Lockhaven Dash for cash new format idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockhaven Dash for cash new format idea

I know this is a once a year event and it is for CSH. Is it for two heats, 3 laps and how much money is involved? Do folks pay a seperate entry fee for it and do you have to run eliminations?

I have an idea for another version for our Western Divisionals in Montana this year. I was wondering if folks thought something like this would work. The only bad thing is Lockhaven is only for one class. I am sure a lot more folks would like a chance.

NEW IDEA

20SSH and CSH go with a beach start and once they round the first turn and are half way up the back stretch a ref drops the flag and the C mod,DSH and D mod take off from the beach and try to run them down in 3 laps first heat and 4 laps on the second heat. No more than 10 boats and the slower boats have to stay on the bouy line. I figure if there are a lot of folks interested in this at the race you allow folks to pay $10 per ballot and they can put there name in the jar as many times as they want for an additional $10 hoping they get drawn to run. It would gererate money for the club putting on the race and I think the fans and drivers would have fun watching and running in it.

Be nice but what do you think?
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Outside of the nationals (and maybe divisionals), Lockhaven's Dash for Cash is the biggest CSH race in the country. It would probably be the best idea to keep the classes separate and have their own individual races. I don't think it would be all that safe on the water with boats that are traveling at very different speeds. And, with our style of racing our boats don't take off of the beaches even close to anything like the UIM stuff. More than likely there would be huge rollers all over especially if boats are starting at different times.

-Bill

Comment

Inboards have done this before... they used the clock... I can't remember the exact time intervals... but it was something like at 30 seconds three 2.5L started, at 45 seconds three 5L started and at 60 seconds a couple 7L or GP or something started. This was 15 years ago at Valleyfield. It was a huge hit with the crowd. The finish was very close. They did it for a few years I believe.
      Fralick Racing
      Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

Dash for cash............

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
        I know this is a once a year event and it is for CSH. Is it for two heats, 3 laps and how much money is involved? Do folks pay a seperate entry fee for it and do you have to run eliminations?

I have an idea for another version for our Western Divisionals in Montana this year. I was wondering if folks thought something like this would work. The only bad thing is Lockhaven is only for one class. I am sure a lot more folks would like a chance.

NEW IDEA

20SSH and CSH go with a beach start and once they round the first turn and are half way up the back stretch a ref drops the flag and the C mod,DSH and D mod take off from the beach and try to run them down in 3 laps first heat and 4 laps on the second heat. No more than 10 boats and the slower boats have to stay on the bouy line. I figure if there are a lot of folks interested in this at the race you allow folks to pay $10 per ballot and they can put there name in the jar as many times as they want for an additional $10 hoping they get drawn to run. It would gererate money for the club putting on the race and I think the fans and drivers would have fun watching and running in it.

Be nice but what do you think?

Mike
        Just to give credit where credit is due the DASH FOR CASH evolved from Walt Gladkowskis efforts back in the late 70's and 80's in what was then called the Blue Chip Challenge. Walt hand painted and framed a gorgeous racing picture and awarded it to the winner. In addition there was a cash prize. He made copies and i believe all the other classes at the Lock Haven event got framed replicas as race winners. To this day i have his pictures hanging around the house.

The current format tends to change year to year. Sometimes we run the eliminations just to get to the final 12 boats and then run 2 final heats and sometimes we run the elimination and then one final heat.........it seems to vary year to year. The drivers pay an additional $25 dollar entry fee to participate on top of the regular entry fee for the sunday event. The winner then takes all the money with the last place finisher getting a $25 gag cash award. The event has taken on a life of it's own over the decades and as previously posted draws the second biggest field of CSH's after the Nationals. And this past year actually drew MORE CSH's than the Nationals!! I believe we had 26 enteries.

As far as your idea of a mini marathon with multiple classes........i am not so sure Hydroplanes are really suited for such a format!! Looks more like a tunnel boat venue!

Matt

Comment

Mike,
          This is the format that is used in England at their Thursady night racing on Oulton Broad. It works very well for them. They draw a huge crowd to their races and they "pay" to watch! They run OSY-PRO-OPC. They have the staggered start and time for each class all figured. VERY exciting racing- both the drivers & spectators like the challenge .
          Bill
          racer giles

Comment

It would not be a marathon. Just two heats one for 3 laps and then later the second one for four laps. Are not nationals a 4 lap heat.

I remember back when I was young the limiteds had a final heat with all the class winners for three laps and they ran to there boats. I know that would be a bit unsafe but it was the best race I ever saw. The flat bottom was out first and still was taken down by a blown 7 litre in the last corner of the last lap.

Just seems like something like this would really keep the fans around and if set up right could generate some money and serious interest for racers and fans.

Yes you could not do this on a small lake where wakes would roll out but a large area like our site in Montana would not have an issue. It is BIG water!

Comment

NBRA Does It

I have done one real close to what you described, a few years ago in Shelbyville IL race. First, I think it was 12 boatsthat registered (any class hydro) were entered. There was a pretty good cash prize for the winner. Funny thing was, the SEH was not the fastest around the course... and Brent Simmons in I believe it was a 20SSH or maybe his CSH led until the last corner of the last lap. This was a real fun event to watch, and had the crowds watching close. Just about everyone in the pits was watching too. It was a BLAST. Give the spectators what they want and your prize money will prolly go up year after year.... It is a great way to build some strong relationships with the crowds ar venues and hook them. If the crowds show up, the sponsors will follow.

Mike, do it up how you want, don't try to copy the Dash For Cash, it is just a race that works well for that venue. Exciting, yes, the crowd LOVES it there. May or may not work at your venue. But please, try something !! It is exciting to see some things outside the box of normal.
              Dave Mason
              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

I think we will give it a try. Folks in this area are dieing for excitement. Last year was our first year and we could not race till Sunday but Saturday over 2000 folks showed up to watch and many more turned around when the word went out over cell phone that the event was cancelled for the day. It was crazy so I think we will come up with a version that will be interesting and help promote the event even more..

I am leaning towards a timed stagger start from the beach. I guess the big thing is to figure out the interval between classes for the start and I want eveyone up and running before the first boat exits the far turn and heads for the start/finish line. I am sure this will all be on our big 1 mile coarse. I am thinking 10 seconds between each class with 20SSH first and D Mod last. If we had FEH I think 20 Seconds after D Mod.

I think Dave is right. We need to try somethings outside the box to get the excitment back in racing for the racers and Especially the fans which are harbouring our future racers.

Comment

Talk To

Mike,

Talk to Keith Kampen, I think he organized the event NBRA did. We did the delay starts, he might have some notes as to how much time between classes. We did it on a short course, about 3/4 mile or a little less. On a big course I think you will have plenty of time to pull it off.

One thing to note is to make sure you rally others to pit for the beach starts. Some classes will take three to launch as two lift, one ropes, or starts the engine. Have fun with it and make it a cool special event.
                  Dave Mason
                  Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
                  X