KG4 in AMH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KG4 in AMH

I see the Mod rules says that a KG4 is a legal engine in AMH.Does anyone have a picture of one?They must be heavily modded to run against the hotrods and 20h.Thanks
    Bob

Used to be that the KG4 was the A motor (along with the 15" Hot Rod).... I don't know what the rules are now but the Mercs had to be pretty heavily modified to keep up with the Hot Rods back when A motors ran in A class and B motors ran in B class. Take a look at George Stillwill's site to see some modified A Mercs.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Steve French runs a KG4H mod in A mod. He ran one at the Nationals and came 3rd if I recall.
      Of course a lot of that could be the driver, I suppose
      Brian Hendrick, #66 F
      "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Here is one that I run still not as fast as the hotrods but does run good. KG-4 block and Turner pistons and everything else is MK-25 opened up. You can do most anything to the 15 cu in Merc motor in AMOD.
        Attached Files
        Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Looks good Steve,You gave me some ideas,Did you make that pipe?
          Bob

Comment

Can you run any mid and gearcase in A mod?
            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by KG4 View Post
              Looks good Steve,You gave me some ideas,Did you make that pipe?
              Pipe is a converging Quincy single stack.....but you can't run/clear the KG-green tank band.... But if you can find a old twin stack Quincy.........it locates lower over ports, and will clear the KG-4 and "Lightning" tank bands...you'll have to notch the band above the top pipe.....will try to find pics of mine....really lit up the "old timers" to see a green tank Merc on the Hot-Rod heals.

15 cube legal with ANY mods/exhaust......Merc foot
              20 cube legal (Stock powerhead),......with chamber.....closed/canned-muffler megaphone.....or the commode/conversion....Merc foot

These are a ton of fun to play with at 15CI..... but are a half lap behind a piped 15H/R.....on a good...er lucky day......On a hydro.
              On a runabout .......the 20Merc/commode is close.....Saw Billy Allen and several other "commodes" up front a few times.

The Merc's "Achillie's heal".......apears..... to be it's heavy flywheel....That much mass will only spin/RPM so high compared to the H/R Motoplat flywheel...See George'
              s Motoplat conversion above......very cool!....I've tried to make the Bendix mag with a cut flywheel work but very tempermental!
              Plus the rotary valve control'd induction/radical square ports on the 15 H/R produces about 1/3 more HP than the reed cage and drilled round ports of the Merc.
              The Merc was a mass produced fish'n motor.........I don't think(?) ya saw many stock(?) motoplat sparked Hot-Rods troll'n............

The A/B ......Merc vs H/R rivalry goes back several generations and is still deeply rooted........It was that competition (Speel check!) that inspired "o'l Iron Fist"/Carl K. to have his engineers dig in and come up with the 20H conversion (Freddy Bieger 100N often talked about Merc engineer Charley Strang and the 20H Conversion)
              The same competition that inspired Carl K. to build us the 25SS to go after the Yamato Y80?....The 25XS vs the 102....and the 10XS vs the OMC 10/15?

Dang those must'a been some FUN times.............

Originally posted by bh/ View Post
              Steve French runs a KG4H mod in A mod. He ran one at the Nationals and came 3rd if I recall.
              Of course a lot of that could be the driver, I suppose
              Brian, Was 5th and a half lap down to the 4th place piped Hot-Rod........

19P/100N
              Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 01-25-2009, 02:03 AM.
              100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Working...
              X