Capsuled runabout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capsuled runabout

Took these pictures several years ago in the pits of Depue. Found this very interesting, what ever came of this idea? Didn't look too practical or safe to me, but i'm a hydro driver.
    Attached Files

I hope someone can shed some light on this. It sure is weird??????????

Comment

500ccR

This was an experimental 500ccR boat that was built by Mike Krier. If I remember correctly, it was built for the Brinkman family. The oldest of the Brinkman brothers, Todd, had been seriously injured in a 500ccR accident. This was an attempt to get a capsule in a runabout. Rich Krier raced it for a few years. Having a capsule in the boat made it difficult to be competitive- similar to how the performance of the hydros suffered when the capsules were but in them.

Comment

Was it a matter of the CG being too high? It sure looks like that would be the case.

Comment

capsule runabout

I watched that boat at dePue 94 or 96 going in a straight line and hook and barrell roll! I thought good luck with that gobb o S%#+ !!

Comment

Capsule runabout

I think that one consideration with a capsule is you inability to lean over or move around in general.... especially in a runabout. The capsules do increase the weight of the boat and I would have to agree that they raise the CG as well. I have to be honest in my remarks ans say that I don't really like capsules much....

Comment

This boat was still a kneeler wasn't it? I don't see how one could actually sit in it...not enough headroom and you're right, you couldn't very well shift your weight in the turns.

Comment

capsule

No! a sitting capsule with not much control from what i had seen! maybe hang more sissy fins on it

Comment

Capsule runabout

This capsule is/was a hydro style capsule- sitdown and buckle up. I don't think you would want to get into it and rattle around..... I would guess that visibility wouldn't be very good either. But- it was an experiment and I have to give them credit for trying!

Comment

picture

it took me a while to find this picture but the boat did run.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The Krier Race boats probably single handedly brought back to life the runabout racing. The designs of the late great Ken Krier were innovative to say the least. What an engineer. And of course, nothing changes without some experimentation. So far, the capsule in runabout racing has not worked. Bless Krier Racing Shop for continually coming up with new designs that make them safer. A lot of thinking goes on out there in the shop. As the Mom, I am glad my boys are safer today because of all of that innovation. Sometimes you hit on an idea that works, sometimes you don't.

Comment

Krier Boats

Yankee Racing,
                        I could not agree with you more. That was well put. I have been running a Krier boat since 1999 in fact Mike Krier has rode with me in 1100r and drove my boat in 500r. They are a very stable and a well built boat considering the speeds everyone is running.

Todd

Comment

From what Ive seen spectating, runabout drivers need more room to move than hydro drivers. Probably about the same side to side but def- more front to back. That observation if wrong.. Anyway the capsule being the same as on a boat where so much body movement is less critical could possibly be re-invented for kneel / laydown boats. That said, lowering the C of G, & allowing for movement in kneelers might be a challenge but in a lay down the possibility is.. possible? or
                          Team Tower

Comment

I think you are correct. That capsule was a sit down. Rich drove it and he is not usually on here. I asked Terry why it did not work and he said it was a lot of things including CG. Too heavy. Wrong capsule design for this kind of boat. (They used what they could get that was legal at the time). Eventually a capsule could be formulated to work, but probably not sitting in a runabout. Most of the racers who have tried the laydown runabout say that is not the best invention either. That is why I am so happy that the emphasis has been put on making the present design safer. I am glad the boys take risks.
                            Funny story. Since Brian (Payn) is the young one of the team, he gets the leftovers. He got Mike's old boat. Mike made some changes to his new one. Maybe he made too many changes because now he wants the old one back. Sometimes progress means looking at things and taking a step back.
                            Connie

Comment

Its also hard to back away from an idea & the work behind a prototype. Often a 1st attempt wont work out & the innovator hears the 'music' Time then to quietly resume innovation & see how it goes. Its gotta be tuff when your proving ground is the race course as well.
                              Having to comply with capsule rules would make designing a lower wider kneel capsule difficult to fly, whether it could it be done not so much the question. How bout a standard capsule that can lean left.. or just too crazy?
                              Team Tower

Comment

Working...
                              X