Laydown experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laydown experts

I will soon be setting up the cockpit area for my new laydown and I know you all lay on a wedge. I have never really paid attention to the details. What I need to know is what are the dimension for the wedge. Height, width, and length. Also about how far back from the steering wheel should it be located.

Thanks
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
    I will soon be setting up the cockpit area for my new laydown and I know you all lay on a wedge. I have never really paid attention to the details. What I need to know is what are the dimension for the wedge. Height, width, and length. Also about how far back from the steering wheel should it be located.

Thanks

This becomes a lot of personal preference, driver size, and where the cg is in the boat. But since you built the boat off of MJR plans, I'm assuming you put the dash where he told you. So if you started with the wheel centered on that board you should be close on your cg when laying in the boat.

My ramp is probably 5" wide, maybe 5" tall in the front and maybe 18-20" long and tapers back to nothing. Start with that size, then put your suit on and lay in the boat and see if your too low/high in the cockpit, and/or if you can see well, and most importantly feel comfortable. Then you can trim to size from there.

Hope this helps
    Sattler Racing R-15
    350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
    TEAM VRP
    The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

My personal experience in a CSH laydown depended, again on c of g and personal comfort. You can pm me for my opinion on your boat, otherwise it doesn't matter because each rig needs to be designed around the driver and the class. But any designer will tell you that.
      Spencer Utman #16CE

Comment

Not being an expert in laydown boats or anything but you got to be comfortable. But my gosh Mike were are you gonna put your feet hangen out the transom??????? Dave over and out
        Dave over and out!!

Comment

Originally posted by E-MOTION View Post
          were are you gonna put your feet hangen out the transom???????
          Don't laugh, I've seen guys run like that before...
          Sattler Racing R-15
          350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
          TEAM VRP

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Closed Cell Foam

YOu might consider using blocks of closed cell foam that can be adjusted (trimmed) to suit your preferences. Remember to wear your safety gear when trying to figure out the right "fit".
            David Weaver

Comment

Should wife stand by with a shoe horn, grease, winch or block and tackle? It is winter in Montana you know! (Love you dear!):

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

Originally posted by pro350hydro View Post
                and/or if you can see well,
                Hope this helps
                Bwaahaahaa, see well, now that's funny

Fit the ramp to to you, in my case, I extended the ramp further back so that it supports my lower back (for obvious reasons). An additional piece of safety gear you might think about is an additional pad for your, um, junk. An old knee pad in my shorts seems to keep everything in place and nothing has been mashed since I made these "adjustments".
                I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
                The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions. At least I now have a starting point. If my feet hang out will that be called " hanging ten". It seems like I have heard reference to protecting the "Junk" before and I will address that to.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_E71 View Post
                    Bwaahaahaa, see well, now that's funny

Fit the ramp to to you, in my case, I extended the ramp further back so that it supports my lower back (for obvious reasons). An additional piece of safety gear you might think about is an additional pad for your, um, junk. An old knee pad in my shorts seems to keep everything in place and nothing has been mashed since I made these "adjustments".
                    Must have been a child size knee pad.
                    Brian 10s

Comment

Your Junk

Height and width are up to your personal preference. As Mike said, if you put the wheel where Marc indicates, you we will be balanced.

I am far from an expert on lay down hulls, I have a couple that perform pretty well, one was Marc's design and one is my design.

For my own personal comfort my ramp is around 6" - 7" tall at the front, and around 3" - 4" tall in the rear. The ramps tapers a little and ends just before it reaches my, umm junk. This allows space for your baby maker. Your knees and some of your upper leg is the next point of contact with the floor of the boat. This is just my personal preference.

if you really want to be a bad ass, put a boat cusion in it and hold yourself up, I think I seen Dan Kirts do that a time or two.

Another tip, don't mount your steering wheel hub yet. Position it and clamp it, then get in the boat with various piece of wood for height adjustments, the top board will be a finish piece, or a pattern board. Play with a couple different heights on the front and back, and move the steering wheel fore and aft on the dash and get comfy. mark it and you are all set. You will most likley want to be a little further up on the wheel than you think for leverage.

Don't forget the truckers knob on the steering wheel !
                      Dave Mason
                      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by pro350hydro View Post
                        Don't laugh, I've seen guys run like that before...
                        hey hey...........some of us are not 5'1" tall like you!!!!!!
                        Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

hey hey...........some of us are not 5'1" tall like you!!!!!!

ouch!!!
                          i bet you'll never find mike trying to cut weight like some of us.

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
                            some of us are not 5'1" tall like you!!!!!!

Hey man, I'm 5'6" even on a bad day. Maybe you should pick on someone your own size....LOL
                            Sattler Racing R-15
                            350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                            TEAM VRP

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Sometimes I think these classes were all designed for "Horse Jockeys".

Comment

Working...
                              X