My first boat building project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first boat building project

It is finally finished. I got back into the sport last year with two grandkids and building a boat was on the bucket list. Here are fotos of a Sorensen Jackel copy. A kit was purchased from Darryl Sorenson since there are no plans. Found some Alaska Sitka spruce (clear) italian mahogony and planed and ripped out the frame components, routed the necessary pieces. Used a squeegee to apply epoxy on both sides of the plywood, sanded the exterior, applied laquer color trim, clear snap coat urethane, wet sanded, polished and buffed out the finish. Complete with new 15s Sidewinder and prop. This should be fun. Weight is 100 lbs flat with heavy floorboard and heavier bottom since I weigh 132.

Can't wait to try it out. This is the first time I tride to upload pictures.

Bob Smiley
    Attached Files

It looks great, Enjoy

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Awesome job!
        Bob

Comment

Way cool! Can't wait to see it at Eatonville!
          Kyle Bahl
          20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Kyle,

Where can I test this puppy soon. I need to break in the motor and get some time in the boat? Kitsap, Jefferson and Clallam counties are shut down for these rigs. Are any of the Seattle crowd testing before our first race in Region 10?

Some help would be appreciated. I know nothing about hot rods (Sidewinders).

Smiley

Comment

That is a beautiful boat! I love the paint job! I also gather you figured out how to post while I was at dinner.

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

Nice!

I run a Sidewinder on a Jakyl and it is a sweet ride.

Remember the legal head gasket for thatr engine was changed at the national meeting, If you do nnot have the new "thicker one" you are not legal! unfortunately we found out testing today that the new part changes the whole ballgame as far as carb jetting and timing, not to mention that it "tones down" the top end. Check your engine and the new rules and most of all...Good Luck and have fun. Maybe we will make it up to the winter nats to meet and share notes.
                Dan Wilde
                58-C

"Don't let a win go to your head, or a loss to your heart." Chuck D

Comment

Dan,

I have not run that motor yet. What was the testing results on the motor and what specifically was changed. Last I heard was the motor was going to be compared to a very fast a runabout somewhere in FLorida and changes approved.

Smiley

Comment

Testing

The best lakes in the Seattle area to test at would be Lake Tapps in Black Diamond and Lake Sammammish in Issaquah. Tapps have select times with the inboards. usually saturdays like 10a-1p. But the best place i have found to test at is lake Sammammish. There is a state park there (pay your parking fee) and the cove area right in front of park is perfect for outboard testing. Let me know if you need any help. If i'm available (and the Dr. see fit) we can meet up somewhere for a test day before Eatonville.

PS: also sanctioned testing on friday of eatonville.
                    Kyle Bahl
                    20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Originally posted by Racerkyle20 View Post
                      PS: also sanctioned testing on friday of eatonville.
                      That is going to be one busy test session since a lot of us still have frozen testing waters. Should be fun.
                      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Smiley are you planning to come to Eatonville. It will be a great way to learn from the best. By the end of the weekend you will be trying to compute everything you were told. And you will also meet a lot of great folks willing to help you out.

Comment

Yes, Eatonville is on the agenda and yes, it is cold here to. Not frozen but Pacific Northwest damp cold. Are you coming out from Montana?

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
                            Yes, Eatonville is on the agenda and yes, it is cold here to. Not frozen but Pacific Northwest damp cold. Are you coming out from Montana?

That is the plan weather permitting.

Comment

Sidewinder 2011

Smiley,
                              They went to a rather thick head gasket( about twice the thickness of the original). Ed Runne has them (Dad already has one in ours). All of the Jetting needs to be changed and the metering rod does also. We even went to changing timing back and forth with each carb changes. They made the change to lower comp and it worked. Punch and turn speed is still there, but it is going to take work to get the top end up where it needs to be. I could almost keep up with J.Micheal at the divs. last year, If we can't get it back to at least that level, Eatonville looks far away.
                              Dan Wilde
                              58-C

"Don't let a win go to your head, or a loss to your heart." Chuck D

Comment

Working...
                              X