Let's Talk Tow Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Talk Tow Money

Ok guys & gals, Tell me about tow money! How do you think it is best dispersed at a race.

Give everyone a little, divide it evenly and give it to however many teams that comes out to based on mileage traveled.

What has been your experience with tow money and how do you think it works the best.

Do you think that it attracts racers to a specific site if it is available.

What is a reasonable amount for tow money?

While we are at it let's talk about Dash for Cash as well. Likes and dislikes?

Thoughts and Ideas

Teresa

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Talk to the US Title Series, they pay tow money and could explain to you how they determine things.

Dash for Cash...I thought back along the way this was a no no with the insurance. But I could be wrong...
    Sattler Racing R-15
    350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
    TEAM VRP
    The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

This might help shed a little light on the topic

A 21-year boat racing veteran, Barfield has 19 national championships under his belt. Sunday he competed in five of the six different classes. Each class runs two heats, which consists of three laps each. The points from each heat are added together to get the class winner.

For prize money, race officials had $2,000 to split between the winners, as well as provide all the racers will a little tow money to help cover gas costs.

That means race winners received about $75 and points towards the Northern Short Course Nationals Sept. 19-20 in Shelbyville, Ill., said race official Cindy Goehl.

At the national event a total of $4,500 will be awarded in prizes and tow money.

Given that a racing boat costs about $10,000, such small prizes likely aren't what draws competitors to the events.

Instead it's the challenge of getting the most out of the equipment, adrenaline and friendships, said Kevin McAfee of Columbia, Mo.

<a href="http://www.thehawkeye.com/Story/dallas-072009">Read more</a>
      HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

My team constructed the format used by USTS to apportion tow monies. Send me an email & phone number and we can write/discuss the pros and cons of our method. My email is pgrysk@aol.com

Comment

Sam & Sherron Winer run the APR Superleague Series for tunnel boats and have had a very successful tow money program(s) in place for many years they may be able to help you as well.
          444-B now 4-F
          Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Good questions Teresa.
            I studied these concepts for years trying to see what we could do to get more people to the AOF races. The answers are actually pretty complex.
            First of all, the racers themselves don't really care about the prize money. (Usually not enough of it to make that much of a paycheck). If they are a points chaser, then they care about the points. Adding an extra sanction on a weekend will bring them out.
            If they are a racer head, then it is simply man against machine. They love working and tinkering and conquering the "engine" and the "speed". After all, humans should be able to do that. I guess you could say it is the thrill of victory.
            If the racer is an egotist or simply a HAM, then it is the attention they get that brings them to the sport and the races. It is kind of neat when someone asks for their autograph, they get their picture in the local paper, or they find a local who spends the week end with them, creating a fan, and maybe even a new racer.
            Having said all of the above, it is nice to get paid a little. The problem comes with how you pay. Ever notice that you get a lot of repeat winners race after race, year after year? I'm not putting down winners as apparently they spent the time and money to get there.
            But, lets not forget the guy who comes in 4th or 5th consistently. Maybe he isn't trying as hard, maybe he doesn't have the knowledge or money, or even the guts to go faster, or maybe he just likes to race for the race of it.
            So, if you give out the money per winner, then the same guy is gonna go home with not only the points, but the money. And no matter what the loser says, that gets old and people (the losers) start losing interest.
            Paying tow money, in my opinion, has always brought in more racers. If a racer is on the fence about attending a race, it can put them over the fence. And everyone goes home with something.
            Better yet, I have found, is to pay APPRECIATION money. If you get a sponsor, just pay racers to show. Divide it up evenly between all who came to support the race. I have tried the free entry thing, but for some reason, racers preferred the appreciation money more. (Math would be the same, but most boat racers never figured that out). It is that when they get that cash at the end of the day, it just makes them glad they came. Especially the guy who comes in 4th or 5th. After all, he/she still contributed to the show.
            I guess I think it boils down to customer relations. Pretty simple really. Not so complex after all.

Comment

My thoughts on Dash for Cash,
              The boat racers love the Dash for Cash. Unfortunately, I don't.
              Have you ever noticed how many accidents we have during Dash for Cash races? It it like letting a lot of starving lions out after one rabbit. They are going to eat each other up tryng to get the rabbit.
              I like boat races that are safe. And that is simply my mothering opinion.
              Connie Payn

Comment

I started racing as a teenager in 1956 and raced until 1991. Quit and started again in 2007. In all those years and still today, prize money and/or tow money have never been a factor in deciding whether I'm going to go to a race or not.

That said, it is always nice to get a financial bonus.

Comment

Interesting opinions and comments here. I was just looking for thoughts and ideas, pro and con. I have never been to a race where tow money was handed out, or seen a dash for cash. I have just heard about them.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeRacing View Post
                    Good questions Teresa.
                    I studied these concepts for years trying to see what we could do to get more people to the AOF races. The answers are actually pretty complex.
                    First of all, the racers themselves don't really care about the prize money. (Usually not enough of it to make that much of a paycheck). If they are a points chaser, then they care about the points. Adding an extra sanction on a weekend will bring them out.
                    If they are a racer head, then it is simply man against machine. They love working and tinkering and conquering the "engine" and the "speed". After all, humans should be able to do that. I guess you could say it is the thrill of victory.
                    If the racer is an egotist or simply a HAM, then it is the attention they get that brings them to the sport and the races. It is kind of neat when someone asks for their autograph, they get their picture in the local paper, or they find a local who spends the week end with them, creating a fan, and maybe even a new racer.
                    Having said all of the above, it is nice to get paid a little. The problem comes with how you pay. Ever notice that you get a lot of repeat winners race after race, year after year? I'm not putting down winners as apparently they spent the time and money to get there.
                    But, lets not forget the guy who comes in 4th or 5th consistently. Maybe he isn't trying as hard, maybe he doesn't have the knowledge or money, or even the guts to go faster, or maybe he just likes to race for the race of it.
                    So, if you give out the money per winner, then the same guy is gonna go home with not only the points, but the money. And no matter what the loser says, that gets old and people (the losers) start losing interest.
                    Paying tow money, in my opinion, has always brought in more racers. If a racer is on the fence about attending a race, it can put them over the fence. And everyone goes home with something.
                    Better yet, I have found, is to pay APPRECIATION money. If you get a sponsor, just pay racers to show. Divide it up evenly between all who came to support the race. I have tried the free entry thing, but for some reason, racers preferred the appreciation money more. (Math would be the same, but most boat racers never figured that out). It is that when they get that cash at the end of the day, it just makes them glad they came. Especially the guy who comes in 4th or 5th. After all, he/she still contributed to the show.
                    I guess I think it boils down to customer relations. Pretty simple really. Not so complex after all.
                    I have to side with Connie on her summary, die hard racers will show up regardless its not about the money never has been never will be.

As someone noted a few months back drivers are looking for "quality" races more then anything else.

* Clean level pits
                    * A town that truly wants them
                    * Good clean water
                    * Friday night drivers party with a live band
                    * Saturday night drivers dinner
                    * Food concession stands
                    * Play area for the kids and toddlers
                    * Trophy's
                    * Fresh hot coffee stand ** Kevs

This is what pulls in family's
                    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs blueskyracer View Post
                      Interesting opinions and comments here. I was just looking for thoughts and ideas, pro and con. I have never been to a race where tow money was handed out, or seen a dash for cash. I have just heard about them.
                      I think Ryan Runne made a quote a few months back where he said "what is tow money" I think that sums it up best
                      HTML Code:

Comment

Well Lets Face It, Most Racers Are Going To Go To The Races That Are With In A Reasonable Driving Distance. Simply Because Of Time Off From Work. It's Not Always The Money, But Smaller Entry Fee Would Be Nice For Me. Over $100 For 2 Day Weekend Is Hard, But Is Not Going To Keep Me From Racing. Paying Off The Same Winner Can't Be Good For The Sport. What We Need Is More People Racing In The Local Area. You Need To Get More Spectators Or Future Racers To Watch The Race. In Regon 1, 4 Out Of 6 Races Are In Towns With Minimum Population. Try To Have The Races Where The People Are. Hopefully The One In Haverhill Ma. And Middletown Ct. Will Bring Some New People To The Sport If Thay Are Promoted Well. Tv, Radio, Flyers And Such.

Comment

tow money

Hi Teresa,

Marine Racing Club of Illinois has tried several different ways to reward those who show up to our sponsored races. we have tried the following:

1) reduced entry fees
                          2) pay for first 2 classes and 3rd on up are free (per day)
                          3) prize money on sliding scale based on number of entries
                          4) tow money based on a minimum distance traveled one way
                          5) special awards
                          6) pay a little $ for jobs that are normally volunteer - ie judge's stand help etc.
                          7) club sponsored potluck dinners

Like stated in the above posts, ultimately the best draw is a good race site. Good water, course, pits etc. In our area at least, there are enough races that drivers can be picky. People will show up the first year to a new site, but if it is not good, all the prize money in the world won't get them back the next year.

As far as tow money goes what we have done is set a minumum distance one way and require those who want tow money to register at least a week in advance so we can verify the distance. This turns out to be a pain as you end up with people not registering and still asking for $, or you get people who are just under the minimun stated distance asking for $ too. Our intention with the tow money was to reward our regulars who live pretty far away from all of the events and yet come to all of them anyways and to maybe entice a few who might be on the fence for financial reasons. Recently we have been offering $50 per trailer. Does not sound like much and myabe it is'nt but you get more than a handful of trailers you are paying and it starts to add up.

Lately I've been rethinking our tow $ policy. Rewarding those who drive the farthest is nice and we like doing it, but those in the club who live kind of close end up doing the vast majority of the work and usually end up having to go to the race site several times before the race weekend especially if it is a new race site. Not only are they spending a lot of time on the pre race stuff but none of it is reimbursed either. Anyways, at this point I'm leaning more towards keeping it simple for ladies ar registration and the treasurer and just lowering entry fees a little bit and not paying tow money. This way everyone benefits and it does not require any extra work. We'll see what the club wants to do when we start discussing the '10 season this fall.

Try to find out what the USTS does and APR. Both are different from what we do, especially APR, but they might give you some ideas.

Good luck!

Bill
                          Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

Bill, #1 & #2 seem to be in conflict with #6

How would you suggest this be resolved?

Comment

So Kev.... when you coming out west? Seems like your coffee is a part of a successful race!

Comment

Working...
                              X