New to the sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the sport

I first posted on Hydroracer in the Fall to say i'm new to the sport. Over the ensuing months, i bought an older csh sorensen and a 302 Yamato. and during that time i've been working at trying to put it all together. i have to say i've had tons of help and encouragement from folks on this site. i say this in light of the fact that i'm going on 62 years and have high hopes of doing some racing soon. i just wanted to share my elation at having started the 302 for the first time this afternoon. what a great sound. i live on the water and have been around two--stroke outboards my entire life, but nothing beats this. again, that you for endulging me this opportunity.

welcome and you are never to old to start racing. Many of the folks in our group over here in Spokane are all well into our 50's and many are real close to sixty. We have look forward to each year and are thankfull for every time we get together.
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Age?...what's age?..state of mind

Originally posted by apache88 View Post
      I first posted on Hydroracer in the Fall to say i'm new to the sport. Over the ensuing months, i bought an older csh sorensen and a 302 Yamato. and during that time i've been working at trying to put it all together. i have to say i've had tons of help and encouragement from folks on this site. i say this in light of the fact that i'm going on 62 years and have high hopes of doing some racing soon. i just wanted to share my elation at having started the 302 for the first time this afternoon. what a great sound. i live on the water and have been around two--stroke outboards my entire life, but nothing beats this. again, that you for endulging me this opportunity.
      OK, this is what I picture happened:
      Despite Apache's considerable experience, he's slightly nervous prior to roping his 302, to bring this Japanese beast to life. He ropes,...and IT STARTS! With his finger on the carb throttle, he's revving up and down. Man, that's sweet. Now he's ELATED! Could stand there and rip it all day, but reason prevails and he realizes, I better not cook it. Thumb off, and shuts down. AHHH, CONTENTMENT!...asks himself, where did I put that beer?.. grabs it...takes a swig...stands and just admires the 302. SWEET!
      OK, now I have to go inside, get on HR, and share this moment with others that understand,...because my wife couldn't give a S--T!

Stock Outboard Racing!....because other sports,....golf, football, baseball, etc....only require one Ball!

Comment

Nice

Originally posted by hydroid View Post
        Despite Apache's considerable experience, he's slightly nervous prior to roping his 302, to bring this Japanese beast to life. He ropes,...and IT STARTS! With his finger on the carb throttle, he's revving up and down. Man, that's sweet. Now he's ELATED! Could stand there and rip it all day, but reason prevails and he realizes, I better not cook it. Thumb off, and shuts down. AHHH, CONTENTMENT!...asks himself, where did I put that beer?.. grabs it...takes a swig...stands and just admires the 302. SWEET!
        OK, now I have to go inside, get on HR, and share this moment with others that understand,...because my wife couldn't give a S--T!

Haha that's beautiful mate .....exatly as I pictured it to lol

CMH. 61R
        Short Fuze Racing
        Team Darneille
        ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
        IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

Originally posted by hydroid View Post

You forgot to mention the smell of the 2-stroke oil (Klotz). I run it through my lawn mower just to remember the good time of racing when I'm doing my chores.......LOL!!
          Sean Byrne

Comment

Startup

Pretty close to the truth, although it was 45 degrees out and a little cold for celebration. I actually had no idea if it would even run: motor has been sitting for a while. I had to improvise a started rope from my garage door opener . Too my surprise it started on the fourth pull. Says a lot for those motors.Gave it a few hits on the throttle and shut it off. As i live in Upstate New York it's gonna be a few weeks before the ice is gone. But until then, i have plenty to do. thanks to all who replied. i've been around boats a long time; but nothin like this!!!

Comment

I remember when I got my yamato 102 (basically the same as 302 with points instead)

Had been sitting in someone garage for 10-12 years. We did a few basic checks, compression, spark and so on. Started very easily. We did later have it rebuilt because we didnt know its history. But we were told the crank bearings were in great shape, but it was better safe then sorry.
              Silas Jordan
              Windham, Maine
              CSR 53A (2B till the boat gets redone)
              Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

Thats great. It wont be long now. can't wait to see the rig and run with you.

Comment

new to the sport

I'd just like to finish this post by thanking some folk who have been a great help to me. I hope they won't take offense for mentioning their names on line. Special thanks go out to Fran Johnson and his father, Pat Davids and Tom Cronk. these foks didn't know me from adam when i contacted them and yet, they were great. thanks to all.

Comment

Hard to beat the sound of a yamato 80-102-302.It is beautiful music!!!!
                    Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X