Wilmington, NC 1972-ish ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilmington, NC 1972-ish ??

Over on www.screamandfly there is a guy who was a spectator at this race who is asking for help refreshing his memory.

He was only about 12 then, but says the race was on Lake Waccamaw

Anyone remember racing there? Was it a PRO race?

Lake Waccamaw race

yep, there was a combined stock and Pro race at Lake Waccamaw in 1972, this was not the first race there,race was put on buy local shriners as I recall, alot of boats from region 5 as well as region4, Mal Harden and I had a great 350 hydro race, Georgie Andrews was there with his beautiful 500 cc Konig with chrome expansion chambers all 4 of them sliding,also there was Henry Shakeshaft Jr and Henry the 3rd,water was rough mid day but laid down later for a good race,water was really shallow but alot of fun by all

Comment

more L. Waccamaw

I can add a little to this. The race was run by the Shriner's Club and whatever club we were in at that time (this was before CVRA), along with much of my family. My grandfather Hassell Johnson was the Referee (he was almost always Race Inspector), and my Grandmother and Mom assisted with the scoring. I remember distinctly the Judge's Stand because I was allowed to help work the stopwatches (I was eleven then), and I remember how neat it was as a kid to see the operations of a Judge's Stand.

I can't remember much about the races unfortunately, trying hard to do a good job timing. I know my father Randy Johnson cooked his D Alky looper, but was running out front when it blew.

It was a pretty little lake, with some docks and boat ramps. That's about all I can recall now.

Chris Johnson
      111-Z

Comment

Lake Waccamaw

I Am Sure That The Late Rome Litton Was There, He Lived On Lake Waccamaw An Was A NOA An APBA Offical He Also Was A Pro Racer In The 50 To 60`s An A Great Friend.

Comment

Pre 1973 Confirmed

I started racing SO in 1973 and I think I raced at every Region 4 race that year starting with Essex, Maryland. I don't recall Wilmington, NC being on the schedule that year nor it being on the schedule in 1974 because I never raced there and I raced EVERYWHERE in 1974. So 1972 or before I would agree is correct.

Mark Ritchie
          72@E
          Never Say Never Again
          "I survived the 2004 Lock Haven CSR Demolition Derby"

Comment

Lake Waccamaw race

Danny Pigott you are correct, Rome Lytton lived at the Lake, he dis help to get the race there, Randy Johnson did show up with that bad 4 cylinder Merc that the Johnson was famous for and when he cranked it on the shore it almost blew the moss out of the the trees, that engine really had a bellow to it, doug Temple and other stock racers were also there, not quite sure but I believe that Tommy Barrett and some of his onterage were also in attendance

Comment

I'm pretty sure some of the Augustines were there also

Dave
              I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
              The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

I know this is an old post but I saw it while searching for references related to the Guiness World Record holding straight line 10foot Hydro my dad picked up from Henry Shakeshaft back in the late 70's. I had a blast with that boat but my reason for posting here is that I married a girl from Lake Wacccamaw back in '92 and we are still married so they grow them well from there. I remember many years of skiing behind a run-a-bout and standing up in the middle of the lake about a mile out...LOL

Comment

I will look from some photo's from one of these races. I was only 5 or 6 probably. I seem to recall everyone moving trailers from one side of the lake to the other to escape some wind. What a luxury to have!
                  David Weaver

Comment

Working...
                  X