Remember Hal Kelly boat plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember Hal Kelly boat plans

A couple shots of my Foo-Ling with a 1956 Hot Rod. The bottom fin is sitting on the rear deck. Photo is from 1999. Photo by Cooper. This Hal Kelly boat was built by a carpenter from Berlin Wisconsin, non racer who ran his Martin 200 racer on it but had so much trouble with the Martin that he put a 30H on it later. I had to build the transom up slightly for the Hot Rod after he cut it for the 30H.

Cooper
    Attached Files

our first boats

In 1970 my Dad ordered the plans for Hals Wetback B hydros. He helped my brother Mike and myself building them. We ran them with Mk25 and Mk 28 powerheads mounted on short and long shaft quickies...... Then we bought 30Hs and then the fun really began. The C motor was kinda top heavy for the short hydro BUT was fun. Mike later bought the plans for the Jupiter, building it for the 30H he decked it with birch, finished with Interlux Spar varnish. That boat floated quite high. Hals plans were very high quality for the time and easy to follow. Some of the plans are in fact still available, I actually bought a set of the plans for the OK JU to build this winter and plan on putting a period correct Merc Mk 5 on it. When's the last time anyone saw a Ju with the open front cockpit?????

Pete
    Don't laugh.....it's borrowed!!

Comment

Van Pelt Hydro

Yes Van Pelt did make hydros

Cooper
      Attached Files

Comment

i love hall kelly boats. my first boat ever was a ok in the early "70s. in the mid "70s bought a foo-ling. traded my dirt bike for a 20h and set out to piss off everone along the intercoastal in the tampa bay area. to fast to catch as i was only 135lbs at the time. i have many of his plans {ok;foo-ling;airborne;jinx;wetback;jupiter;ben hur} and would consider building one for anyone who wants one. in the last few years i have built four airborne's for the antiquer's. can be contacted at passionplayboatworks@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
        X