Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I do with this engine?

Howdy all.
    I have most of the parts to build an engine, but I don't know if any apba classes, aside from the one I left back home, will run one or allow one. It's one that the Cal-Ore River Racers run, I believe it's a 44 cu in Mercury 4 cylinder 2 stroke rated at 65hp. I just moved from Oregon, and I'm looking to get my feet wet in the hydro scene here on the East Coast, but I don't really know where to start, and all I have are those engine components, in need of a cleanup and some minor repairs. Does anyone know anything about this motor, where I can find the remaining parts I need, or if it's even worth my time given the rules of hydro racing in and near distric 5?

Sounds like you have a 'D' Mod engine.

To see and learn a little about motors that are currently run in the Stock Outboard category...go here.

www.stockoutboard.net

As for Mod (and stock), you can get the specs (no photos) by going to the Resources then Downloads/Forms section of apba-racing.com. Find the 2011 or 2010 Stock/Mod/J rule book link and view or download it.

All this should help.

Comment

Not a D mod

It's not called D mod anymore it's now 750cc Mod. We race them here in Region 5 and will be running them next month at Jesup, which is not too far from you. I am in Savannah and Steve Sawyer is in Richmond Hill GA, and we both race 750cc Mod.
      The 65 hp motor was not 44 cu in. the 44 cu in was 50 hp.
      Call me or email me and I will help figure it out. I will pm you my contact info.
      Bob

Comment

or you can stay right here and go to the new forum "40/44 Merc buy and Sell" Lots of spec pages on this post. If you put up some pictures of the motor it would help.
        Also there is a post on Budget building a D Mod motor.

It does sound like a D Mod motor and you could also get a hold of Lee Tietze at Machine Components ( Ad and contact is on HR home page).

It is called D or E Mod in AOF and I believe it goes by both names in NBRA. I would like to say this is not just an APBA site.
        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Welcome to the Southeast.

Come to the Jesup GA race. It is the Modified Winter Nationals event, the second biggest race of the year for the Modifieds. There will be people there from coast to coast.

Introduce yourself and come meet some fine people.

Brad Walker
          Walker Racing
          302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Budget d-mod

Try this thread
            http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/sho...ghlight=budget

Comment

Compare to the engine in pics....You have the same thing......D-MOD...Runnabout/Hydro

The river racers have to run a "Stock" powerhead.....(Bluepinted?)....and can run stacks/megaphones

Will give you a good ride/adrenalin rush....with this rig for sale....https://hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20815

SEEEEEEEEE YAAAAAAA....
              Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 03-04-2011, 05:27 PM.
              100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses, fellas. Looks to be the same as the thunderbolt in some of the pics. Off the top of my head, I can tell you that I have the block, crankshaft, reed cages, carbs, might have the pistons... Might have more than that, might have less. Can't remember if the reed cages were any good, they were the old style (better, IMO) made with brass instead of plastic. I rescued what I could recognize from a junk pile and started cleaning, had mud wasps building nests in six places. I also have a tower and lower unit. Seems to me the top of the tower needed a weld and plane, since whoever threw it away ran it with a couple of loose bolts... Ran them through that aluminum like a jigsaw. Gonna need a lot of work, but I have something to start with.
                Now, I've picked up a lot from being around the Cal-Ore guys. My dad used to run with them when I was a kid, and I followed them ever since. I know a fair bit about boat designs, (symmetrical, mind you; they turn hard both directions) have drawn up more than a few fast boats myself, but I never got to know the engines. If I could use my meager beginnings and build my own, I would be grateful for the chance to learn all its ins and outs, but would it be more worth my money to buy one in better condition instead of piecing one together?

Comment

Go to Jesup, GA on April 14,15 & 16.

Directions:FROM SC/GA LINE: I-95 South to Exit 76, take Route 84 West thru Hinesville to Jesup Town Center (approx. 40 miles on Route 84). Stay on Route 84 thru town, go 6.5 miles to Route 203 (turn right), go 4.5 miles to Griffis Road (turn right), go 1/2 mile to Lake Grace Pits.
                  FROM GA/FL LINE: Take I-95 North to Exit 36, West on Route 25 to Jesup, GA Town Center (approx.35 miles on Route 25) to Route 84 (turn left). Go approx. 6.5 miles to Route 203 (turn right), go 4.5 miles to Griffis Rd. (turn right), go 1/2 mile to Lake Grace Pits. * * * * * GPS address - 823 Griffis Rd., Screven, GA 31560 * * * * *

Accommodations:Jameson Inn - (912)427-6800 * * * * * Ramada Inn - (912)427-7760 * * * * * Days Inn Express - (912)427-2980
                  If these motels are full, Baxley, GA is the next closest town. There is a shorter way to Baxley directly from the pits that mapquest does not show. ** RV's NOT allowed in pits, only in designated area outside of pit area - no hookups. ** RV's and campers (tents) must check in with Steve Sawyer or Bob Dunlap prior to setting up, or you may be asked to move. ** NO showers available. ** NO 4-wheelers or motorized scooters allowed in pits.
                  Last edited by PopPop; 03-04-2011, 09:38 PM.
                  !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

Originally posted by Fear the Duck View Post
                    Thanks for the quick responses, fellas. Looks to be the same as the thunderbolt in some of the pics. Off the top of my head, I can tell you that I have the block, crankshaft, reed cages, carbs, might have the pistons... Might have more than that, might have less. Can't remember if the reed cages were any good, they were the old style (better, IMO) made with brass instead of plastic. I rescued what I could recognize from a junk pile and started cleaning, had mud wasps building nests in six places. I also have a tower and lower unit. Seems to me the top of the tower needed a weld and plane, since whoever threw it away ran it with a couple of loose bolts... Ran them through that aluminum like a jigsaw. Gonna need a lot of work, but I have something to start with.
                    Now, I've picked up a lot from being around the Cal-Ore guys. My dad used to run with them when I was a kid, and I followed them ever since. I know a fair bit about boat designs, (symmetrical, mind you; they turn hard both directions) have drawn up more than a few fast boats myself, but I never got to know the engines. If I could use my meager beginnings and build my own, I would be grateful for the chance to learn all its ins and outs, but would it be more worth my money to buy one in better condition instead of piecing one together?
                    I would say get a motor you can use now and then learn with the basket case as you go and meet more folks in your area that can help. That is what I am doing for this year.
                    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Working...
                    X