Morphew Lives !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morphew Lives !

Ok, here's the short version of what I think is an interesting story. I had just purchased a CSR from a Rob Wilkins, 114-M on the truck. I stop for gas just before I get home and this guy comes over and starts chatting with me about my boat and a 114-M Morphew that his father campaigned in the 50's. He tells me that he has plans to duplicate his fathers boat. Fast forward to today I get an email from him the other day along with completed pics of the the new Morphew. I have to admit that I'm a sucker for nostalgia and history not to mention lean sexy boat designs. That said I am posting the following pics for Ed Kriewall the proud owner of this beautiful boat.

Sam,
    87-M
    Attached Files

Not only does it look good. I love the cost back then. Thanks for posting.
    sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

It costs at least three times that much just for materials. Sure looks nice
      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Frank Huebner, among other accomplishments, won the nationals in DSH in 1954,
        broccoli

Comment

Lets compare apples to apples please......

425 dollars in 1959 is the same as 3195.58 in 2010 dollars due to inflation.

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Dont get me wrong, I think it would be awesome to go down to my local marina and pick up a new rigged and finished DSR for 3200.

BW
          Last edited by B Walker; 01-11-2011, 10:13 AM.
          302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

I agree with Brad ... my father was the highest paid mechanic in the county where he lived in 1959 ... he brought home $18 a week.

That Morphew looks a little sleeker than other surviving models ... nice to see something different and done so well

Comment

....almost as pretty as the Raveau boats my dad ran in the 50s. On a trip to Marcel's shop, I got to see an A Raveau about ready to be picked up by a kid named Craig Dewald. I'll dig out some photos some day. The Raveau,and even the early DeSilva were built like furniture !
              Hunter III

Comment

Anyone that has seen Ralph DeSilvas shop recently or taken a close look at one of his boats knows he still makes them like fine furniture.

The Delta runabouts Ralph is making today are the most complex and difficult to assemble boats I am aware of.

Nobody has made more race boats than the DeSilva bros. and I cant imagine anyone ever will. I asked Ralph once how many they had made and he guessed at well over a thousand. That is one a week, every week, for more than 20 years.

BW
                302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

I sold ED a beautiful KG9H Mercury that I had rebuilt and restored a couple of years to run on this boat, he has been planning it for years.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X