• Show
Clear All

• J.Michael Kelly update

From yesterday's Detroit News:

Hydroplane racing

Rookie makes waves

Kelly adjusts quickly to hydroplane racing's top Unlimited Class

By Paul Scurlock / The Detroit News

ST. CLAIR — In an unlimited hydroplane season filled with outlaw races, small fields of boats and general lack of direction, one of the few bright stars has been 25-year-old rookie driver J. Michael Kelly.

Kelly of Puyallup, Wash., a Seattle suburb, started his racing career at age 9 and has progressed to the Unlimited Class with Jim Harvey’s U-2 racing team.

“I can’t remember a time when I didn’t want to race,” Kelly said. “I moved right from five liters to the unlimiteds, a jump like going from Class A ball to the major leagues.

“My first start in Tri-Cities, Washington, was great. I had guys I grew up with watching, trying to give me pointers and help. My second start was in Seattle, at home and all of my friends and family were there, it was great. I can’t wait to have the chance to race in Detroit and the other cities on the circuit.”

With third- and fifth-place finishes from his new driver, team owner Jim Harvey sees good things.

“He has changed the entire team’s attitudes with just his enthusiasm” Harvey said. “He’s made it fun to go racing again for all of us.”

Kelly finished second in his only heat Saturday during the Budweiser Bluewater International Hydrofest on the St. Clair River.

Heavy freighter traffic forced a delay of more than two hours in Saturday’s heats. Instead of running two four-boat heats, race officials were forced to run two three-boat heats.

Race spokesman Paul Dingeman said it was an unusually high amount of freighter trafic.

“We have had over 25 ships come through in two days. That’s normally a week’s worth,” he said.

The situation was complicated by a rule requiring a one-hour break between heats.

Race officials were in contact with the Sarnia control center.

“They would tell us that we had traffic coming in 45 minutes and suddenly the boat was here in 20 minutes. We couldn’t give the teams the break mandated in the rules, so the only thing we could do was go to three-boat heats,” Hydro/Prop Director of Competition Rick Sandstrom said.

In Saturday morning’s final qualifying session, Dave Villwock and the Miss Budweiser established a new Hydro-Prop record of 163.788 miles per hour, breaking the existing mark of 162.666 set by Nate Brown in the U-16 Miss Elam Plus in 2002 on the Columbia River in Washington State.

When heat 1A was finally run, Villwock and the Bud took an easy flag-to-flag victory, turning a fast lap of 153.730. Terry Troxll and the Elam were second.

Today’s activities begin with testing at 8:30 a.m. Heat 2A is scheduled for 11:30 and the final is set for 3:40 p.m.

You can reach Paul Scurlock at (313) 223-1482 or pscurlock@detnews.com.
    14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

One of the greats...

I ran into a teacher friend....she said, "Her friend's son started racing Hydroplanes and did I know J. Michael Kelly."

I told her, "Yes, I know J. Michael Kelly....One of the best drivers in the world..."...The teacher knew that I never lie!!!! (To her)...

His style reminds me of the late Jim MacKay...Jimmy could drive a hydro.. he could drive a tunnel...

A toast to J. Michael's future..."Good racing young man!!!"...

It is too your fault 14-H!!!

Comment

Ron,

Thanks for your kind words about Jim . . .

I just joined this great Hydroracer.net group and was cruising through some threads (I guess that's what you call them) when I came across your comments.

Jean Mackay

Comment

J Michael Kelly is a good friend, sportsman, and driver no matter what class he runs wether it is stock, mod, pro, or unlimited. He has definately earned the unlimted ranks he is currently running. However, we do miss him at the local o/b races. Hats off to his achievments.

Mike Sattler
        Sattler Racing R-15
        350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
        TEAM VRP
        The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

wether ?? not sure what you mean?

Comment

Mike,

Yes, I agree . . . I have competed with Mike for several years in ASH, even beating him a couple of times. How did that happen??? We have travelled to the Northwest to compete with him and I have always ejoyed racing against him, even when he dusts me, because he is a good & fair driver and sportsman.

Comment

Jeanie...

I guess I can call you that... Mrs. Schwartz???

The good ones, have always been that way...good sports, good honest driving, fair...Your brother Jim fit that bill also.

Thanks for the kind words, I've always called them as I see them... Having taught more than 5,000 kids, you learn to judge talent...

Comment

Working...
              X