AX question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AX question

Looking at the AX merc for my son.Is their a max age for the class and do any adults run the AX class?Just wondering if i buy a merc J/A engine if we would be able to race for years to come with it without having to buy a new A engine when he gets a certain age.He is 11 now.Thanks
    Bob

J has an age limit, ASX does not have an age limit.
    If George Stillwell can run ASX he must be young at heart!
    Gene Schertz 26V
    TEAM CAFFEINE
    Cranked up and ready to Roll
    Reeds for Speed!

Comment

The only problem with the Merc J/"A" is that he cannot jump up to A from AX with the same motor, the Merc is no longer legal in A but a great motor for AX.
      Elek Hutchinson
      36M

Comment

IF you are looking for a J motor. After I saw the new add in the propeller. It seems the new one I have of the APBA's is now the lowest costing NEW one around. At $2495.00 it will be at PP. this weekend.
        Or you can always find the right fishing motor and install the conversion kit. 500.oo from Brown.

"The Coffee Guy"
        TEAM CAFFEINE
        Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
        " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

do not forget the lower unit which is separate and at least one thousand dollars and you will want to have it worked on because it is too tight and too fat...Doc

Comment

Also

Don't forget to send the powerhead to George Stillwell, he knows how to make them competitive. A bone stock one will probably not be very competitive in the top 5.

I think someone mentioned it, but AXS and J are the only two classes you can race this engine. if he wants to move up a class you will need to purchase a sidewinder. I think these are around $5k - 6K and they are working hard at it to make it out of the box competitive at that price.
            Dave Mason
            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Thanks for your input guys.I got him a complete j hydro a few years ago with hopes that he would want to race.Back then he said that he didnt want to race so i ended up selling the omc because i was to heavy for A and i kept the boat and re did the transom for my KG4.Now he is 11 really wants to get into it and i dont know what to do for an engine.He has no time in a boat and i would let him try the hydro with the Kg4 but i think its too fast for him because he has no seat time at all.I am going to get down to A weight for my self so i can run A next year but i wanted to be able to do it with one engine where he could run J and i could pull the plate and run A.I wish i would have kept the omc.Any suggestions?Thanks
              Bob

Comment

Let Him Test it

Get your kid in your KG4 rig, don't hesitate. Do it when he shows interest, not the next summer. Give him a taste, and let him want it all winter long.

Here is a suggestion to keep it safer for him. Bury the engine about an inch lower than you are running it now. Put a punch prop on. You should shave at least 5 - 10MPH from your top end. Current AXSH speeds are around 50MPH. One other thing you could do is set the throttle so it does not open up all the way....

Lots of ways to test with what you have, just do it !

Remember, duck season open up in your area in a couple weeks. Try to get your testing done before that if you have a test spot that hunters might use. I know Alpena on opening day is packed with hunters, especially on Fletchers Pond.
                Dave Mason
                Just A Boat Racer

Comment

OMC is still an option. Ron Hill just had one on EBAY for $1350 and I think he may have another as well. It may not be the "motor of choice" but will get you both on the water for minimal cost.
                  444-B now 4-F
                  Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Thanks guys i will get him in the KG hydro to give him a taste of it.I will set it up so it will run close to J speeds and he can learn the basics of how to drive a hydro.Mabey i will look into another omc we can always run in the mod catagory when the omc is phased out of stock racing.He could also run K pro when he gets of age also.He would be doing 90 percent of the racing and i would run it once in a while.For my self i would like to see the classic division take off thats what im hoping for.Thanks guys for all your imput,I really appreciate it.
                    Bob

Comment

I have a Merc. in excellent condition. One race after fresh blueprint. This was Charlie's best motor. It has not been used in two years. Our other Merc finished 4th at topo this year running in class A against OMC's. I will sell it for $2200 with a J restrictor and prop. I live in Petoskey and will be in Big Rapids this weekend. My phone # is 231-838-3450

Comment

Working...
                      X