When the red flag flies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the red flag flies

As some of you may know, I was involved in a bad wreck in Pineville at the Winter Nationals; fortunately nobody was hurt. Thanks to all the people who showed concern for me at the race and all who called.

One thing I noticed while I was in the water was that quite a few drivers came circling around the crash site to take a look and to, I am sure, see if the drivers were okay. There certainly is a time and a place for this action, that being when the patrol boat is not in the immediate vicinity and you are sure the driver needs help. On the other hand, when you go back to a crash site when the patrol boats have already responded, you do two things:

1. You create waves, which makes the rescue crew's job much more difficult.
    2. You make noise, which impedes radio communication
    between the patrol boats and the judge's stand and/or ambulance. This
    is especially true with the modified and PRO categories.

I know it's difficult to fight the impulse to go back when it's a friend in the water and I have been guilty of it myself. Let's all use good judgment the next time the red flag flies.

-- Billy Allen
    Twisted Sister

Well put my friend!

"The Coffee Guy"
    TEAM CAFFEINE
    Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
    " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Very good points, Glad to hear everyone was OK.

See ya in may.
      Silas Jordan
      Windham, Maine
      CSR 53A (2B till the boat gets redone)
      Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

Billy, once again, I'm very glad neither you or Tony were injured. I do also appreciate the advice, and as a fellow competitor and friend to most, have (and was one who did in this situation) been guilty of circling and have failed to consider this action to interfere with the rescue crew's job. I will keep this in mind. Thanks for the wise word of the day man. See you in Grass Lake/DePue.
        28-R

Comment

You are totally correct Billy. The folks should stay away and let those identified to assist do so. In their defense, maybe they just wanted to see you walk on water. Glad you are doing well and I am also. It was good to see you this last weekend. Your fan and friend, Jack.

Comment

Billy glad you're doing alright!
            Kyle Bahl
            20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Many, many, moons ago I did start line flags for the now long defunct Florida Inboard Racing Club. I was at a race where a boat flipped right in front of the pits. A driver in the pits had his boat in the water getting ready for his heat. The driver jumped behind the wheel, hit the starter, and charged out to the crash site. The ambulance boat had to swerve to avoid running into the speeding boat. Oh yeah, the driver was not wearing a helmet or a life jacket. After the wreck was cleaned up, the referee, Bob Fields, called the "hero" driver to the judges stand and took his drivers card,...forever.

In another incident, 9 boats started a heat. Just before the end of the first lap a boat in the back of the pack flipped. Of course the red flags came out and all the boats were completely stopped within 1 lap, all but one. He ran two more laps right past the crashed boat and ambulance boat. The referee at that race, Billy Allen, also kept the drivers card.

Flags should be kept in all turn boats, and no one around the judges stand, or on patrol boats, should wear a red shirt. I saw a racer stop when he mistook a red shirt for a red flag ,...and not me, by the guy doing the start line flags at another race.

Comment

Only If

I was invovlved in a situation at Alex LA race one year. It was in 850CCMH. I got boxed at the start and got a horrible start, last over, I looked ahead going balls to the wall and I saw something unfold halfway down, Trish Lunds steering bar broke and snap rolled the rig into Jack Stotts (back when he was young and dumb and full of something.... sorry Jack had to) which caused both rigs to crash hard right in front of me. I managed to barley avoid the carnage. I circled back around to cross the line again and continue racing should a flag not be thrown to cancel the heat. As I went back by the wreck I looked, Trish was injured. I motioned to her and she shook her head no. I continued on to the turn and motioned for the rescue boat to hurry over there. I did a shorter circle making sure a flag would be thrown. Well in the meantime the rescue boat would not fire. I circled on more time to them and waved to get their arses moving. They motioned to the engine and hands up, would not start pose. I went back to scene and jumped. Trish was not injured to the point of life threatening, but hurt shoulder none the less. It is in this instance that a fellow racer should stop and help. Give the rescue folks a chance. I know our first intinct is to help, that is human nature.

Lesson learned hopefully.
                Dave Mason
                Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Dave I hope one of the lessons learned was NEVER SHUT THE RESCUE BOAT MOTOR OFF.
                  To me it is unacceptable to have the rescue or patrol boats not running while racing is underway. or about to be underway. to me it is imperative to minimize the variables affecting a quick response when there is a crash. since no one knows WHEN a bad crash will occur the engines must remain running
                  my 2 peso's worth
                  Last edited by Kev43V; 03-26-2009, 09:13 AM. Reason: clarification

"The Coffee Guy"
                  TEAM CAFFEINE
                  Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                  " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Why They Were There

Bill: Those boats were not in the first turn due to coming down there to look at what happened. They were there because THEY WERE NOT WATCHING THE FLAGS! You didn't hear this because you were being transported in on the Rescue Boat, but the Chief Referee gave all of the C Stock Hydro drivers a royal azz-chewing over the PA after they had their helmets off.

Drivers: please watch the flags! Our rescue boats are trying to help people who might need it and your failure to watch the flags causes you to get in the way. Eddie.
                    Last edited by 14-H; 03-26-2009, 02:50 PM.
                    14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Add:

Bill: get your own HR username especially if you don't speak French.
                      14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Lessons

1. Never turn off engines in patrol boat.

2. Don't stop your race boat unless common sense tells you too.

3. Watch the flags. - From this lesson (I have seen a whole race completed under the black and or red flag) is there some sort of penalty that could be assesed ? Yellow card or something ?
                        Dave Mason
                        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

I could see that as being a yellow card situation. But hey, we don't need any more silly rules do we?
                          John Runne
                          2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Silly ?

Originally posted by csh2z View Post
                            I could see that as being a yellow card situation. But hey, we don't need any more silly rules do we?
                            I guess it was silly of me to consider it... Makes more sense than a lot of the silly rules in place. Well, at least it could be worded simply and effectivley...... Continuing to race under a red or black flag condition will result in a yellow card. Of course you could word it up should you choose....
                            Dave Mason
                            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Dave, I think you missed Dad's sarcasm. He was simly pointing out the contradiction of your post with other postings you have made regarding the number of rules in our book.

Another lesson: Always check your Rescue/Patrol boat before hitting the water. Particularly gas, god knows you don't want to run out with someone dying in the water.
                              Ryan Runne
                              9-H
                              Wacusee Speedboats
                              ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

Working...
                              X