New Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Class

I wanted to start a new thread on this topic. First, I want to thank everybody that has shown interest in this project. I was blown away by the support I have recieved, both here on HR, on the phone, and via e mail. I was somewhat apprehensive going to the national meeting in Detroit that my idea would get blasted by people...quite the contrary, not one person was against it.....and this includes people not directly involved in stock racing. The race director at Seattle Outboards first race, Tony Perman, would like to run this class as a local event at our'e first race of the season, Silver Lake Eatonville, april 1-2. Pending SOA board approval of course. I have a lot of work ahead of me for sure. Jeff Conant from region 12 will be testing a prototype of the rig at Lake Havasu in 2 weeks, and will send me all the test data as to speed, handling etc. He is going to use region 12's J props to start...we will see how that goes. Ed Hearn would like an advisory committee be put together for the class. I will head the committee up....Howie Nichols from region 5 has said he is interested...I would like to see 2 more people involved...one from California and one from the Midwest/east coast. (Dean Sutherlin?) Here is a rough draft of what the class will look like. First off, we need to find a good name for it. Remember, this class will not be limited to novice drivers....anybody over the age of 15 or so can drive it. Here is a rough draft of the specs: Total boat weight, including driver, will be around 460lbs. That puts it half way between C hydro and D hydro. Prop height will be 1.5 inches below the bottom of boat. Motor? Still working on that. There will either be a claim on the prop, or some kind of prop draw, like they do in J hydro. And, when we get the motor thing worked out, some kind of claim on the motor. I am going to need help with the promotion aspect of it, as well as working out the details. But, I want this thread to stay in a positive vein...I don't want to hear why it won't work, because I am firmly convinced that it will. This class will help feed the other classes, such as 15 ss, 20ss, CSH, and so on down the line. When people see how much fun they are having, and they want to go a little faster...well...you get the idea. Also...It would be so cool if we could have this rig at a race with a pre-determined price, such as $3500 (maybe wishfull thinking) which would include motor, boat, cart, and safety gear. This would make it competative with Kart racing and some Motorcycle racing. One stop shopping would sure help matters. Ok...I need ideas....and keep it positive. Dave

Great idea

Dave: Looks like you guys could be on to something great for the sport going forward. Great effort on your part.

Sincerely,
    Don Graham

Comment

kudos dave............

i really hope you can get some form of this put together, and working. awesome job so far kevin

Comment

Congratulations Dave on your success. This is going to be a great class! -Teresa

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

Another example..............

You should check with the tri-hull racers as they have the same format. Seemed to work well for them.

Comment

Ron Hill

Ron seems to be the driving force behind that....I will be in contact with him. I am going to spend the next week or so getting my equipment ready for winternationals, so will not have a ton of time to devote to this....but I am getting so many offers of help from people so not to worried about it. Dave

Comment

I think if you want to make the class affordable and develope good new drivers than you should have a spec motor, props from a drawing and identical boats. Then it comes down to starts and driving skill.

I guess my first question would be can you get the motor price down at all from the $2096 list price. That will determine how much a whole set up will cost. Safety gear is another $1200 for new and that would be the way I would want someone to start out. If you are shooting for $3500 total cost then only having $200 for boat and cart is not going to work for a new package. If folks could bend a little you could maybe get all new for about $4500.

Just thinking out loud
              Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Working...
              X