Sidewinder update...wilson,nc divisionals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidewinder update...wilson,nc divisionals

Thanks to John Runne for letting me take 'many laps' with the 20ci Sidewinder probationary engine on friday (test day) at Wilson, NC ...........as the current SORC Commissioner from Region 4 i wanted to test drive the motor.

I am on Record as not being a advocate for the engine in the 20ssh class since i believe the Yamato 302 which is currently available should be the motor of choice in the class but since i was outvoted at the National Meeting we need to now focus on moving the Sidewinder forward.

I was very happy with the performance and 'ride'. The rig felt like a 'big boat' ride and handled the choppy water very well. The engine never missed a beat and although it has a narrow power band it was showing speeds within 1/2 mph of my 20ssh Yamato! Johnny built a new boat for the engine which seems to be a cross between a BSH hull and a CSH hull. He has done very little prop work and the engine appears to be basically box stock. Several other drivers including Earl the Pearl Desiato and Paul Price went out and ran tons of laps with it and it held up fine!

Anyway, i thought it appropriate to post my thoughts. Thanks to John for allowing us all to test out the motor. This type of public testing i think is important to help the Sidewinder program stay in the spotlight and to allow the decision makers a opportunity to get some hands on experience with the new engine. It is a nice ride...........

Matt D'Agostino
    Region 4 SORC Commissioner
    Last edited by Matt Dagostino; 07-20-2010, 10:11 AM.

Thank you for the update Mat

"The Coffee Guy"
    TEAM CAFFEINE
    Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
    " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Thanks Matt. There was a sidewinder that ran a decent 2nd (out of 4 or 5? total entries) on the water to JMK in ASR, during the Western Divisionals at Oroville. Trying to hit the 12 hour drive home asap, I was unable to get the drivers opinion after the heat I had seen. I do know of other SW's in R11, but have not seen them raced this season personally. Based on the 3 SW's I competed against in ASH last season, they are comparable to OMC speeds right out of the box. Keep this thread going and lets collect some real data instead of opinions...

Jeff Conant
      Region 12 Commissioner
      Last edited by AZ Outlaw; 07-20-2010, 10:03 AM.
      sigpic

http://social.apba.org/

Comment

Sidewinder 15s "A"

I have only raced my 15s once so far. Certainly happy with it. I think the speed is off the top OMC's slightly but certainly in the competitive range so far.
        Pretty good conversation starter in the pits too...

I'm not going to be shy about numbers or what i'm doing. feel free to read and join if you have any interest in sidewinders or are a current owner.

http://sidewinder.hyperboards.com/
        Get your motor runnin'
        The Unofficial Sidewinder Racing Outboards Forum

Cheers
        ----
        Graham18ce
        Team Canada ThunderCat
        Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
        Twitter @FralickRacing
        Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

Thanks

Matt, thanks for the update.
          I ran my 15h (B) Sidewinder last weekend at Pell lake. It ran very well and was competitive with the Hotrods at the race.
          Gene Schertz 26V
          TEAM CAFFEINE
          Cranked up and ready to Roll
          Reeds for Speed!

Comment

Question: If I bought a SW 20 today, I can run it for points IN 20SSH after the Nationals this year?

Comment

The SW 20 out in region 10 (Johnson/Peterson) seems to be running better at the last few races. The boat seems to be a huge compliment. CSH boats look too heavy and long. They ran the motor on Jimmy Oberto's old 25 boat and faired a lot better with the other 20's. As a region 10 stock commish i've been watching our motor. But have little other samplings from other regions (besides the cali 15 motors).
              Kyle Bahl
              20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Originally posted by Boatracer4fun View Post
                Question: If I bought a SW 20 today, I can run it for points IN 20SSH after the Nationals this year?
                No, SW is not legal in 20SSH until 2011
                sigpic

http://social.apba.org/

Comment

I want to say thanks to John Runne for letting me take his 20 Sidewinder out on friday, after watching Bobby Austin run at Lock Haven I wanted to go for a ride.I pushed it the whole time,and drove it like I stole it.As Matt said this motor is real close.Thanks again

Comment

Thank You John Runne for letting me test the SW 20 at Wilson. John so sorry I showed you the bottom of your new boat a few times! I thought the motor ran very well and I would love to race it any time. I'm working on some day owning a SW 20 for my new hydro.
                    By the way John, I still have the engine! Sweet!!!!
                    Earl 11 J........ Dangerous when Wet Runne Craft- Earl said, " Driving a Runne Craft is like Cheating". Dude, ........ Where's My Boat!

Comment

15s

Dan ran the SW at the Oroville Divs in ASR and was second to Mike Kelly.
                      Last weekend at Chowchilla Pam ran ASH with the SW, even with Troy Christie (fastest in CA). The best start would win. We will run the SW in ASH and ASR at the Oroville Nats.

Comment

Working...
                      X