Engine builders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine builders

Time to start a new subject. For those of you engine folks out there what do you prefer for honing your cylinders. Where is the best price for a cylinder hone and what grit stones do you prefer. What other tools do you really require to rebuild say Yamato and Mercs?

This will be to help me and folks just getting started and want to tinker with there motors to keep them in top shape. I have a lot of questions on rebuilding these motors but we will go one step at a time kind of like my boat building post.
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Mike
    Sunnen products
    St Louis Missouri
    Hand held used with 1/2 inch Drill motor
    They also have a web site so google em

A model JN will do just about all ya need
    There are several stones ya can use but keeping them clean is a must
    Not really hard to do just take your time and fit to the skirt clearance you want (there is allot of opinions about this but try and use is the best)

Pat

Comment

Whooopty beads, AKA bead hone 2 1/2" diameter for the 102, 2" for the 80. And Honeing oil, Not brake fluid, not wd40...Honeing oil. You only use honeing stones when you are mounting the block to a fixture plate and torqueing it flat. And then big time with the hot soap and water like you are washing fine china.
      Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Comment

Glaze breaking/ Honing

Sounds like you are talking about Glaze breaking? Glaze breaking for installing new rings! Honing is to bring to size a hole that was just bored ! I give mine and many others a quik glaze break with a 3 stone auto shop hone trying to make a 45 degree cross hatch, remember the more you run that hone in and out the more sloppy your bores become!

Comment

Wright Hone

Pat Wright has it nailed. Sunnen is a real good one.

You will also want to pick up a few dingleberry hones for cross hatching, etc. These are cheap and can be picked up at almost any auto parts chain store. Some refer to them as ball hones I think.

Don't go cheap on the Sunnen hone, buy one with interchangable stones, and buy extra stones. It will last your lifetime if you take care of it. Oh, and pick up a dedicated widow maker drill. (1/2" chuck). An old one that is all metal works well. One with a keyed chuck.

Oh, and be prepared to practice on some junk blocks to get the hang... well hopefully you won't hang up on the ports... hehehe. I have been knocked on mu butt with the widow maker when it grabs something.. you have been warned.
          Dave Mason
          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

You guys might want to check this out before you hone your next block. http://www.experts123.com/q/what-is-...te-honing.html. I should be charging for this info...lol Torque plate for stones...been known since the 70's.

Comment

sonny

Sure? how are you going to bolt a plate for honing on my 85 merc ? or any engine without removable heads ?

Comment

3,649 ways to hone a block

Wow have you opened up Pandoras box. Sit back boz and girlz this thread will be like to Energizer bunny thread.
                Attached Files
                Tom L.

Comment

In the article it sais that both ways are ok and will work but in instances were you can it is worth doing to get a few key things. But I have to wonder with outboard specs like the Yamato motors it cant be much. For the Merc I use a 944 Van Norman perfecto boring bar with a "Ground Zero" cutting head. I have an extra one for sale if you are interested. I wasn't being a wise guy with my last post I was hoping that it might be a eureka! moment for someone. It was for me and I like to go the extra mile on my outboards. After all, it might be worth something, and it is not illegal to do.
                  Last edited by Sonny; 02-01-2011, 07:23 PM.

Comment

all suggestions are welcome. Everyone has a different way of doing things and this will give anyone interested a lot of options. If a person is interested in just giving the cylinders a good cross hatch for new rings what do you recomend?

Comment

http://www.brushresearch.com/flex-ho...FQjd4AodJC_m0w

Comment

Sonny I use to use those to rebuild wheel cylinders back in the 70's when I was a auto mechanic. I guess they are still around.

Comment

A 320 grit Flexhone (dingleberry hone) is as good as it gets for glaze breaking.

Comment

Originally posted by SAWYER View Post
                            A 320 grit Flexhone (dingleberry hone) is as good as it gets for glaze breaking.
                            thats what we called them in the seventy's. Is there one size that will work for most of the engines used? Maybe 2.5 diameter? or do I need a couple sizes for a yamato and merc?

Comment

Please do not! I repeat do not use any hone on a 1/2 inch drill if you do not have a good bore guage or lots of experience with a telescopic guage to check with. A brand new sunnen hone with sharp stones and a high speed 1/2 inch drill can ruin a block in a heartbeat. Deglazeing can and should only be done by hand unless you very experienced and have a variable speed slow turning drill. A Lisle 3 stone automobile spring hone works good and can be used for many different sizes. They are very common and inexpensive.Use a light honeing oil for cast iron (sunnen website) turn by hand while pushing in and out to form a crosshatch.If the block has a removeable head go in from both sides.Wipe out the dirty oil and recoat before switching sides and repeat process until a nice uniform pattern is achieved.This hone is only to be used for deglazeing it cannot cure unstraitnees or out of round cylinders.

Comment

Working...
                              X