Sidewinder timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidewinder timeline

After reading the stock Outboard chairmen thread on hydroracer I noted a number of inaccurate statements regarding the Sidewinder project.

Listed below is an accurate time line.

1. Racing Outboards LLC purchased Hot Rod from Tom Moulder in the winter of 2003/2004.

2. Went forward with the attempt to manufacture the rotor valve Hot Rod for the remainder of 2004.

3. Presented a new 15 cu. in. rotary valve Hot Rod at the Winter Nationals in Ocoee FL. in 2005. The engine had a new beefed up crankcase casting a new crankshaft and the OMC style ignition.

4. During 2005 we developed a new block for the Hot Rod and pursued a vendor to manufacture the rotary valve crankshaft we also manufactured connecting rods and cylinder heads for the engine.

5. After many unsuccessful attempts to find a vendor to manufacture the crankshaft we determined that the best course of action would be a new powerhead design that would be easier to manufacture, operate, and service.

6. Racing Outboards presented the reed valve version of the Hot Rod (the Sidewinder) to the commission at the 2006 National Meeting.

7. The Sidewinder powerhead was designed and prototype parts were produced for testing.

8. The first Sidewinder was tested at Loch Haven in September 2006. (3 Years ago not 7)

9. The remainder of 2006/2007 was spent finalizing the design, having patterns and castings made, and building the tooling necessary to machine the parts.

10. A preproduction engine was tested during the spring and summer of 2007, and raced at Millville, NJ. towards the end of the 2007 racing season.

11. Production 15 cu. In. engines were on display at the 2008 National Meeting in Detroit MI.

12. 2008-Racing Outboards sold 2 Sidewinder “B” engines and continued testing to improve performance.

13. During the winter of 2008/2009 we worked on the development of the “A” engine and introduced the engine at the 2909 Winter Nationals. At this time we have 5 “A” engines in the field and they are competitive with the OMC engines in the class.

14. During the 2009 season we continued tuning the 15 cu. in. “B” engines and completed the design and testing on the 20 cu. in. engine

15. The production 20 cu. in. was raced at Loch Haven and New Hampshire in the 25 runabout class, the engine is competitive with existing engines in the class.

If there any questions regarding this information do not hesitate to contact me.

Ed Runne

973-713-3941

sled7j@earthlink.net
    John Runne
    2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

How many motors have been sold year to date? What is the price of the motor? I know you can use your current A or B gearcase so what would be the price if you bought one this way? Thanks Ed for the info I am sure all the members appreciate the update. Updates and current info is what is going to sell these motor's faster. Maybe get Nate Forshey to help you design a site block on Hydroracer for anyone who is interested to view and look at all the sidewinder has to offer. Some of the videos of it running this last year to get the juices flowing. The SORC could help subsidize this venture seeing it is 100% behind this venture. The SORC and APBA made the new Mercury purchases happen. Just some of my thoughts. Mikey
    mike ross

Comment

never mind....I changed my mind.
      Last edited by topomichracer140m; 10-01-2009, 08:00 AM. Reason: time..and the waste of it.

Comment

Top O- We all know stock hasn't been STOCK, according to your definition, in a LONG time. Yes we've had some classes with stock availability over the decades, but the entire category hasn't been stock in many, many years.

If you need a STOCK ride, try one of those V bottom Euro boats that you sit down in.

If you weigh as much as I think you weigh, YOU will LOVE the 20ci SIDEWINDER!!!
        sigpic

Comment

I thought I dumped my thread before anyone got a chance too read it. But your dead wrong....I do NOT and WILL not ever like a sidewinder.....EVER!!

Comment

I for one believe that the Sidewinder engines are a good thing! A lot of time effort and money have gone into developing these engines. From what I have seen, it looks like these engines will be easier to use and more "user friendly" than the old Hot Rod designed engines. Perhaps they will become the Yamato engines of the future....
            My son wants one right away! What he doesn't seem to understand is that with the economy the way it is (and everything that we need to buy for next years racing), a Sidewinder will have to wait until next summer for us!

Comment

There used to be an ad and link on the front page of Hydroracer to Racing Outboards LLC
              Where did it go?
              Mike, the price of the motor is $4500. for an "A" or "15", the "B" is $4600. These prices have been well known for two years. I'm not sure of the price of a gearfoot.
              To date, there have been five "A"s, three "15"s, and one "B". Most have been competing all year with very good results. I'd like to hear from some of the owners or drivers that have run them to see what they think. I also believe it is time for the commission to approve the "A" & "B" for legal competition for next racing season. It is very difficult to sell motors that are probationary.
              John Runne
              2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

[QUOTE=csh2z;142111]There used to be an ad and link on the front page of Hydroracer to Racing Outboards LLC
                Where did it go?

We did not remove it but I am sure if the ad did not get paid for or renewed than it went bye-bye. We would love to hear from them and get something going. The only ad I know of is thru Portage Bay Systems and Steve Graves.
                Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Here is the official Sidewinder website.

http://www.racingoutboards.com/

Comment

Originally posted by csh2z View Post
                    There used to be an ad and link on the front page of Hydroracer to Racing Outboards LLC
                    Where did it go?
                    Mike, the price of the motor is $4500. for an "A" or "15", the "B" is $4600. These prices have been well known for two years. I'm not sure of the price of a gearfoot.
                    To date, there have been five "A"s, three "15"s, and one "B". Most have been competing all year with very good results. I'd like to hear from some of the owners or drivers that have run them to see what they think. I also believe it is time for the commission to approve the "A" & "B" for legal competition for next racing season. It is very difficult to sell motors that are probationary.
                    I took it down months before I sold the site along with many other courtesy banners. If the owners of the business had not be in touch with me for a year or more with any type of payment I felt no need to promote their products. As a side note John I stop running the site as fun toy years ago its was all about business the last few years I'm sure you understand.
                    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

here we go again

My opinion doesn't amount to a hill of beans and I have made ita point to say less and listen more here on HR but I wonder how many of the naysayers concerning the Sidewinder know how lucky we are that these gentlemen like Ed and the rest of the people surrounding the sidewinder project are willing to spend there time on this project and work so tirelessly at it, And what it means for the sport as a whole. It's not like there is crazy huge prize money to be had like some other sports. These folks could just as easily be making 5000 dollar sets of golf clubs and selling them, after all golfers out number boat racers about 5000 to 1. There are many people on both sides of the fence on the whole subject, I think that no matter what your viewpoint is on it respect is due to the sidewinder camp. I had said before that I thought is was a little pricey, But some places the cost of living is much higher than other places were I live you can buy a nice house for 100k or so, the same house in Palo alto california, or Boulder Co. is more like 600k. So it's not surprizing that some folks get a little sticker shock. Some places 4500 is crazy money, and some places it's peanuts, pocket change. Me Personally...I cant wait to put an expantion chamber on one and run it in bmh.
                      Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
                        My opinion doesn't amount to a hill of beans and I have made ita point to say less and listen more here on HR but I wonder how many of the naysayers concerning the Sidewinder know how lucky we are that these gentlemen like Ed and the rest of the people surrounding the sidewinder project are willing to spend there time on this project and work so tirelessly at it, And what it means for the sport as a whole. It's not like there is crazy huge prize money to be had like some other sports. These folks could just as easily be making 5000 dollar sets of golf clubs and selling them, after all golfers out number boat racers about 5000 to 1. There are many people on both sides of the fence on the whole subject, I think that no matter what your viewpoint is on it respect is due to the sidewinder camp. I had said before that I thought is was a little pricey, But some places the cost of living is much higher than other places were I live you can buy a nice house for 100k or so, the same house in Palo alto california, or Boulder Co. is more like 600k. So it's not surprizing that some folks get a little sticker shock. Some places 4500 is crazy money, and some places it's peanuts, pocket change. Me Personally...I cant wait to put an expantion chamber on one and run it in bmh.
                        Sticker shock? LOL i priced a new chevy 1 ton 4 wd diesel a several years ago when it looked like i might need something that big. NOW that Was sticker shock!!! it cost more than buying my house, moving my house, new well , new septic and new basement combined. I admit the actual house was cheap. as it had to come down or go away from where it was.

But yes sonny those are good points

"The Coffee Guy"
                        TEAM CAFFEINE
                        Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                        " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

I see alot of people very free and easy with advice on how Racing Outboards LLC should run their business.

The term business is used very loosely in this case, charity is probably a better term. Any serious analysis of the Racing Outboards LLC business model is a laughable exercise in how to throw money away.

I am not a spokesperson for Sidewinder, but do believe what they are doing is a significant piece of the future of Stock Outboard. They are clearly still in the development phase of bringing their outboards to the marketplace.

As far as long term advertising goes, I would expect little more than a brochure style website and possibly a banner link on key websites after they are through with the development phase. A case could be made that their marketing campaign is a viral model as they have made significant effort to record and post videos on YouTube.

Advertising 101:

You advertise when people dont know about your product or service. Everyone in Stock Outboard knows about Sidewinder.

You advertise when conditions are right for your product or service to sell well. Nobody has expectations for Sidewinder to "take over" Stock Outboard. It is a slow growth model. I am sure current economic conditions have reduced sales expectations.

Phase 2

I think it is time to get a little bit more realistic about what Sidewinder is and what it is trying to do. We allready tried to "instantly integrate" a new motor when the OMC was legislated in overnight and KG-4's and Mk-15's disapeared. This had a devastating effect on the membership that has never been recovered.

Sidewinder, working closely with the Stock Outboard Racing Commission is trying to integrate a motor into APBA as smoothly as possible. This is clearly going to take time. A little patience on the part of the membership would be nice too.

gl Sidewinder,

Brad Walker
                          Last edited by B Walker; 10-02-2009, 05:59 AM.
                          302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Brad- Love it Bro!!! Well said. I was just out helping Sled get ready for his Step-son-in-laws wedding and then proceeded to help him put up lights in his office/Sidewinder assembly room in his shop. So keep talking about the Sidewinder and how much you don't understand how they are doing things. OR you can call Sled and ask him how you can help and he can hand you off to me and I will schedule you in to the "Help Sidewinder/Outboard Racing program." <<<<<<That is a Joke!!!

But Seriously, if you want to see something different, than call and help out!
                            sigpic

Comment

I must be out of the loop. I and many others DO NOT have info on the Sidewinder. Can a online Brochure with exact cost ., gear foot info how it makes a three class motor. We may be buyers in a year or two . But DO NOT have info . Regards Team Casual Michael 51-M

Comment

Working...
                              X