Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could someone help with a Merc Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could someone help with a Merc Question?

I always wanted a "D" Merc. I was putting one together tonight and I noticed that the drain hole on the gearcase was in a different place that I have ever seen before. I have only seen the drain plug on the bottom of the case (as seen in pic)...The new case has the hole way up on the top. What is the significance of this? was this a common thing that I am just unaware of? Was this specific to a certain motor, 35ss maybe? Thanks for any help
    Attached Files
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Sonny,
    I think it's just how the early cases vent'd for fill'n?.......(Personally, I prefer that style for flush'n lube out'a...?)

Got'a great rig avail for that powerhead........ https://hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20815 (tell (trade) him about yer Dad's Sanger (I want'a drive it!!!)

Luv ya, Bro.........100N
    Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 02-19-2011, 04:01 AM.
    100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Thanks Steve, ..Is that the deal?..you pump gear oil in until it runs out the drain hole clean? This is my "Rickie Bobby" motor I built it to learn how to go fast again... Bugs said he's going to tape a cereal box/bag to the side labeled "Colombian Bam Bam" and a small letter reminding me not to snort the lucky charms...lol... Alan's boat, Too bad that we don't see Alan anymore I always liked that guy. That green boat is a sharp ride, what are you guys asking for it?

Comment

Sonny,
        I had a one like that on my Merc. A little messy but, yes once the cleaner gear oil comes out screw it back in
        sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

drain hole

I think Merc changed it from the earlier Quicki gear cases to reduce the drag. The way to fill it is to pulll both plugs and push in lube from the bottom till it comes out the top then replace the top plug with lube filler still in the lower hole, then replace the lower plug and very little should drain if done quickly.

I prefer the drain at the bottom because in the later gear cases you really couldn't drain out all the old lube and the old is supposedly displaced with the new but not really the case as a good portion of the old will remain expecially if water present that settles at the low point.

I pull the gear case and drain out the lube by rotating gear case then refill right side up.
          Last edited by ZUL8TR; 02-18-2011, 07:09 AM.
          "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
          No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Cool.. never noticed that before...here is the scene I was referring to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Qpb...&feature=email

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
              ... This is my "Rickie Bobby" motor I built it to learn how to go fast again...
              -what powerhead are u putting on that mid?
              A 44xs, or a SuperThunderbolt 44" ?
              Brian Hendrick, #66 F
              "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

D foot

That's a KG9H/40H case that someone welded a bigger skeg onto. What does your water inlet look like? The KG9H/40H had a series of approx. 12 small inlet holes on the side of the bullet to the WP cartridge. Run it!

Comment

Originally posted by bh/ View Post
                  -what powerhead are u putting on that mid?
                  A 44xs, or a SuperThunderbolt 44" ?

I have a D mod for it that is not done yet. I went with the XS tower so I could run D stock or D mod.. All I had lying around was a stock 44 super thunderbolt. I will put a motorcycle battery in the boat, push a button and go. no roping...and it's a pumper, I don't have to ream the heck out of it to get the water in so I can putt putt putt all day cottage to cottage to get my whits back about me with the hydroplane... I think that it is important for me to get over my fear of that machine right now and this motor is how I intend on doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by alanaker View Post
                    That's a KG9H/40H case that someone welded a bigger skeg onto. What does your water inlet look like? The KG9H/40H had a series of approx. 12 small inlet holes on the side of the bullet to the WP cartridge. Run it!
                    Good call. That is exactly what it is. unfortunately that old sand cast case is a little too far gone for my liking. I found the new case and had the threads taken .015 oversized and had a tailcone nut made custom for it. The new case arrived painted black... rumor is that the black cases were replacement cases from Mercury

Comment

Here is a pic of the whole motor. It is 100% stock...witch makes me wonder...is this a legal D stock? the production date of the powerhead is 1974
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sonny, you throwing that on a hydro? or are you going to run with Luce gang
                        sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Originally posted by DiGia54D View Post
                          Sonny, you throwing that on a hydro? or are you going to run with Luce gang
                          George has my D mod right now. He has been a huge help with the D mod program. Great guy. I would love to get a good runabout and mix it up with those guys, but I would want one of those Luce style boats. Those guys are having too much fun with that ride...I gotta check that out. The D mod is something that I lost my mind with...I'm hoping that it is outrageously fast when I get it back. I have a deal struck for a laydown FEH.. to do some lake running it will be harder to get into trouble with a boat that big...from there.. Yes I am waiting for a luce runabout to pop up for sale or trade.

Comment

Cougar in the boat!! ha ha

Here is the exercise we are doing today to get me ready for my return to boat racing....ha ha ... thanks Bugs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYIKd...eature=related

Comment

The first gearcase pictured, the bare aluminum unit, is a modified KG9 style, sandcast unit. The GREASE fill screw is located on th bottom of the torbedo. It is not a drain plug. The Black gearcase is a later style MK55H or 35SS unit. It's GREASE fill port is located on the side. Both units have the vent screw located in the same place. The later style unit was designed to be run with most of the unit, in particular the toprpedo above the surface of the water. You'll notice that the water inlets differ. The single hole located at the top of the sked affords more elevated operation without compromising engine cooling. Again, the units were designed to use GREASE as a lubricant, and the use of oil only shortens their life. Ask me how I know this. R.T.

Comment

Working...
                              X