Restricting a 102 / 302 for 20SSH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restricting a 102 / 302 for 20SSH

I tried restricting my strong 102 to run in 20SSH. Tried 4 clicks lean / 4 clicks rich. Finally just reached around and started spinning the needle valve back and forth until I could at least plane off. But it sounded terrible. Sounded fat. (Maybe need to change oil / fuel ratio?) Played quickly with a test wheel but never really accomplished anything.

Is it possible to make this work? Or was it one of those attempts at paridy that looked good on paper, but is tough to make work "in the real world?"

Not looking for secrets, just a place to start.

Thanks,

ChicagoPaul

Originally posted by chicagopaul View Post
    I tried restricting my strong 102 to run in 20SSH. Tried 4 clicks lean / 4 clicks rich. Finally just reached around and started spinning the needle valve back and forth until I could at least plane off. But it sounded terrible. Sounded fat. (Maybe need to change oil / fuel ratio?) Played quickly with a test wheel but never really accomplished anything.

Is it possible to make this work? Or was it one of those attempts at paridy that looked good on paper, but is tough to make work "in the real world?"

Not looking for secrets, just a place to start.

Thanks,

ChicagoPaul

Paul-

When we ran mine at Whitney Point in '08 we ran it 1/4+ fat. Need a wheel that will spin up as well. I can tell you with my "fat a**" in it 55lbs over 20 weight we were within 1.5mph of a top notch 80 motor. I suspect it would have been in the ball park on weight. Lags in acceleration. I think the 302 is better suited for this, there are a few guys that have proven that it works.
    Last edited by 14J; 09-26-2009, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Forget doing this with a 102. While the 102 still remains the motor of choice in CSH because the wonderful members of the SORC have never done anything to advance the 302 to be the available, motor of choice for CSH, the 302 is better suited to run restricted in 20SSH. It is happier at lower rpms so the restrictor plate doesn't inhibit it as much as with the 102. But the restricted 302 is still more complex than meets the eye of the casual observer. It can run fast but lacks on acceleration. Acceleration does improve when you throw out the extra weight a CSH needs and jack it up another 1/4 inch (and don't tell me the 302 can't run any higher than 3/4 inch) but a good 80 still has an advantage on acceleration.

I enjoyed watching Mike Perman run his restricted 302 and seeing how large he made his corners. I figured he was doing this either because he was really fast and was running that much more distance just so he wouldn't show up the 80's so bad or that he had to run corners like that just to keep his speed up so he didn't fall into the poor acceleration range again. I think the later is more likely. My conclusion from this is that you need to have a boat that is very free in the corners so it doesn't load the motor down and you might want to pick and choose the race course to find large corners.

And then you still have to figure out the propeller and carburetor. And have a race schedule that allows time for the changes if you're doing this all on one boat.

We have played with this a couple of times and found out that there was more to know than we had the time to spend learning then. The NW guys have spent the time and seem to have it figured out best but Donnie Allen still killed everyone with his 80 this season. Will be interesting to hear how things went at Yelm as he battles them again head-to-head this weekend.

Comment

This is of great help guys. I appreciate it. Propellor choice makes a lot of sense here. I usually run deep to, so I'll think about that. I am going to order a few props this winter, so this information is timely. Also been thinking hard about a 302. I'm so tired of these **** points on the 102

Thanks!
        ChicagoPaul

Comment

I meant 25ssr will it be run at jessup.
          William Haddock
          111-F

Comment

Both my Brother and I will be making the trip to Jessup, and plan to run CSR/25SSR..so thats makes 3...side note at Big Rapids 25SSR was one of the 5 largest classes..I think 8 boats..
            Roger A 68M
            Team Casual

Comment

where can i get a restrictor plate for my 102 quick so i can get set up for 25 SSR at jessup? Also what is the min. weight limit?
              William Haddock
              111-F

Comment

Originally posted by V-racer View Post
                where can i get a restrictor plate for my 102 quick so i can get set up for 25 SSR at jessup? Also what is the min. weight limit?
                I got my restrictors from Ric Montoya

http://yamatoracing.net/
                Sean Byrne

Comment

Working...
                X