Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For My Best Friend, A True Champion

Dad,
    Im not the young Man I once was. I've gotten older in a bigger hurry than I could have ever imagened. Ive decided to give it a few more years, to have a blast and give it all I have. I cannot ever remember not having a racing boat. "Just an old plywood boat, I cant replace the way it made me feel." From the longest days at the lake which wasnt easy on any of us from all the hard work, the shop at the workbench. Putting together countless engines, oh and not to forget all the beer drinking, from the surface plate, hones and files and all the long nights,and good times we had. All the Friends we made along the way. Going to the lake making one lap at a time. Coming back in reading gauges and talking. Making some changes and going back out and doing another lap. All day long. Extremely hard work. It never seemed like that to me it was like nothing else in the world. The most fun I have ever had. From finding that right set up and prop just knowing you were hauling ass and nothing else ever gave you that feeling. From coming back to the shore and you seeing a smile on my face and me seeing a smile on yours, we knew we were fast. The love you put into putting a smile on my face. Times that cannot and will not ever be forgotten. We run with best, got beat by the best and beat the best. 7 National Championships and 3 Records, Most of all Times spent with my BEST FRIEND.
    Thank You Pop's

Jeffery
    34-F
    Attached Files

Thanks!

Wow - thanks for posting. That is the most positive statement on Boat Racing that I have read in a long time - in print - on the web - anywhere. Makes me miss the same tireless work I put in with my friends - complained about at the time - and now miss so much. Enjoy the rest of your ride.

Greg Jacobsen

Comment

Loaded with character.

Comment

Well said Jeff

Many who read that will wish they had written it.

Count me one of 'em

Brad Walker
        302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Well said Jeff!!! You and your dad are a class act that I have had the good fortune to hang out with. I can still remember selling that bezoat to you the week before the Stroud AOF Nationals and you winning two championships and the ear to ear grin you and Skip had. Although I wondered if I was crazy for selling that boat, it was very much worth it seeing your excitement when you came in after the race. Just one story of many. I too share in your story of hanging out with my dad many, many hours around the race boats. We are both two very lucky/blessed guys.

Rick Miller
          34-0

Comment

Oh my, Jeff. That was beautiful. So true about your Dad. I will add that he is also a very good and loyal FRIEND to all of us. It has been a joy these many years knowing you and your DAD and being your friends. We are the lucky ones, all those who have had the chance to know the Carters.
            PS. I still think you make moon shine in that shop way back in the Alabama woods. lol
            Connie

Comment

Jeff, this is such a great post, I'm sure Skip is extremely proud of all your comments. Sometimes it can be difficult for a son to tell his Dad just how he feels and how they can idolize each others companionship while enjoying life together. I'm glad that you and your Dad have the same close love and friendship as ya'll have showed to the rest of us over the years. The Carter's are just super people, super friends and super competitors. Its an honor just having people like you in our sport.
              Those of us that have been raise up in racing families can really related to Jeff's feelings. I've had some of the same closeness with my Dad over the years. I will never forget my first APBA National Championship win in Hinton, WV. when I won CMH, my Dad was right there in the water to catch me when I came in with the biggest smile I think I ever saw on his face and when I got my helmet off he saw mine which was followed by one of the biggest hugs we ever had. This is boat racing, a truely family sport.
              Jeff, after ready your posting I clearly know what I have to do now, Thanks

Comment

Jeff,

Comment

Jeff
                  I`ll never forget the days of our AMH, BMH, and B1 races together. You were always a tough, safe racer that I had no problems or concerns with running deck to deck with you. Jeff and Skip will be missed.
                  Your Missouri Friend
                  Ron Whittaker

Comment

Great post Jeff; and here's pics of the great Carter family.

I met the Carters in Pineville several years ago, and I have a great deal of respect for the championship efforts and actions of both of them. The Carters even loaned me a boat one year so I could toss my 25XS in the trunk and make it to a race at the last minute.
                    Here's a picture of Jeff's boat sitting still at Lake Buhlow (it STILL looks fast, even sitting still).
                    Another shot with Jeff (yellow shorts) next to Skip along with the Mississippi boyz.
                    Tom Brockmeyer
                    Attached Files

Comment

Amen

Jeff, the fun times we have had over the years, you are right, nothing could ever replace those memories. I think back in my mind and all I see are boat racing memories as a kid growing up.
                      Dave Mason
                      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Thanks for bringing our boating fun all back into perspective.

Here's to tired Mondays, bloody knuckles and having the time of your life.
                        http://vitalire.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X