NBRA success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBRA success

Alot of talk has been said lately about shortening the schedules for an APBA race and cutting classes so I just thought I would post some of the principles that the ODA runs our races by and what makes us succesful with a short number of classes.

The ODA costs for putting on a race is anywhere from 2-3K depending on how far from our home base it is, which is Quincy, IL. When I go and sell a race to a community the requirements for the community are as follows: The must have prize money of at least $1,500 for a small local race and at least $2,500 for the bigger races. We also require that the community provide an ambulance for both days, porta pottis, water patrol, and any security that is needed. I sell the race as an event. We will bring in everything else that is needed to put on a race. We tell them it will be a 4 hour program that will be very entertaining. All money recieved from the sponsor is given to the drivers as prize and tow money. We pay all expenses out of the entry fees we generate. We charge $25 for the first class, $20 for the second, and 15 for all the rest. Over the last 10 years we have made a small profit for the club every year. We pay all of our officials to work the judges stand. We pay for the travel and hotel for the referee. Heck we even pay the flag person. All of this with only the possibility of 14 classes. Most of the time we have anywhere from 7-10 classes at our local races. At most of the races we out on we have full fields, especially in the mod 4cyl classes.

It can be done, you can shorten your race days and still survive, we are the prime example.
    Keith Kampen

I have to chime in. Not only is it affordable but fun. Another thing is that the rules are clearly written and understood. You do not have to know the entire the derivation of the rule to understand it. I've raced with NBRA since it's inception and have always totally enjoyed it. It can be done and is being done. Jack

Comment

And the best part is "it works"
      Alan V-25

Comment

You guys have the right idea.
        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

jump on board We d love to have ya
          Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by thetrailergod View Post
            jump on board We d love to have ya
            Would love to if you had something more towards the west. Oklahoma and the mid west are a bit of a drive with the economy the way it is. Plus to get there eats to much vacation time.
            Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Now there's a concept, ie doing things which might entice "race entries".
              Next thing you're gonna tell me is you have actually signed up some new members (AKA more "race entries").........nahhhh. C'mon Keith.... this can't be?

Comment

Nbra

IM thinkin of checkin out a few races yall are having this year! I run Cmod,Dmod, and FEH im pretty sure yall have classes for those? What are the membership fews to sign up? And where do I get the info to do so! NBRA
                sounds better and better every day! Thanks Dustin TOPGUNRACING
                DUSTIN HAMILTON TOP GUN RACING 11-Z
                No Backing Out

Comment

Nbra

Alex we have grown over the last few years and added a few new drivers. The fees for NBRA are $80 for a full year membership and you must join a local club. If you go to www.racenbra.com you can get more details.
                  Keith Kampen

Comment

Nbra

We have classes that will fit your needs C-Mod D Mod & FE. NBRA calls these classes Super Stock D mod is E superstock & FE is Super E or SE. The only real difference we still have weights for the D Mod Run.
                    Art K

Comment

Wow

Does anyone see what I see ? What a lot of people always say needs to be done in APBA......... In fact there is a thread going right now about stock and how long the program is.....

In the past there was talk about combining categories of Mod and stock in APBA. Now this one is gonna shock you all. I am in favor of it. We race the same engines, we just simply tweak the Mod engines. The one thing I disagree with is the huge rulebook in APBA. And I will never agree to a combination of catgories if the rule book is so huge and hard to interpret. You should not have to interpret a rule book, it shoud be clear and mean what it says. Just like Jack Stotts said.

So here you go. NBRA has combined categories of Mod and stock. They race for prize money and tow money. The trophies are nice too. The rule book leaves little if any gray area, and it is working. They obtain prize money, and get the races paid for. The sell it as an event, in a package. They have a package to sell. APBA does not. Until they get that package, they never will sell it. They do okay at a few events, but the majority they won't. When was the last time you received prize money from an APBA race and tow money ? Ever had a good chunk of your fuel costs paid for ? Tow money is GREAT for that.

Sorry, just wanted to chime in and recognize the design of success.
                      Dave Mason
                      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

What is the cost of Insurance (to the club) for an NBRA event?

What type of coverage does it provide to participants? Spectators?

Thx.

Comment

Yes, other sanctioning organizations have less expensive insurance than APBA. The coverage is less too.

Why doesnt APBA offer two different options?

A low cost, low coverage option for races that have few to no spectators, which makes a racers medical insurance primary, and the officials dont care or allready have liability coverage.

And a premium offering for the big races, with lots of spectators, better medical coverage for participants and liability coverage for officials included?

Just an idea......

Sorry to semi-hijack your thread Kieth, congrats on the success of NBRA and keep it up. I like what you guys are doing.

BW
                          302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

prize money tow money

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
                            Does anyone see what I see ? What a lot of people always say needs to be done in APBA......... In fact there is a thread going right now about stock and how long the program is.....

In the past there was talk about combining categories of Mod and stock in APBA. Now this one is gonna shock you all. I am in favor of it. We race the same engines, we just simply tweak the Mod engines. The one thing I disagree with is the huge rulebook in APBA. And I will never agree to a combination of catgories if the rule book is so huge and hard to interpret. You should not have to interpret a rule book, it shoud be clear and mean what it says. Just like Jack Stotts said.

So here you go. NBRA has combined categories of Mod and stock. They race for prize money and tow money. The trophies are nice too. The rule book leaves little if any gray area, and it is working. They obtain prize money, and get the races paid for. The sell it as an event, in a package. They have a package to sell. APBA does not. Until they get that package, they never will sell it. They do okay at a few events, but the majority they won't. When was the last time you received prize money from an APBA race and tow money ? Ever had a good chunk of your fuel costs paid for ? Tow money is GREAT for that.

Sorry, just wanted to chime in and recognize the design of success.
                            Dave,
                            Your right for sure... I seen you go away as I have also... Thats why i started racing OPC.. There is prize money , Tow money, And local sponsorship money... and i can wear the same socks all weekend... Its a show... The events are run thru the APBA. and it takes a good 5 or 6 hours to run a OPC race.. But we run 10 to 50 laps depending on what class with a final on sunday..
                            I dont have to sit in a patrol watching the same guys run the same engine in 3 or 4 different classes.. Then when it comes to the mod classes there out of time and we end up with 1 heat racing .. Which would always make me mad after driving 6 hours or more to support their race and only get one heat out of it.. I.O.A. Always did a great job and i always got my heats i payed for..

I dont think the problem lies in the APBA as it does with the local clubs that put the races on.. The opc clubs sell the races as a event.. APR, PTT , F1Prop, secure the money and find the sponsorship As does the Inboard clubs... All i have to do is show up with my boat.. The professionalism gleams all over the pits .. And the rule book Its just a suggestion book in my eyes... Way to much interpretation...

If stock outboard clubs put as much time selling them selfs as the do on the height of a engine .. And getting rid of the so many classes with the same engine.. I never got it.. when i started racing mod in 1999 You could go to a race and watch the same 15 cu" omc race half a dozen times.. And its a J motor For kids.. Not adults... A class, Formula A ,AXS, Kpro, x2 for the runabouts. im sure there is a couple i missed.. Its boring as a spectator and they dont get why there watching the same engine for 4 hour race..

Dont get me wrong i miss racing mod... I may have a come back next season...

Mike

Comment

Insurance

Originally posted by dholt View Post
                              What is the cost of Insurance (to the club) for an NBRA event?

What type of coverage does it provide to participants? Spectators?

Thx.
                              Dana,

You will need to PM Keith or an NBRA officer for that info. Jeff Ruth is the president of NBRA currently. He is on this website, his handle is thetrailergod I believe. He has some stuff listed in the classifieds.

I don't have the specifics. I think Keith mentioned in a previous post it cost right around $2600.00. I might be way off, I honestly don't know. I do know it is through K&K, same as APBA.
                              Dave Mason
                              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
                              X