Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any fellow hydro design enthusiasts out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing you see a lot is an off set cockpit and ones that are not. Opinion?
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
      I thought this thread was about Design and not set up. Seems Dave M had a post on Boat Set Up a few weeks ago.
      That happened because the original poster added a question that was about set up more than design.

Like Sonny posted, there aren't many design parameters and none are secret. Anyone can purchase a new or used boat and measure; you can probably measure a friend's boat without paying a dime.

I think about all we could hope for with this thread is to learn where the design limits are for a particular rig ... what is too narrow, what is too wide, what is a cockpit too far forward or back ... how deep can a sponson be vs how shallow ... but the middle of the road that works best is already out there ...

For the current motors and rules we have probably seen "the end of history" for small hydro development. I think almost everything has already been tried and either we are using it, or it's been discarded

The most radical thing I can think of that might have some promise is a laydown hydro without a distinct cockpit ... more of a flounder shape with much of the upper surface smooth. This might also have a possible safety feature in that a boat crashing into it might be more likely to pass over it without doing as much damage to either boat. A glancing blow rather than a hard impact.

If I hit the Powerball, I'll have someone built one and test it.

Comment

I keep hoping to win Powerball to but someone told me you have to play to win. Whats with that?
        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

I thought this thread was about Design and not set up. Seems Dave M had a post on Boat Set Up a few weeks ago.
          Again, good point.

I think the turning fin is such a critical feature of boat design the builder of the boat should design it, set it up, and supply it.

Some do.

BW
          302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

I agree. On the Pugh I used to run I thought the fin bracket was accidentally put on slightly crooked by someone so I straightened it out. BIG mistake. I could not get the boat to handle correctly until I returned it to its original position. Art knew where it belonged.

Which brings me to this conclusion ... if you are having trouble with your set up or have questions ... the first person to ask is your boat's maker!

Comment

Well then...
              How about this.
              What sort of boat design changes have been implemented to compensate for the 3/4" rule?
              And... How out of date did that rule change make some boats?

Comment

Working...
              X