay unemployment insurance for those workers then it was to keep them employed. You can thank Wall Street and the big banks for that....they have speculators that are driving up the price of gas on a daily basis.....the top 1/4 of one percent of people in the United States are getting crazy rich while the rest of us watch our formaly middle class income go down the toilet. But I do hope people can scrape the money together to make it to some races this year. RacerDave

Comment

Makes me proud to be part of SOA

Okay, through all this negativity (sorry, but it gets old guys) I want to share a letter I received today from The Eatonville Family Agency (food bank).

Thank you so very much for your financial support to our Food Bank! Your kindness is sincerely appreciated. The thoughtfulness you have shown will help many in need that come to our agency.

Thank your for your donation of $1,439.00

Great job group. You are to be commended.
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Nilsen Racing View Post
                        Okay, through all this negativity (sorry, but it gets old guys) I want to share a letter I received today from The Eatonville Family Agency (food bank).

Thank you so very much for your financial support to our Food Bank! Your kindness is sincerely appreciated. The thoughtfulness you have shown will help many in need that come to our agency.

Thank your for your donation of $1,439.00

Great job group. You are to be commended.
                        Jim
                        That is really great. Makes it all worth wild in the end. How much can food did they collect??

Comment

Hey Bill D. were was your boat? When you bring a boat to the race you can whine and complain.

99R

Comment

sorry

Originally posted by Racerkyle20
                            Stock classes got 2 heats like everyone else. where are you getting 3? Only class that ran more than 2 heats was CSH, they had eliminations which at a nationals require a 2 heat elimination and 2 heat final format. CSR waited at the water for our 2nd heat because we were racing for double points (didnt get the 8 boat count, but 5 boats still get double winternational points).

CMH, 350cch, antique we not racing for nationals. Sorry Mr. Phillips got one heat, i'm am sorry. But he had a full test day to run on friday, which he did not/could not do.

Bill, i like you but when you get on HR.... Please make sure you know what you're talking about before you post and rant about something you know nothing about.
                            what i meant to say was when single heat format was called, DMH was in the water ready to go. at the end of the 4th flight the first class (in my opinion) that should have got the nod should have been DMH.

i understand that winter nationals are a double point race but all folks pay to play and should be treated equal.

like you too man... your stuff looked really good this weekend.
                            Last edited by Team 12R; 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM. Reason: oops
                            Bill Dingman "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

This might help explain it

Originally posted by Team 222R
                              the CSR racers were waiting in the water hoping for their 3rd heat of the day before race time expired? .
                              I'm going to guess here Mr Dingman didn't make the distinction between CSR and 25SSR since they were all the same boats.
                              Moby Grape Racing
                              "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

Comment

Working...
                              X