No announcement yet.

AOF vs. NBRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actually i'm quite content with the pro divisions in both aof and apba, just was curious what nbra had for intentions in this area?? if the pro boats are run under special cir***stances...are they insured through the nbra policy?? kevin martin

Comment

After reading the posts so far, I am inclined to interject my thoughts. I was there at the meeting when NBRA was formed and split off from AOF. I was also the ONLY person, I think, to race at the APBA Stock and Mod, AOF, and NBRA Nationals this year. So hopefully I have seen the past and also am unbiased with whom I race with. By the way I don't care what the acronym/organization is, I just love to compete, win, and have a great time with people all over the United States. I quit racing from 2000-mid 2003, got my golf handicap down to a 4, but enjoy the boat racing much more. I very much enjoy the people I meet as mentioned above. So on to my thoughts:

I agree with the previous posts that on a local level, there is not a huge difference whether the AOF or NBRA are together or separate. On a National level I think there can be a huge difference. When I went to Whitney Point it felt like a National Championship. I had the butterflies in my stomach and wanted to win very badly. When I was at the AOF and NBRA Nationals it felt more like a big regional race. I did want to win very badly and there was great competition, but I did not have that same feeling inside like Whitney Point. Just 4-8 years ago at the AOF Nationals we had great participation and had the feeling of a National level race. This is why I think it would benefit AOF and NBRA to join back together. I think in time we would get our participation back to where it was. Again on a local level, I don't think it matters. Here in Oklahoma we are working on building our club back up. We have numerous new drivers interested in racing, and a chance to get OBRA back to our glory days of 10-20 years ago. I can tell you we are doing it differently than what other groups are doing. We are really focusing on fewer classes and having full fields with a shorter race program. This is something we can sell to a sponsor and promise a great race program that spectators will enjoy. We already for next year have a $5000, $4000, and two $2000 dollar races that are very likely to happen. We are not going to have 50 heats in one day like an APBA stock/mod race. It is going to be run in a way to enhance the viewing by spectators. We are also working on getting 2 more races, so a guy can race 6 times within a couple of hours. If he wants to drive further he can. I think this will help build up racing by encouraging racers to buy equipment and utlilize it without driving all over the United States. Once they are hooked (like me) then they will want to drive further to compete against different people. So hopefully these ideas will help people think about a merger possibility in the future to strengthen both organizations on a National level.

Rick Miller
      35-0

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Pigott
        This Sounds Like NOA In 1970, The AM. PRO. Div. Was Big Had A Race Almost Every Weekend. Then Came The Split, AOF Was Formed An Part NOA AM PRO Div. (MOD) Went To AOF The Rest Formed The MOD. Div. In APBA. I Think They Have Been Split All This Time. Anybody Remember The Last NOA Nat`s. At Portsmouth Oh.
        Hi Danny, I was not involved, and in fact never even went to an AOF race until 1982 after putting on the APBA mod nationals in 1980 and 81 and losing money. AOF looked like a good alternative, and was. I am intrigued by the history of the split with NOA. What I find interesting is that no one really ever says anythig bad about Claude Fox. I am wondering if it is because as time passes everyone knew he actually really did do some great things for boat racing? What is eerie and sad about what you explain is that if you look at the split of both NOA/AOF and AOF/NBRA 30 years later, they involve many of the same people! I am not sure what that says for the personalities of those involved. I don't think that is something I would be proud of. I did a lot of marriage counseling in my career, and I sure never recommened divorce as the answer. Usually things work out with time, patience, and a lot of bargaining. Most just aren't willing to do the work it takes, and instead just leave.
        Connie

Comment

Amen

Rick I couldn't agree with you more. The first several years I raced was with TORA( Texas Outboard Racing Ass.). When I finally could afford to, I went to Alexandria,La.. What a great coaurse and the competition was fierce. Had to pit down past the boat launch, trailers wall to wall and I've been hooked ever since. AOF's glory days and maybe it's just me,but I see a return of old drivers and there kids. So maybe it will happen again. Your right about starting on a local level and building.

Rusty Bonin

Comment

Hi Rick, Missed seeing you this year. I think what you are doing in Oklahoma is admirable. I wish we all had that energy. But again, forgive me for being dumb, but couldn't what you are trying to accomplish have been done under either the APBA OR the AOF banner? Either organization (to my knowledge) allows you limit a sanction to whatever classes you want to run. In fact, your format sounds a lot like the USTS and that is run under the APBA banner.
            The classes and the NBRA rulebook classes might be good for your area, but try running them in Washington or example. You would need to put on some pros to make ends meet and have enough boats just to make a sponsor happy. Connecticut Outboard and SSOA in Mass. are examples of clubs that like to have their drag boats and inflatables. I am guessing they get some pick up boat drivers from those crews. Not every club has someone as ambitious as your club members who can go out and find sponsors, so they are happy to run whatever shows. By limiting your classes in your rulebook, aren't you taking a chance of thwarting some of the growth? And if you add them to your rulebook, aren't you making twin organizations?
            Just trying to understand it all. And PS. can you send Brian's helmet before he outgrows it? (Unless Chelsea is going to use it, then you can keep it for another ten years. lol)
            Connie

Comment

Nbra_aof

Connie, Just want you to know that the statement concerning the PROS was my personal opinion. Not the official position of NBRA. My term as VP comes to a end at the meeting. I don`t want to burden the new officers with something they may not approve of. But that does not change the fact that you can come to the meeting, all are welcome. But to participtate in the formal meeting you must be a NBRA member.
              Their was a question about insurance. Pro drivers are covered when they race at the west coast events as a special event.
              Art

Comment

Connie I don't think you was involed with AOF when Oklahoma quit the AOF and went racing with APBA in I think about the mid 80's. It didn't work because there wasn't any support in that part of the counrty. I think it lasted one year. One thing the NBRA wanted to do is cut back on classes which I think we have done. No we don't cover everything that will float the same way car race track don't run everything that has four wheels. I'm for Rick and the shortened schedule, we just don't need more classes. Larry McAfee
                "I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X