Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can You Identify These Drivers from 1976?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom Small- Don Eldredge

Picture 6 is my dad Tommy Small driving a Gene APEL ( Jim Apels dad) built boat, photo 7 and 8 are Don Eldredge. They were all using the single pipe 250 konig. Looks like photos were from OCOEE.

Comment

While the stocks are away...

...the alkys can play. More from Ocoee, Florida 1977

Photo 9 - F4

Photo 10 - F48

Photo 11 - F23. The driver's name is on the front of his helmet but I can't read it. By the script it looks like it ends in "y", like Harry or Henry

Photo 12 - F22

Comment

The driver in photo #9 is David Westbrook

I believe that #10 is Melvin Cooper

Not sure on #11

Driver in pic #12 is Ralph Donald

Comment

Photo names

Photo 11 is TOMMY HOOTEN, the cowl says F-23, but the boat says F-88, which was Tommys number for years. Notice the driving gloves, he always wore them. Number 12 is Ralph Donald in a KARELSON HULL.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Small
            Number 12 is Ralph Donald in a KARELSON HULL.
            Sorry Tim, but that is an A/H, Anderson/Hering as in Ron and Bob. I always liked the looks of those boats, early Pugh's "resembled them".
            " It's a sad day when you've outgrown everything"
            Art Pugh

Comment

Do you want some more?

You all are good. You're guessing them faster than I can scan them & tweak them.

I'm beginning to have some sympathy/empathy for those on the judges stand who have to read the boat numbers. I'm having trouble reading them in a still photo but they have to figure them out as they zip by at 60+ MPH.

Do you want some more?

Comment

Always want more

Always want more.......... keep them coming !!
                Dave Mason
                Just A Boat Racer

Comment

More Alkys, More Pit Shots

I'm saving the Stocks for after the Nationals are over. From Ocoee 1977:

Photo 13 - This is the companion photo to Photo 1, before the rope was pulled. You can clearly see the faces of two of the starters.

Photo 14 - F9

Photo 15 - Make boat racing interesting and everyone will watch! This Bay belongs to Lonnie, the guy whose patrol boat I was in that day. Appears to be ASR running. The only boat number I can read is on the right, 40F.

Photo 16 - I can't be sure, but it looks like F-81 in the center, or F-8? But hey, the helmet is off so this should be easy! F4 runabout on the right with kids on top of the trailer. And what do you suppose those three gents are debating?
                  Last edited by High Point; 08-13-2004, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Pictures

Photo 14 is Bill Troyer, 350 konig, Marchetti Hull, Photo 16 might be Cindy Hosler, And the 3 guys in the photo are Buddy Smith, Tom Small, and I think Bill HOSLER.

Comment

Photo 16

Thats Bill Hosler alright. The trailer to the right is Bill's "Ichiban Race Team" We later had that trailer and used it till it was used up and gave it to another racer. Looks like Cindy in the boat, but the boat looks like a 250. I think she may have run one breifly before quiting. Her 125 boat ws a tiny thing called "Chantilly Lace". Of those, there were two built, the other for Rick Tudor.
                      Art Pugh

Comment

Photo 13

Photo 13 - Tim Townsend lifting on left (exhaust side), Gene Lambert roping (with his token Stogie/Cigar), Bill Kuhn lifting rightside, Chuck Gurr Driver.

Speaking of trailer names,
                        10 points for who ever first remembers Trebor Billiters team name.
                        Hint: the pic on the trailer (of the 2 things holding hands) didn't have anything to do with "#1".

Guy
                        G

Comment

" GYST"
                          Git Yer *$&% Together! I'm sure I have a pic of it in the archives. Also got one of "Treebear" on a Honda QA 50
                          Art Pugh

Comment

77 PRO Nationals, Winona

A little clarafication of this nationals.
                            There were 63 entries then known as AOH, now as 250CCH.
                            The East and West Divisional champions at that time automatically qualified for a spot in the nationals. That left 10 spots for 61 boats in qualification heats. There were 6 heats. The 6 first place qualified and then only 4 second place finishers qualified, determined by elapse time.
                            My qualification heat was like the nationals itself. Some that I remember are: Skip Bierbarie, John Yale, Hoz Compton, Dan Kirts, Malcolm Harden, I can't recall the others. I got a good start and held down First place. Skip Bierbarie finished second. In third place was Hoz Compton, until he unfortunately pulled his Kill switch on the second lap.
                            Roy Conklin

Comment

trebor billiter

The naqme of Trebs team was gyst-which stood for Get Your S---- together according to Treb

Comment

Working...
                              X