Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Problem

Frank:

No problem, I was sure you were talking about the Looper when you mentioned the heads. We don't have much history about these days, and the reason I mentioned Stan Sr's dislike of the Merc's in C Service and the fact I was positive he had nothing to do with that motor, is for that very reason, it is History of our sport. If it wasn't for "characters" like Stan Sr., the sport would have been much duller in those years that he was making pistons for Quincy, building engines for both Alky and Mod, including some VERY fast Speeditwins, and keeping Butch in line when he was younger. I remember one morning at Alex in the 70's, Butch was testing after a LONG nite, and everything the old man put on the boat blew up. Butch was complaining about the problem and the old man said "if you would just keep from breathing on them, they would be OK." His interaction with Harry Pasturczak, another engine builder of Polish decent, was something to see and listen to when they got together.

One more quick story about Stan Sr. We pulled into a motel in Memphis in the wee hours of the morning to attend Marshall Grants race there, which was a really big race at the time. Even though my reservation was for that DATE, the desk clerk kept saying that since her shift was not over yet until 8:00AM, and she had started work at 10:00 PM the previous evening, it was still the previous day as far as she was concerned, and we could not check in until the day shift came to work and she went home. Needless to say, after an all nighter in the car with more beer than we needed, we got a little loud trying to convince her it was OK to give us a room then. We did not prevail.

Several years later after I had gotten to know Harry Pasturczak well, he mentioned to me that the first time he ever saw me he thought I was Stan Sr. I asked him whatever gave him that idea, and he related the story about seeing me at the desk of the motel in Memphis trying to check in early in the morning and the girl not letting us. I had Butchs' Y-2 brand new DeSilva runabout on the bottom of my trailer at the time and my hydro on top, and Harry knew that Y-2 was Stan's number. He told me he had heard that Stan Sr. could be kind of "out of sorts" when he was upset about something, and because of the boat outside, and him not having met either of us at the time, and the argument going on at the desk, he naturally assumed that I was Stan Sr. Stan did NOT think that was funny to be confused with me, and always said Butch would have turned out much better if he had not had me around to "lead him astray". Butch and I always got a big kick out of that and still do. If you ever knew Butch in those days, you know he needed no help at all, from me or anyone else.

Comment

Working...
    X