Kitsap Lake Fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitsap Lake Fuel

I spoke with Dave Anderson (inspector) today and the fuel of the day rule will be in effect.

Dave will buy fuel at the Chevron station at 4399 Kitsap way to use as a base measurement, this is the same exit as the race but it is RIGHT at the light and down the street a bit on the right (before Uncle Don's)

Dave should have the fuel meter set up sometime Friday afternoon for comparisons.

Weather looks great for the weekend so grab your boats and make this a great turn out as John and Dwight have worked their butts off to make this happen.

Carl

Originally posted by mrlou40 View Post
    I spoke with Dave Anderson (inspector) today and the fuel of the day rule will be in effect.

Dave will buy fuel at the Chevron station at 4399 Kitsap way to use as a base measurement, this is the same exit as the race but it is RIGHT at the light and down the street a bit on the right (before Uncle Don's)

Dave should have the fuel meter set up sometime Friday afternoon for comparisons.

Weather looks great for the weekend so grab your boats and make this a great turn out as John and Dwight have worked their butts off to make this happen.

Carl
    I wonder if the fuel at Uncle don's will pass the fuel meter?

NYC east coast food,leaded fuel and NASCAR on the big screen
    racin don't get any better!!!!!!!!
    Marc
    R-58
    vrp/sattler power

sigpic

Comment

Isn't a fuel of the day illegal? So if I buy non-ethanol fuel and read negative 50. But the "fuel of the day" at the cheveron is poisitive 50. Wouldn't there technically be an advantage? I'm just asking. Not quite sure? Can the fuel of the day be technically illegal?
      Last edited by Racerkyle20; 05-14-2009, 04:26 PM.
      Kyle Bahl
      20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Example, fuel of the day reading is +60, any fuel that reads anything up to +60 is legal, so you would be very legal with non alcohol gas. Someone using E-10 alcohol blended fuel will read higher (in the +60 area) but alcohol, ethanol, has less BTU's, less energy=less performance (in most cases). The one problem I see is if someone is going to cheat the "fuel of the day" allowance will give a cheater more room to cheat, (IMO).

Fuel of the day is for non-record, non-divisional and obviously no Nationals.

Comment

Originally posted by ricochet112 View Post
          Example, fuel of the day reading is +60, any fuel that reads anything up to +60 is legal, so you would be very legal with non alcohol gas. Someone using E-10 alcohol blended fuel will read higher (in the +60 area) but alcohol, ethanol, has less BTU's, less energy=less performance (in most cases). The one problem I see is if someone is going to cheat the "fuel of the day" allowance will give a cheater more room to cheat, (IMO).

Fuel of the day is for non-record, non-divisional and obviously no Nationals.
          Okay so the question is how much of an advantage would one get if i was running -50 metered fuel and someone else was running +50 metered fuel? assuming +50 would be legal metered fuel of the day....
          Kyle Bahl
          20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Originally posted by Racerkyle20 View Post
            Okay so the question is how much of an advantage would one get if i was running -50 metered fuel and someone else was running +50 metered fuel? assuming +50 would be legal metered fuel of the day....
            Kyle

Let us know what you find out after the weekend is over
            Sean Byrne

Comment

Alcohol carries away more heat when it evaporates than gas does, this can increase the amount of air going in to the motor ... also alcohol has higher octane than most of the base ingredients of gas, you might get some advantage if you can adjust your ignition timing and carb jetting over straight gas. If you can adjust your carb for more fuel flow, it completely makes up for the fact that alcohol has less fuel energy.

Any advantage would come down to testing and adjusting; probably take a day on the water. The guys who do that much testing are already in front.

Comment

Carl

I'll keep it short.
                Why, at the last minute, are we doing a fuel of the day for Kitsap Lake?
                We didn't seem to have a problem at Mayfield, and I didn't hear a problem voiced at the BOD meeting this past week? Please share within the region.

Thanks Jim

Comment

Jim,
                  Dave tonge, (sp) the inspector at Mayfield knew what fuel would read from say a shell or chevron station and gave racers a bit of leeway as far as the meter was concerned. I did help inspect 2 classes with Dave and told him what I found in each tank, some had way good fuel (-220), most were -50 to -60 and a few were over,(a bit in the plus range) the ones who were over had purchased their fuel from a station close to home or on the way to the race and did not think it would be illegal and as far as the outcome of the race it did not make any difference ( as the one's who blew over the reading were not in the hunt any way.

The point of this is I have had 5 calls this week (why me??) asking what do to about fuel, where do we buy it,ect, ect. so this is why I spoke with Dave Anderson about this.

I don't think any one out our way has the time to mix any secret blends yet alone have the time ( or the chemistry major ) to test them, or to get caught and get a life time ban from racing, I'm just trying to look out for the new racers who don't have any idea whats what as far as fuel is concerned.

If you shop correctly you can find fuel at some stations that will be good with the meter, I'm making that trip tomorrow, it is a bit out of my way, but we want to check consistency and comparison's with our set ups and boats to see where we are at, as Kyle will be running "old Blue " this weekend so for us why do anything different.

No offense to the BOD but did any one from the board ask Dave T. what he found for readings at Mayfield???

I have not been on Hydroracer much this past winter so I don't know if there was much discussion about this nationally, nor have I heard what other regions are doing about this for their local races.(chime in please)

RULE 18 • Fuel
                  The Jun ior Clases and Stock Outb oard Clases
                  1. Additives which produce power in excess of that produced by standard pump gasoline and petroleum base oils shall not be permitted. The list of illegal
                  additives includes, but is not limited to, alcohols, nitrates, and other oxygen bearing compounds. Gasohol is not a legal fuel. The baseline for determining
                  legal fuel will be a zero reading on a Digatron meter or equivalent as defined by the Stock Outboard Inspection Manual. At each regatta the inspector
                  may purchase a sample of local gasoline, mix it with TCIII oil at a ratio of 8:1 and test it according to the technical manual. If the test fuel exceeds the
                  zero Digatron threshold, the higher reading will become the maximum limit of the day. The source and grade of the gasoline must be announced when
                  registration opens. At that time, testing equipment must be available to all competitors. This rule is not applicable at championship (Nationals, Marathon
                  Nationals, Winter Nationals, Divisionals, North American) races, straightaway or record races

I hope this answers any questions, I did not mean to open the old Pandora's box, But I wanted to know what Dave was going to look for before we all got to the race site.

Carl
                  Last edited by mrlou40; 05-15-2009, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Wild Turkey

Carl,

Wild Turkey 101 Octane, Now that's what I'm talking about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deano

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Jim,
                      Dave tonge, (sp) the inspector at Mayfield knew what fuel would read from say a shell or chevron station and gave racers a bit of leeway as far as the meter was concerned. I did help inspect 2 classes with Dave and told him what I found in each tank, some had way good fuel (-220), most were -50 to -60 and a few were over,(a bit in the plus range) the ones who were over had purchased their fuel from a station close to home or on the way to the race and did not think it would be illegal and as far as the outcome of the race it did not make any difference ( as the one's who blew over the reading were not in the hunt any way.

The point of this is I have had 5 calls this week (why me??) asking what do to about fuel, where do we buy it,ect, ect. so this is why I spoke with Dave Anderson about this.

I don't think any one out our way has the time to mix any secret blends yet alone have the time ( or the chemistry major ) to test them, or to get caught and get a life time ban from racing, I'm just trying to look out for the new racers who don't have any idea whats what as far as fuel is concerned.

If you shop correctly you can find fuel at some stations that will be good with the meter, I'm making that trip tomorrow, it is a bit out of my way, but we want to check consistency and comparison's with our set ups and boats to see where we are at, as Kyle will be running "old Blue " this weekend so for us why do anything different.

No offense to the BOD but did any one from the board ask Dave T. what he found for readings at Mayfield???

I have not been on Hydroracer much this past winter so I don't know if there was much discussion about this nationally, nor have I heard what other regions are doing about this for their local races.(chime in please)

RULE 18 • Fuel
                      1. Additives which produce power in excess of that produced by standard pump gasoline and petroleum base oils shall not be permitted. The list of illegal
                      additives includes, but is not limited to, alcohols, nitrates, and other oxygen bearing compounds. Gasohol is not a legal fuel. The baseline for determining
                      legal fuel will be a zero reading on a Digatron meter or equivalent as defined by the Stock Outboard Inspection Manual. At each regatta the inspector
                      may purchase a sample of local gasoline, mix it with TCIII oil at a ratio of 8:1 and test it according to the technical manual. If the test fuel exceeds the
                      zero Digatron threshold, the higher reading will become the maximum limit of the day. The source and grade of the gasoline must be announced when
                      registration opens. At that time, testing equipment must be available to all competitors. This rule is not applicable at championship (Nationals, Marathon
                      Nationals, Winter Nationals, Divisionals, North American) races, straightaway or record races

I hope this answers any questions, I did not mean to open the old Pandora's box, But I wanted to know what Dave was going to look for before we all got to the race site.

Carl
                      Got it. Thanks Carl

Jim

Comment

Jim,

RULE 18 • Fuel

Carl

Not the BOD's responsibility. The race committe and the insepector, referee's, etc are the ones who need to do the job and then address the BOD with any issues. Communication is key, we will try to address fuel of the day on the circulars and again at registration and drivers meeting. If the fuel of the day rule is in effect, there will be no leeway after the maximum limit is reached.

Comment

Working...
                        X