Laydown mirrors MOD ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laydown mirrors MOD ????

In need of open minded help for mirrors on a Mod laydown hydro. It is a copy of a Karlson once driven by Cheney Street. Here is the problem we are having. There is not place to put them and be in the rules set forth by the safety commisssss, The way the boat is set up with lift point and location of the steering wheel the ramp is way to low and need to be rasied about four inches which put my sholder about 4 1/2 inches above the side board to see the mirrors I could cut the side board down 4 inch and weaking the sides not a good idea. If I don't cut the side I can mount them threw the windsheld another bad Idea. I need the mirrors about 5 inch in front of my eyes as for safety reason with helmet restraintes the movement of my helment is somewhat limited. I could mount the throw the fiberglass front cowl but then I would have to look threw the windsheid. the second to last option ,stantion on the deck like a lemans racecar or use westcoast truck mirrors as conard down the straight aways and down for the cornors. Just maybe the pro boat that run mirrors lift point are different the Mod but this sucks there IS NO PLACE ON THIS BOAT TO MOUNT MIRRORS THAT TO BE USED FOR THE INTENT OF THE RULES AND WHICH DO NOT PUT THE DRIVER IN A UNSAFE POSITION WHILE DRIVING . THIS IS NO JOKE!!!!!!! If I have to hang these piece of ----- on the boat to be legal they will be on but there is no safe place to but them . I know where I would like to put them but this a familly site. dennis westby the spud I'm going to the bar.:

With raceboats such as ours being so bouncy and twitchy, mirrors are worthless anyway, so just mount them anywhere convenient and call it good. Our head and body tend to move around so much (relative to the focal point on a tiny mirror) that it tends to render the mirrors worthless. So, buy some nice ones because they're just for looks anyway.

Comment

i just put the mirrors on my 850mod. its getting a new paint job anyway.
      i got them online from a pwc supplyer. $60.00 including shipping they are ment for water craft, so they should work.
      Attached Files

Comment

also, these mirrors can be adjusted and they are ball and seat. they say they dont vibrate. { we shall see} hope this helps

chuck 280-p

Comment

Originally posted by dwestby View Post
          In need of open minded help for mirrors on a Mod laydown hydro. It is a copy of a Karlson once driven by Cheney Street. Here is the problem we are having. There is not place to put them and be in the rules set forth by the safety commisssss, The way the boat is set up with lift point and location of the steering wheel the ramp is way to low and need to be rasied about four inches which put my sholder about 4 1/2 inches above the side board to see the mirrors I could cut the side board down 4 inch and weaking the sides not a good idea. If I don't cut the side I can mount them threw the windsheld another bad Idea. I need the mirrors about 5 inch in front of my eyes as for safety reason with helmet restraintes the movement of my helment is somewhat limited. I could mount the throw the fiberglass front cowl but then I would have to look threw the windsheid. the second to last option ,stantion on the deck like a lemans racecar or use westcoast truck mirrors as conard down the straight aways and down for the cornors. Just maybe the pro boat that run mirrors lift point are different the Mod but this sucks there IS NO PLACE ON THIS BOAT TO MOUNT MIRRORS THAT TO BE USED FOR THE INTENT OF THE RULES AND WHICH DO NOT PUT THE DRIVER IN A UNSAFE POSITION WHILE DRIVING . THIS IS NO JOKE!!!!!!! If I have to hang these piece of ----- on the boat to be legal they will be on but there is no safe place to but them . I know where I would like to put them but this a familly site. dennis westby the spud I'm going to the bar.:
          Just because they say you have to have them on the boat, doesnt mean you have to use them....

I'd rather be wearing a helmet harness (which i do) and be down in the cockpit, than be able to see out of some worthless vibrating mirrors
          Sattler Racing R-15
          350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
          TEAM VRP
          The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

sheez..........

45's vibrate like a sum biotch too and the mirrors work just fine!!!!!!!!! If the mirrors help prevent one accident, then they have done their job. Some have stated it "might" be dangerous to have to look into them them, but it sure is a LOT safer to have to look FORWARD into them, versus turning your head sideways and looking backwards (if at all possible even).............
            Last edited by mercguy; 03-22-2009, 06:48 PM.
            Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Long Course Views

Hey Spud,

The only time a mirror has been beneficial to me was once on a long course with calm water where someone tried to squeeze me outside in a tight corner entry point in my kneeler and I "closed the door" on him twice. Most of the time the flat, blue-tinted side mirror was worthless because it had too narrow of a field of view and my head jiggled around too much in rough water. It was a larger, paintable black plastic, turbo-style sports car mirror (blue filter optically-tinted, similar to the ones shown on the mod laydown in the picture above.)

If I were going to use a mirror on a laydown, I would only mount one CONVEX mirror on the left side. If your head does not pop up a little over the windshield going into the corner, you will not be able to watch the mirror (or the tips of your pickleforks to avoid that occasional, disastrous "stuff-it" crash or FOD from the last guy that crashed.) Don't concern yourself about looking into a mirror when you are slid back and tucked down in the straitaway.

To be useful, the mirror should be mounted off the nose just in front of your dash on the left. It might look ugly, but you might need to attach a "blister mount" on your deck with an arm-style post mirror (look at pictures of recent Formula 1 and Indy race car mounting designs.) Another option is you can mount a mirror with an arm post low on the windscreen with an inside backing plate (the backing plate can be made of tough, clear plastic) that cross ties to your nose shell and the lower edge of the windscreen.

I would look for a motorcycle mirror rather than a car mirror, as sportbikes have more options for post mount mirror applications (you might need to fabricate your own base plate.) As an example, a 2006 Kawasaki 650 Ninja part #56001-0043 LH sportbike mirror might be a good candidate (it mounts with two stainless steel studs, it has a good field of view adjustment span, and the post is a good length.) You might need to buy a stick-on convex mirror (at a truck stop or internet website) instead of using the stock flat mirror's surface.

I don't think the traditional sports car "turbo's" work that well on low profile laydown hydros (mine on my JDS kneeler would sometimes jiggle up out of the desired lake surface view angle, and one of my two base mount bolts sheared during a C-mod race last year.) Make sure the mirror's surface is coated with a protective light blue or green film to reduce sun and water reflective glare, or it may blind you when the sun is low on the horizon. Just some ideas for you to consider...

Best Regards,
              Al
              Last edited by Al Peffley; 03-22-2009, 06:53 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
                45's If the mirrors help prevent one accident, then they have done their job...
                I totally agree with you.

But I can see some issues with mounting them on the cockpit sides for the guys that lay farther forward than others.
                Sattler Racing R-15
                350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                TEAM VRP

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

I do not have a problem with the mirrors as such. I do not think they will work or be used . The problem is the safety rule state the have to mounted so they are functional,since it is a safety rule if one is broken in a heat it has to be replaced before the next heat ?????Safey rule over ride all . IF Mike S read this mybe he can help me down a picture of the hydro in question and you my see what I am talking about. If they are to be functual they have to mount somewhere if dislodge they would not destroy the cowling and put the driver at risk If I could cut and paste I think those are the term to add the rule to this post I would the wording is functional and something about view being able to seen from the driving position. or something like that spud

Comment

I do not have a problem with the mirrors as such. I do not think they will work or be used . The problem is the safety rule state the have to mounted so they are functional,since it is a safety rule if one is broken in a heat it has to be replaced before the next heat ?????Safey rule over ride all . IF Mike S read this mybe he can help me down a picture of the hydro in question and you my see what I am talking about. If they are to be functual they have to mount somewhere if dislodge they would not destroy the cowling and put the driver at risk If I could cut and paste I think those are the term to add the rule to this post I would the wording is functional and something about view being able to seen from the driving position. or something like that spud
                    Dennis, here is the rule, as it will be published in the rule book:

20. All laydown Modified Outboard boats shall have left and right mirrors positioned in such a way that they allow rear vision from the driving position. Each mirror must be a minimum area of six (6) square inches of reflective surface. Mirrors are not required during kilo trials.
                    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pro350hydro View Post
                      I totally agree with you.

But I can see some issues with mounting them on the cockpit sides for the guys that lay farther forward than others.

I agree with the issue you are stating Mike. If one "thinks" a little more, he/she can accomodate to this rule on every laydown type hydro............hint.......they do not HAVE to be mounted on the cockpit sides....
                      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

I was close then if one is dislodge does it have to be replaced before you race again or if they were once you are cleared to race the next heat and the next day. Trying not to a ______ about this just want to know I do not mind getting thrown out of heat If the rules are broken just want to know what I am in for before it happens. We ran the hydro two years ago in D stock as a kneeler and a laydowm. Might run D stock laydown and D Mod as a kneeler safer the otherway around. If I get the picture post it might help spud

Comment

I was close then if one is dislodge does it have to be replaced before you race again or if they were once you are cleared to race the next heat and the next day. Trying not to a ______ about this just want to know I do not mind getting thrown out of heat If the rules are broken just want to know what I am in for before it happens. We ran the hydro two years ago in D stock as a kneeler and a laydowm. Might run D stock laydown and D Mod as a kneeler safer the otherway around. If I get the picture post it might help spud
                          as in all safety rules, they must be adhered to prior to racing.........just do your best Dennis..........come over and race with us on the west side and have fun.........
                          Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Funny thing about mirrors, you either want them or not. I have said previously that I have a pair from Tim Seebold that outperform all others and I have tried a ton on my laydown that does vibrate.

Thinking I saw Mike Satler not getting off the beach I was running wherever I wanted until Mike came up inside me like a bat out of H___. I put Mike on his head and to this day feel bad about it. I put mirrors on from that day on.

Personal preference. If you have to do it and can find a place, the Seebold mirrors are great.
                            Bill Diamond
                            bdiamond@rrlarson.com

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
                              ............hint.......they do not HAVE to be mounted on the cockpit sides....
                              Was thinking the same thing.
                              Sattler Racing R-15
                              350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                              TEAM VRP

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Working...
                              X