New DSH update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DSH update

After the thrashing I took at Nationals...I was going to take new DSH I am building and cut it up with a chain saw...but on further reflection I decided to keep at it. Lol. I am on day 7 of project...while it does not look a whole lot diff. then the last time I made a post, I have made quite a lot of headway. All of the frames and gussets are in place, as well as 5 of the 9 stingers needed to support the bottom. A lot of the work involved is making sure all of the stringers are at the same height...sometimes you have to shim a few of them up or down to make this happen. It is super important to get this right, if you don't you have to stink block the heck out of the bottom of even pour a new bottom if it is really bad. Wed. afternoon I will attach the rest of the stingers, then attach frame one, which is cut out and laying on bench. After that I will lay down both parts of the bottom..should be done with that by Friday.
    Attached Files

wrong pic

Actually, I uploaded the wrong pic. the boat is upside down, with work done like I said.
    Attached Files

Comment

Drivethrough!!!!

Comment

transom!

build it EXTRA stout!!!!!!!!
        Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Drive thru

I am sure Troy will be happy to help me fix boat after he wrecks it...just like last time!

Comment

Flat Board The Stringers First

Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
            After the thrashing I took at Nationals...I was going to take new DSH I am building and cut it up with a chain saw...but on further reflection I decided to keep at it. Lol. I am on day 7 of project...while it does not look a whole lot diff. then the last time I made a post, I have made quite a lot of headway. All of the frames and gussets are in place, as well as 5 of the 9 stingers needed to support the bottom. A lot of the work involved is making sure all of the stringers are at the same height...sometimes you have to shim a few of them up or down to make this happen. It is super important to get this right, if you don't you have to stink block the heck out of the bottom of even pour a new bottom if it is really bad. Wed. afternoon I will attach the rest of the stingers, then attach frame one, which is cut out and laying on bench. After that I will lay down both parts of the bottom..should be done with that by Friday.
            Dave,

Flat board the stringers before you put the bottom on.
            sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

DSH update

Flatboarded all stringers yesterday, ran down to Crosscut Hardwoods and picked up some really nice 6 mil for the bottom as well as sponson wood. Used 3 mil for the front of the bottom to keep the weight down. Used Tap Plastics 1-1 epoxy to hold everything together...really like this stuff, as it is easy to mix as opposed to West System. Next move is to put in sponson formers on both sides, which I will cut out and install Sunday afternoon after work.
              Attached Files

Comment

Drive through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 99R View Post
                  Drive through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  What?? haha
                  28-R

Comment

DSH update

Here is where I am at on new boat. Bottom is all done, worked this afternoon on the right chine....it came out super nice. Here are a few pics of it. Next move it to finish the right sponson..has 3 angles so it will take a fair amount of time. Hope to have boat turned over this Saturday, decks will go on this sunday. I hope.

Comment

pics

Here are pics of boat.
                      Attached Files

Comment

DSH update

Worked my butt off, have both the right chine and the right 3 angle sponson done. Here are a few pics. Worked a little wed night, attached the left sponson former onto frame...will hopefully get the whole left side of boat done thursday night...boat will be ready to turn over Friday afternoon, when I can start working on deck stringers and stuff...getting ready to deck boat Sunday.

Comment

I have never built a boat, and one of these days, I want to, so I'm checking out your pictures.

Are you building your boat on sawhorses? No formal jig? What kind of boat is that?

Comment

Just wondering how you spliced the bottom together and feathered in the two different thicknesses since you used thinner material on the front third.

You must be retire cause you are flying thru this boat build.

What race are you shooting for completion?
                            Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Dsh

Well..I have about 25 years left before I retire...I am getting up early to get my reg work done, then going to shop to get work done. I have used a jig to keep everything straight, you just don't see it in some pics. It is now out of jig and sitting on horses. I did not feather or scarf the two bottom pieces together...I butted them together and jused shims to equal everything out. Kind of hard to explain, but it works out well.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X