Sponsonhead's Doha Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsonhead's Doha Blog

Tomorrow, I get to embark on a journey to the farthest boat race from home I have ever attended: I'm traveling to Doha, Qatar to crew on the U-17 Red Dot boat at the Oryx Cup/UIM World Championship for Unlimited Hydros.

To say I'm kind of stoked about this is a wee bit of an understatement. In order to keep friends and family up-to-date on the trip, I've set up a blog page on the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum's recently revamped web site.

I don't know how often I will be able to post or to what extent internet conections will be decent (it looks like our Hotel is set up well for it, but looking and being can often be two different things), so I can't say how often I will be posting, but I will make every attempt to do regular updates: As regular as I can be, anyway....

So, if you care to follow along, here's the link to my blog. There's already a couple of pre-trip posts put up there:

http://thunderboats.ning.com/profile...=1ppco80y4rpve

Enjoy, and hope to be back on the 23rd, just before Thanksgiving!

R-19
    Last edited by sponsonhead; 11-15-2010, 02:17 PM.
    www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

In Qatar

Hi,
    When you get to Qatar, if you need anything, give me a call. I work in Qatar as a helicopter pilot and have been here for a couple of years now. I will be down in the pits so maybe I will see you. The local number is 6605-3465. If you are on a US based phone (ATT, Verison, etc) you may need to dial 974 first.

Hope to see you,

Peter Allen

PS It's OK to keep your eyes closed in fear the first time you are driven around Doha!

Comment

Internet in Doha

You had wondered on your blog about internet availability... There will be high speed access in your hotel and there is free high speed internet access provided by the government all along the Corniche (the road that goes around Doha bay) and that includes the pit area for the races. You should have no problems with access.

Pete
      6605-3465 (Doha)

Comment

Nice!

Thanks Pete, looking forward to meeting you. Sitting in SEA with the crew in the bar. People are asking about helicopter rides already

Stop by the Red Dot U-17 and say hi!

R-19
        www.gleasonracing.com

Comment

Day One Complete

Our first day of qualifying and testing is in the books. Blog has been updated. Read about Camel Tossing at http://thunderboats.ning.com/profile...=1ppco80y4rpve

R-19
          www.gleasonracing.com

Comment

cool good luck man and congrats
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X