No announcement yet.

Does Everyone Remember Bud Pinto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you do know that is a pinto station wagon. but pray tell me no pinto fans out there

Comment

I was wondering if his real name was Pinto or if they called him that cuz he drove one... haha. Or if he drove one cuz that was his name, haha. Certianly sounds like a great character anyway.
      Fralick Racing
      Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

Bud was one of the very first people I met when I started racing. Yes he was very intimidating until one got to know him. Although he raced agianst my brother Jim, Hank Runne and Dick Reese etc he was the first to come to their aid if needed. One day a boat came in from a heat and had some deck damage. It was that day I learned what a Pinto Patch was. Little did I know he built boats with the same matterial. Now I know why he could build a 75 lbs CSR.
        Safety Rich- Your Safety is my business

Comment

Great memories of Bud...the self professed "nicest guy I ever met." So many of you put it so well. Not a day goes by when I don't think about him.
          First memories of him are the "Where's the Beef?" boats he raced when I flagged Lock Haven (as my dad reffed in 81 and 82). He came up to Taunton, MA in 1985 for the weather-delayed divisionals in September, 10 days after having knee surgery in his Pinto with his C Runabout strapped to the top. It was my second race in JSR and I went up with my dad. He could barely walk but felt he needed points to get national high points. (He fell out of the boat in the first turn(his last race without the side fin), but managed to have enough points to win 2-US anyway-oh how he did not want to lose it to Ernie Dawes). The next season we went with him to the 86 nationals in Wakefield (our first trip together) where he triumphantly and hysterically won the greatest race I've seen-his only national championship. My father, Rich Runne and Craig Dewald deserve some credit...my father and Rich for keeping him from messing with his set up after winning Fastest Qualifier and Craig Dewald for being the #1 advocate for Height Limits...BTW, Rich was the fastest qualifier in A that year using Bud's boat, but we spent the week revamping (and thus screwing up) his ride while leaving Bud's C alone. The trip there in his camper and homemade trailer was filled with adventure too...Bud talked a man named Ed from Spruce Corners in the UP to install a refurbished axle onto his camper in the pouring rain. Ed would not take Bud's money. We also almost lost the trailer... He always busted my dad's balls for "costing him the Hall of Champions" (2-US) by throwing him out for Lane Changing in the Chute at Lock Haven that year.
          When the OMC engine started in J, we took donations of props from dozens of old boat racers Bud tracked down. He built the Wittle Wed Wacer; Wedgie was a copy of that boat with the deck taken from the Neal boat. 1987-1989 were amazing years in my childhood spent traveling the country with my father (Bob M., Sr.,) Bud and others (Bob Mallalieu aka Bob M., Jr. , Scott Pinto) I had great experiences and learned an immense amount about humanity. Bud was honest, passionate and "not afraid of nothing." One of the most amazing people I have ever met...so glad to see all these stories. Bud would be in tears.

Comment

Bud was fantastic . . .

Oh yeah I recall the midnight singing, and one night in Solomons Maryland, Bud and Bob Minton were engaged in a noisy discussion which lasted into the wee hours. And yet, me being an early riser - up with the sun - I could count on Bud being up as well and having a pot of coffee brewing!

At Wakefield - `89 I think - we were pitted next to the Pinto/Minton crew. Casey had the Pinto wedge runabout, and a hydro they had apparently just acquired. Problem - that year J hydros had a new rule about the afterplane length and Casey's new ride was a a tad short. I had West resin, various cutting tools, and handy drywall screws in my trailer and Bud had brainstorm. Where he got the chunk of wood to stretch Casey's hydro to legal length I have no clue, but I swear I heard a nearby Wakefield resident going, "Gladys, what happened to our porch railing?" First rule: do not get in Bud's way when he's on a mission. Bud was cutting, rasping, sanding, gluing, and bangity-bang, job done, one legal J hydro!

Bud loved boat racing, he was always eager to help out, and of course, he was a Character. We miss you, Bud . . .
            carpetbagger

Comment

Bud Pinto Was the Highlite of any race he was at... I do believe he won The Nationals in PA the year after Wakefield. He was Casey Mintons Biggest fan.
              sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

My first meeting of Bud Pinto;

1981 Dayton Nationals, I was a snot nosed 24 year old. Bud was pitted a few boat over from me, I was amazed at how a 30H with so many holes drilled in it and a round chine boat had a laminated chine rather than the carved balsa wood chine could all hold together. It was may first year racing CSR at the Nats. In one of the elim heats I got a great start and was first to the first turn, I set up for the turn and managed to do a flat 360 degree spin out. Half way around I was looking Bud face to face, bow to bow, how we did collide I have no idea, I was all knees and elbows floundering around in a cockpit that was big enough for 3 of us. I managed to get it straitened out and Bud and I were side by side for the next 2 1/2 laps. I barely aced out the win by a few inches. After the heat in inspection I looked over and here comes this big red faced man heading right at me, I'm thinking I'm dead, **** near pissed my pants!!!! He held out his hand, gave me a healthy hand shake and a said " Son, That the best **** driving I've ever seen, you'll go far"

That's what I love about our sport, the memories and friends that we'll have for a lifetime.

Happy New Years

Comment

Scarlet...that was a very moving tribute to Bud Pinto. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but your well constructed and beautifully nuanced piece brought a tear to my eye. Now I feel that I have. Well done.

Comment

Bud Trash Can Pinto

Great things came from the hardware store in Denton,Maryland when on a friday afternoon Bud asked me to give him a ride to the local hardware store where he purchased a rubbermaid green trash can and some gray duct tape and a utility knife and came back to the racesite and becan to carve on the trash can and bingo he had a unforgetable front cowling for his C stock runabout it was truely a special to see that aqua runabout with the green trashcan cowling and the Mark 30 cowled Wizard he told everyone it was a wizard the top and bottom pan looked like a commercial for a drill bit salesman with all the holes he had drilled into it to lighten any extra lbs or half pounds whatever he could get.
                    Sincerly a good guy he was.
                    Tim Lee

Comment

the first time i met budd was at collingswood nj boat race in asr he won and i got second i think it was 1959 or 1958 at inspection he looked at me an called me a little something then he picked up his whole asr an put it on the scales by hinself an i said im running against this animal he was one of a kind bud was a great person had many years of racing with him god rest his soul

Comment

Ok, everyone, thanks for your kind words and thougth on Bud. I have tweeked the essay a little to include some of your thought and ideas. I also put the picture of Bud and the Pinto in it. Now I need one or two more pics. Has anyone got a shot of Bud winning the Nats in 86? Pants down? How about one of hime in suspenders? Or one of Bud sitting around a campfire? Liz Bowman- go through your picture files and help me out here, will ya?

I don't know who would want it, but I may try to get it published somewheree. It tells the story of a real character. One or two more pictures woudl help all of the readers get to know Bud a little better.

Whe it is done, I'll get back to you all here with the final piece.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

What great stories of Bud Pinto! Makes me wish I had known him. Jack

Comment

Bud Pinto

Jack:
                            All you have to do is start drilling holes in you motor, boat, trailer or kart and you will know Bud. I can't drill anythink without thinking of him. I traveled a lot of miles with Bub and I can tell you, nobody every forgets a trip with him.

JHTower

Comment

did they name the Pinto after Bud, or Bud after the Pinto

Comment

There is a picture of Bud at the 74 natinals at Dayton he is on the scales and ir reads 260 pounds

Comment

Working...
                                X